Xenon and On

On 10/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

3D Artist Jonathan Cooper set up a test scene to review some of his colony parts, as well as to play with some team color and lighting variations. Coop spends a lot of time obsessing over detail and consistency, and I love how it's paying off as the modules are used in combination.

The two structures immediately behind the Kerbals are Xenon fuel factories. I have no idea why you'd want two of these. These Kerbals must be really excited about tiny space probes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

I like the lighting and looks very realistic but at the same time fun. I like the clod

uds and the sun sets in the factory. I also like how theres a hazy fell like a sandstorm.

On 10/20/2020 at 12:22 AM, Dr. Kerbal said:

I would love to see a giant Bender Satue in KSP2. Imagine a colony with a Bendor statue. That would be awesome!

Shouldn't be hard to build.

On 10/15/2020 at 5:12 PM, Nate Simpson said:

3D Artist Jonathan Cooper set up a test scene to review some of his colony parts, as well as to play with some team color and lighting variations. Coop spends a lot of time obsessing over detail and consistency, and I love how it's paying off as the modules are used in combination.

The two structures immediately behind the Kerbals are Xenon fuel factories. I have no idea why you'd want two of these. These Kerbals must be really excited about tiny space probes.

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

You could use the electrical engines to biuld more efficient spacecraft. I wonder weather KSP2 will have faster electrical engines.

54 minutes ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

You could use the electrical engines to biuld more efficient spacecraft. I wonder weather KSP2 will have faster electrical engines.

I think we don't need faster ion engines, I would argue that we'll need the Dawn nerfed back to 10 times slower like it was originally.

Why so?

KSP2 will allow us to plan and execute in background months long burns, we won't need anymore to have unrealistically high thrust on those engines and that will make them more distinct and useful (and a good training ground for late-game interstellar and interplanetary continuous thrust ships).

Man just think of all the things we could do with TORCHENGINES, METTALIC HYDROGEN NOZZLES, ANIT-MATTER ENGINES, And good ol' ORION Concept. i wonder what happens if you have an Orion engine ignite on the launch pad? will it destroy the pad entirely? will it summon the kraken? or will the game pretend nothing happened? only the developers know the answer to that question. I wonder which engine is more powerful? Torch Engines or Anti-Matter Engines? my honest opinion is Anti-Matter Engines are more powerful and probably gonna be the last engines to unlock in the game. 

Away from the propulsion sector, i wonder if we will get new science experiments (probably not since there are NO MICROTRANSACTIONS). i definitely want MORE AND NEW solar panels (that's for sure), especially if we get to build those monster spacecrafts we see in the KSP2 trailer. i also like those circular solar panels they have on the Mars InSight Lander; they look so cool.

Oh and one last question. i've heard of this term being tossed around CONSTANTLY and its actually in Balsa Flight Simulator (Squad's new game). what are "procedural wings"?

2 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Balsa Flight Simulator (Squad's new game)

Balsa Flight Simulator isn't made by SQUAD, but it is made by Felipe Falanghe - the original creator of KSP - who left SQUAD several years ago.

4 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

what are "procedural wings"?

Basically wings which you can edit the size and shape of. There are a few mods for KSP which add them, often alongside other procedural parts. Procedural parts in general are quite divisive in the KSP community as there are some who think being able to mould parts to your liking is better than the current system, and others who prefer the current LEGO-style system of craft building.

5 minutes ago, SOXBLOX said:

Say, do you mind not posting in all-caps and huge bold fonts? My eyeballs hurt.

And I agree that new solar panels will be fantastic.

soxblox i put 20 on the size (Which is NOT large) and i put bold so that people can see it better. i even had one person compliment me for putting bold. am very sorry that your "eye balls" hurt. better see a Kerbologist to get those kerbal eyes checked up @SOXBLOX There are unfortunately some people on the forums who cant see very well so i give them an opportunity to see info through bold and i only put caps on a few words

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE
I needed to put more info.

3 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

soxblox i put 20 on the size (Which is NOT large) and i put bold so that people can see it better. i even had one person compliment me for putting bold. am very sorry that your "eye balls" hurt. better see a Kerbologist to get those kerbal eyes checked up @SOXBLOX There are unfortunately some people on the forums who cant see very well so i give them an opportunity to see info through bold and i only put caps on a few words

I've never seen anyone on here complain about the default font size. Unless you have serious visual impediments (in which case you probably have glasses or contact lenses anyway), the normal, un-bolded font is perfectly legible. I think large bold font is way overkill and only serves to take up an unnecessary amount of screen space, so maybe you should tone it down a little :)

41 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

There are unfortunately some people on the forums who cant see very well so i give them an opportunity to see info through bold and i only put caps on a few words

I'm pretty sure that people who can't see well are capable of zooming their browsers themselves, or using other accessibility features. Thanks for using the default font for your usual postings, it is easier on the eyes for the rest of us. 

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

I'm pretty sure that people who can't see well are capable of zooming their browsers themselves, or using other accessibility features. Thanks for using the default font for your usual postings, it is easier on the eyes for the rest of us. 

Plus using a bigger font is actually bad for those people who are already using existing accessibility features to read the forum because then the text  in those particular posts is absolutely massive. 

