I hate Dres!

king of nowhere

Dres. What's it good for?

It's basically Mun; similar size, similar look. But it is much harder to reach. It's too small and too difficult to reach to use effectively for gravity assists.

And it has nothing remarkable. Really, why would one want to visit Dres, except to say "i've been there"? it has no personality. even Pol has something special about it, and it's a serious competitor for the title of "most useless rock around kerbol" otherwise.

the only remarkable thing about dres is its canyon. So i went and tried to drive my rover through it. I did drive my rover through Mun's canyons, and it was a marvelous experience. I could get speed, then i would find a crater rim and make a really cool jump. the canyon oriented north-south was especially good as a racing circuit. maybe the dres canyon would be a cool drive? maybe the planet would have this one redeeming quality?

Never. the surface is too irregular, the gravity is lower. whenever i try to get to speed, i lose control. worse, the surface is so rugged, it's a real danger. my rover is armored so that it won't take damage from crashing. indeed, i did drive it for hundreds of kilometers around mun, and i never broke anything at any speed below 35 m/s. I often survived unschated up to 40 m/s. But on Dres, I managed to break wheels already at half that speed. And the canyon? the bottom of the canyon is all angles, without any soft path. it's impossible to race through it.

i decided to go and vent a bit of my dres hating around

I like to deposit random asteroids in orbit around Dres, also if you are good at planning you can get a tiny boost of delta V if ur going to Jool. Other than that I'm not really that interested in Dres, it's kinda like Ceres.

I might start a refueling colony there though, and force all the kerbonauts to look at a boring palette of dark gray colors every time they wake up on Dres' surface.

1 hour ago, Vezbot said:

Other than that I'm not really that interested in Dres, it's kinda like Ceres.

i would love dres if it was like ceres. ceres is geologically active, it has the bright spots that are basically a kind of cryovolcanism, and it may even have a liquid ocean inside.

dres has none of it

17 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

Place there a correction labor camp for the Kerbals who has failed their missions.

that... is a surprisingly good idea. it will make sure dres will be properly feared and hated

6 hours ago, Kernel Kraken said:

Well, how do you think Dres feels about you? 

i guess dres hates me, because i visited it twice. dres wants to be left alone, that's why he put itself in a position so difficult to reach, to discourage visitors!

don't worry dres, i may want to reach you one more time eventually to make a full grand tour, but then i will have no more reason to bother you again.

On 10/17/2020 at 8:37 PM, king of nowhere said:

Dres. What's it good for?

I know this topic is somewhat in jest...  But the early Kerbonaut fairly soon realizes that the Kerbolar system is a cleverly-graded set of puzzles in Orbital Mechanics.  Dres is a challenge and a badge.

In my case, the purpose of Dres is to give me something to look forward to: "haven't been there, haven't done that".  Not yet.  Nor Eeloo.

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

i guess dres hates me, because i visited it twice. dres wants to be left alone, that's why he put itself in a position so difficult to reach, to discourage visitors!

I bet Dres wants to get rid of you because you're so mean to it ;.;

Dres is weird: It show`s up in mapview, has lots of `roids loitering around it and seems to occupie a drastic inclination around Kerbol.
Why would i visit this place? I still don`t know. Been there once in about 4500 hours of playtime...

Dres is a psychological unconvenience...: It is there. But also not that much. @SQUAD please give Dres a feature worthwhile visiting... Easteregg, probably? :) Or recolor it more friendly? 

I think the inclination is the main showstopper here...

7 minutes ago, Mikki said:

Dres is weird: It show`s up in mapview, has lots of `roids loitering around it and seems to occupie a drastic inclination around Kerbol.
Why would i visit this place? I still don`t know. Been there once in about 4500 hours of playtime...

Dres is a psychological unconvenience...: It is there. But also not that much. @SQUAD please give Dres a feature worthwhile visiting... Easteregg, probably? :) Or recolor it more friendly? 

I think the inclination is the main showstopper here...

That said all the same things about Mt Everest (particularly the bit about the "inclination").  It got climbed anyway.  "Because it was there".  Now there are foot-traffic jams up there on that hill...

Or it could be comparable to Mt Fuji.  The Japanese say, "if you don't climb it once, you are crazy.  If you climb it more than once, you are crazy."

:)

Edited by Hotel26

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 7:27 AM, Rocket Witch said:

With its ring of asteroids, low gravity, and healthy distance from the local star, Dres is something I see developing into a major centre of orbital industry and gateway to the stars, in an advanced colonisation era.

Healthy distance from star is actually not a good thing to have.  Being close is often preferable for a space faring society: any such society should have fixed the "propulsion" system down to energy. And close to a start means much more readily available energy. (Until we start going dyson sphere)..

But more importantly: close to a star means many more times a transfer window. Where a far planet would take several years, and another far planet would also take those, to get the correct alignment would easily take 10+ years at distance dres-jool.

Yet with something close like moho it happens multiple times a year.

It's a fine place... these guys liked it.

CAhHK60.png

ZHWMAzk.png

Even if the landing was on the ropey side.

1IGAnRX.png

In all seriousness, Dres is probably the place I've been to 2nd least, with Moho being topping that list (just 2 or 3 visits). It is rather Mun like in most respects other than it's orbit, but that would be it's point really. Not everywhere needs to be simple to get to, or have some unique feature.

I don't hate Dres, don't love it either... it's just there.

1 hour ago, purpleivan said:

It's a fine place... these guys liked it.

CAhHK60.png

ZHWMAzk.png

Even if the landing was on the ropey side.

1IGAnRX.png

In all seriousness, Dres is probably the place I've been to 2nd least, with Moho being topping that list (just 2 or 3 visits). It is rather Mun like in most respects other than it's orbit, but that would be it's point really. Not everywhere needs to be simple to get to, or have some unique feature.

I don't hate Dres, don't love it either... it's just there.

I agree with you, I write like this because I can't like anything more because of the limit

On 11/9/2020 at 3:44 AM, Hupf said:

Ah Dres, the King of Asteroids.

I've found the king of the 'roids

On 10/21/2020 at 8:45 AM, Hotel26 said:

"if you don't climb it once, you are crazy.  If you climb it more than once, you are crazy."

No, your only crazy if you base jump off.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.