How To Stop Cats From Leaving You Dead Corpses...

Spacescifi

This seems to be a rather hardwired trait cats have that they do either to the amusement or annoyance of their owners.

I read one place on the internet where an owner admitted he had too much to drink one night, and began walking on all fours and jumping around near the corpses of prey the cat left, even swatting them around with his hand.

The whole time the cat watched. He said the cat must have been satisfied, since he never left any corpses for him again, but now he leaves them for his girlfiend instead LOL.

So this is just a theory, since I don't know what ticks in a cat's brain, but I reason that they do not think as we do, and thinking they do is a fallacy despite their human-like expressions and emotions.

My guess? Cats really do not care if we 'appreciate' their 'gift'. The cat is attempting to teach you to hunt or stalk prey like a cat.

Once the owner's cat in question saw him seemingly 'get it', perhaps the cat was like, "My work is done here."

Just a guess.

Have you managed to stop your cat from giving you 'gifts' in other ways?

And I cannot be held liable for any weird thing the cat does if you actually do what the owner did LOL.

Because every cat is unique afterall.

What do you think on this?

Edited by Spacescifi

other than the ocasional dead house fly and sometimes a dragon fly, my cats are ineffectual hunters. it probably has something to do with the fact that all the birds around these parts are huge. one of my cats was having a conversation with a raven the other day. the small one. both animals were about the same size. so it makes sense that they would negotiate terms. kitty would meow, raven would caw. that exchange went on for a good 10 minutes. im not sure what kind of arrangement they came to, probably planning on reaping the local human souls or something and how to split the spoils. 

Edited by Nuke

The cat has revised his trading practices and redirected the flow of events to more appropriate agent.

My guess is: cats know that humans enjoy dead mice and give some food instead of this junk. Why? Cats have no idea, but they know that humans are generally retarded, so why not.

10 hours ago, TheSaint said:

I'm perfectly fine with my cat bringing in dead vermin and leaving them in various locations around the house. When she brings them in still alive, plays with them for a while, and then lets them go. That's when I get upset. :mad:

one of my cats brought in a bird once. he didn't bother killing it or even breaking anything. so we just let it go. we didnt need any more pets. this cat supposedly shared a pet carrier with a hamster when we moved here, and the hamster lived to eventually die of old age. 

Edited by Nuke

20 minutes ago, Nuke said:

one of my cats brought in a bird once. he didn't bother killing it or even breaking anything. so we just let it go. we didnt need any more pets. this cat supposedly shared a pet carrier with a hamster when we moved here, and the hamster lived to eventually die of old age. 

I guess sometimes cats just want a playmate?

It's the feral ones that are total killers... out of necessity no doubt.

But even then... animal relationships go beyond predator/prey.

I literally saw two cats fighting on youtube and crows watching helping one cat out by attacking the other one LOL.

when i was a kid we had a cat that just killed everything it saw. mom didnt believe in getting the cats fixed back then and we would always have litters of kittens. its amazing watching a super predator raise cute little floofy kittens and take really good care of them. its easy to tell that cats have feels. 

1 hour ago, Nuke said:

I think I shared the story on here once. My wife and kids were visiting her folks in California, I was home alone. Playing KSP until about 11:30 at night, just getting ready to go to bed. The cat brings in a live bird and lets it go in the house. I'm chasing the bird around trying to catch it, it flies around the living room for a while and then flies underneath our 500-lb solid wood entertainment center. I was livid, I'm totally cranking at the cat. She skulks out of the dog door. I spend the next fifteen minutes trying to get the bird out from underneath the furniture. The cat comes back in fifteen minutes later, plops a dead bird down in the middle of the living room floor and skulks off to the laundry room where her food bowls are. (I LOLed. "I am terribly sorry, Alpha Male, that my gift of a live bird did not please you. Here is a dead one.") I finally manage to flush the bird out from underneath the entertainment center, it flies around the house for a bit with me chasing it, and it flies...into the laundry room. I slam the door shut, and it's me, the bird, and the cat shut in a 4' by 8' room. With me trying to catch the bird, the bird trying to get away, and the cat...I don't have any idea what the cat was doing besides freaking out, I was just trying to catch the damn bird. Finally managed to catch it in a big tupperware, took it outside and let it go. Dumb cat.

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

I think I shared the story on here once. My wife and kids were visiting her folks in California, I was home alone. Playing KSP until about 11:30 at night, just getting ready to go to bed. The cat brings in a live bird and lets it go in the house. I'm chasing the bird around trying to catch it, it flies around the living room for a while and then flies underneath our 500-lb solid wood entertainment center. I was livid, I'm totally cranking at the cat. She skulks out of the dog door. I spend the next fifteen minutes trying to get the bird out from underneath the furniture. The cat comes back in fifteen minutes later, plops a dead bird down in the middle of the living room floor and skulks off to the laundry room where her food bowls are. (I LOLed. "I am terribly sorry, Alpha Male, that my gift of a live bird did not please you. Here is a dead one.") I finally manage to flush the bird out from underneath the entertainment center, it flies around the house for a bit with me chasing it, and it flies...into the laundry room. I slam the door shut, and it's me, the bird, and the cat shut in a 4' by 8' room. With me trying to catch the bird, the bird trying to get away, and the cat...I don't have any idea what the cat was doing besides freaking out, I was just trying to catch the damn bird. Finally managed to catch it in a big tupperware, took it outside and let it go. Dumb cat.

i do not believe the cat would call you the alpha in that situation. not an offence or anything its just cats have huge egos. i doubt it was freaking out. i figure its a lot like what happens when grown men go to a sporting event. they take off their shirts, paint their faces and wear stupid hats all while behaving maniacally while watching what amounts to people moving a ball around. thats what the cat was doing. go birds!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.