Love the look of the lighting and atmospherics. I also love that there are two colors we can swap. Does that mean we'll be able to do any 2 color combos? I guessed seeing some of the earlier shots that the second color could indicate rank or profession, but maybe not? I also love seeing development giving kerbals more emotion and individuality from Dev Insights #6 but Im wondering if suited kerbals will have different hair and glasses and things to give them a bit more unique personality? That may be tough with potentially hundreds of kerbals in some bases, but it be nice to see for role play/storytelling purposes.

As far as the fuel discussion goes I'd be happy with 8-10 different fuel types  and potentially an LS resource or two if compost or fertilizer is a thing. I also love all the discussion of real life chemistry, but what I'd really like to see is the ability to convert fuels and/or byproducts into LS or electricity and back creating interesting resource flows and gameplay synergies and flexibility. Something like in the Martian when Mark Watney  swaps fuel and resources back and forth depending on the need. It could (and should) be abstracted of course, but could make for some really interesting strategies, with different colonies producing different components and cleverly recombining and redistributing them. 

I've also heard Nate mention that he wishes solar sails could be in scope and probably can't, but one way to give some of that experience would be big low mass fold out solar arrays combined with Ion thrusters. I spent a stint making decent size crewed solar-xenon vehicles and learning to path flights so the burns all happened in the sunlight was really fun. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

I ask myself all the time with such big sturctures if it would change the way we build them. Are these big parts that are already there and do not need placemend in the vab, or are we are free to build them as we like from a set of tiny parts. Then we would have a partcount problem somwhere even with multicore an modern prozessors i think.

For me sandbox ksp is something like building a rocket from lego bricks, if you take that away by introducing  big parts like modules that have the whole functionality you remove one factor of the game in particular i would think that is some funfactor in ksp. For me that is a hughe thing in ksp. If thats away KSP2 will be a whole other game for me than the original.

So whats your oppinion on that one?

39 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I ask myself all the time with such big sturctures if it would change the way we build them. Are these big parts that are already there and do not need placemend in the vab, or are we are free to build them as we like from a set of tiny parts. Then we would have a partcount problem somwhere even with multicore an modern prozessors i think.

For me sandbox ksp is something like building a rocket from lego bricks, if you take that away by introducing  big parts like modules that have the whole functionality you remove one factor of the game in particular i would think that is some funfactor in ksp. For me that is a hughe thing in ksp. If thats away KSP2 will be a whole other game for me than the original.

So whats your oppinion on that one?

In KSP 1 every part is only generated in the VAB and launched from the KSP, that won't be the case with KSP2.

Bases, colonies and stations will be build in place with mined resources and not only launched from Kerbin in monolithic blocks and they'll be able of launching crafts build directly there.

The big ships are build directly in orbit, from bigger parts, and they present different challenges compared to smaller crafts like power generation and heat management.

We still don't know what sandbox is going to be, in KSP 1 was easy since everything is made at the KSC, but with colonies, orbital shipyards and all the infrastructure required to build, maintain and refuel huge ships and exotic engines what will sandbox mean? 

A different game? Completely, but building huge ring stations or spaceships out of plane fuselages should never have been the only way to build them in KSP1 and I would argue that if that dies with KSP2 is not going to be because of the bigger station parts, just look at replica planes, we have plenty of plane parts and yet there's people entirely dedicated to using fairings and structural panels to build 1:1 replicas of IRL jets.

27 minutes ago, Master39 said:

We still don't know what sandbox is going to be, in KSP 1 was easy since everything is made at the KSC, but with colonies, orbital shipyards and all the infrastructure required to build, maintain and refuel huge ships and exotic engines what will sandbox mean? 

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that KSP2 sandbox simply means the having the full tech tree unlocked from the start, and no resource cost for making things. So if you want an orbital shipyard you'll still have to build it yourself. 

On top of that, they said there will be the "spun-off sandboxes," i.e. simulations within the simulation, to help design and prototype stuff. This will likely have features that support the main "Adventure" mode, e.g. something similar to the set orbit and set position cheats in the F12 menu now, but with undiscovered stuff not present in the simulation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that KSP2 sandbox simply means the having the full tech tree unlocked from the start, and no resource cost for making things. So if you want an orbital shipyard you'll still have to build it yourself. 

KSP sandbox is generic and universal, it spaces from being the "Minecraft creative mode" all the way down to being just another legit game mode if you don't like stock progression or have explored moon with a biome hopper and thus finished the tech tree.

Given the crapton of infrastructure we'll have to build in KSP2 and the fact that colonies have progression of their own sandbox cannot be as "simple" as in the first game, they have to decide if it is going to be a full on cheat/debug mode or a slightly different progression mode with the tech already unlocked.

On top of that, they said there will be the "spun-off sandboxes," i.e. simulations within the simulation, to help design and prototype stuff. This will likely have features that support the main "Adventure" mode, e.g. something similar to the set orbit and set position cheats in the F12 menu now, but with undiscovered stuff not present in the simulation.

Oh yes, I covered that in my last post on the podcast thread.

• 2 weeks later...

If KSP2's ion engines have the same massively unrealistic thrust as the original, I'd be excited too. In the original KSP it's pretty easy to burn through a whole lot of xenon if you're insan- errr, inventive enough.

If Nate or any dev is still here, I have one question. Are we going to get custom painted parts(If you are allowed to disclose such lucrative information). 

Maybe I want a rainbow ship, or a red one, maybe a blue AND red on.

Take your time with KSP2.