VR?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. VR?

• Yes and I already have a VR setup
    • Please and I will even buy a VR setup
    • Nah, not my kinda thing
    • No thank you, I'm scared I would never have a life again
    • It would be cool, and I may think about getting VR hardware at some point

@Nate Simpson said he wishes they could have it in the interview. From this we can assume it wont be included at launch. That said, it's not only being considered but it is desirable and possibly a goal.

I don't even have VR, but if this game supports it I might have to get it some how...

Edited by mcwaffles2003

Still don't even understand what the actual point of it would be. KSP2 isn't a flight sim where having VR for IVA activity would be a legitimate game changer, KSP2 won't have weather and the terrain system prevents much for jazzed up topside activity.

Everything VR could potentially do would be accomplished by strapping a small, high resolution panel to your face. (I'm specifically talking in the context of KSP 2, not VR as a whole)

If they decide to waste the time and resources on VR, then it should only be after KSP2 has seen several DLC and the number of unresolved bugs could be counted on my fingers.

I'd literally say that things like relativity would be higher on the priority list....

15 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Still don't even understand what the actual point of it would be. KSP2 isn't a flight sim where having VR for IVA activity would be a legitimate game changer, KSP2 won't have weather and the terrain system prevents much for jazzed up topside activity.

Umm..

• 1st person VR EVA while orbiting a beautiful ring planet. 
  • Building a rocket in a 3D space where you can actually walk around your rocket and attach things using your hands instead of spending 5 minutes with a part bouncing between 2 nodes next to the node you actually wanna attach it to.
  • IVA mods

49 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Still don't even understand what the actual point of it would be.

I spend most of my time in KSP in the VAB/Spaceplane Hangar and there is where VR would shine the most and there's actually a playable example of that, if you have a Steam VR headset try out Valve's Moondust demo ship building minigame, it's basically a VR VAB.

Using my hands to build instead of trying to get my head around using a 2D mouse in a 3D space would be a huge time saver.

55 minutes ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Everything VR could potentially do would be accomplished by strapping a small, high resolution panel to your face. (I'm specifically talking in the context of KSP 2, not VR as a whole)

After almost 1000 hours in it I would argue that VR it's only 40% headset (10% 3D vision and 30% sense of size and scale) the remaining 60% is all of the experience is about using your actual hands to do things naturally.

18 minutes ago, Master39 said:

I spend most of my time in KSP in the VAB/Spaceplane Hangar and there is where VR would shine the most and there's actually a playable example of that, if you have a Steam VR headset try out Valve's Moondust demo ship building minigame, it's basically a VR VAB.

@Incarnation of Chaos see:

Spoiler

Edited by mcwaffles2003

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Would be cool as a DLC in the future. But with the high cost of hardware for virtual or mixed reality, and low numbers of users, I don't see it being a profitable choice for DLC.

As a VR user I recommend you watch this video about misconceptions about VR because you don't need to spend thousands for a good setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5I23tatL0

54 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

As a VR user I recommend you watch this video about misconceptions about VR because you don't need to spend thousands for a good setup. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tn5I23tatL0

Yes you can get Oculus for a reasonable price, but the requirement to activate the hardware with a Facebook account is BS. So that's a hard no.

The Index starts more than what I'm willing to spend on any single component for a PC.

The Vive is a small down payment for a car. 

It's not the graphics card I'm worried about, it's the actual VR equipment that's too expensive.

Edited by shdwlrd

14 hours ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

@Incarnation of Chaos see:

Reveal hidden contents

I loathe using a touch screen for doing basic tasks that are infinitely simpler with a K/M, and the idea of having yet another obstacle between me and building a rocket just makes me gag.

Make it optional, and add it after all other major things have been done and i have no issues. I think our perspectives on this are skewed too far either way.

4 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I loathe using a touch screen for doing basic tasks that are infinitely simpler with a K/M, and the idea of having yet another obstacle between me and building a rocket just makes me gag.

Idk if that's another obstacle but instead a different one. Also, Idk your situation but there have been a fair amount of times (in the SPH typically) where the lack of control for depth gets frustrating. I will be dragging a part up and to the left on my screen and in the game the parts moving straight back or something, especially when I move a whole craft. If anything keyboard and mouse is closer to using a touch screen than a VR setup since both require interacting with a 3d model using a 2d tool.

plus... this kind of control just looks to good to pass up:

Spoiler

4 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Make it optional, and add it after all other major things have been done and i have no issues. I think our perspectives on this are skewed too far either way.

If VR support is in the game I don't think it couldn't be optional :P making it a VR only game is a terrible idea.

Edited by mcwaffles2003

I've been intrigued about VR for a while now, even built my last rig with that in mind, but never got around to buying the headset and related stuff, mostly because a compelling-enough game hasn't come up. VR KSP2 just might do it for me. I'd love to be able to build and fly things in VR.

7 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

Yes you can get Oculus for a reasonable price, but the requirement to activate the hardware with a Facebook account is BS. So that's a hard no.

Seriously, this... and it's a real bummer

It's weird enough FB wants to have access to everyones personal data on a moment to moment basis.... now they the want you logged in with cameras in your house like an amazon echo.

Having a webcam and a smartphone with a camera and a mic weird me out enough.

Spoiler

It's just... weird man.

6 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

I loathe using a touch screen for doing basic tasks that are infinitely simpler with a K/M

The difference here is not like between Mouse and Touchscreen, it's more like KSP vs IRL Lego.

6 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Make it optional

Obviously, KSP is not a VR game, it's a game that could use some VR support for parts of it, especially IVA and Building.

9 hours ago, shdwlrd said:

The Index starts more than what I'm willing to spend on any single component for a PC.

The Vive is a small down payment for a car. 

Oculus is now dead, they abandoned the PCVR line to favour the Quest with a link cable that, if you have half a decent gaming pc it's useless and obviously there's the whole "you have to link your IRL identity to use a gaming peripheral" that's also a big no-no for me.

HTC is continuing to try new and innovative ways of killing their VR marker share and are moving towards the business market.

Basically if you want a non-discontinued consumer VR headset your good options now are the 1079€ Valve Index or the 599€ HP Reverb G2.

For the PC hardware I would say that any recently upgraded gaming PC would do, I'm running my Index on a 1070 with a 6600k and everything it's mostly fine (even if far from 200% SS at 144 Hz with ultra settings but no existing hardware can push that at the moment)

2 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

fly things in VR.

I anyone wants to try the best VR sim i suggest Bahamuto's VTOL VR, it's not realistic, but if you want to actually fly something with your hands instead using the motion controller as a laser pointer and having to blindly switch to a HOTAS it's the only option.

1 hour ago, Kerminator1000 said:

I've been looking to get into VR. 

I don't have a powerful PC and am looking more at the standalone headsets. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Sadly there's no such thing as an easy recommendation.

You either save up for PCVR or you play glorified mobile games linking your Quest 2 to your IRL identity via Facebook, accepting that if you're banned for whatever reason you'll loose your whole library and your access to VR.

There's no alternative since Facebook is actively trying to kill every competitor.

Edited by Master39

1 minute ago, Master39 said:

You either save up for PCVR or you play glorified mobile games linking your Quest 2 (Facebook is actively trying to kill every competitor) to your IRL identity via Facebook, accepting that if you're banned for whatever reason you'll loose your whole library and your access to VR.

Hmmm. Maybe I'll take the risk with Oculus. I have a FB account but have never and will never use it. Hopefully FB won't ban me or by the time I've saved enough for a headset FB will have stopped their greediness (Yeah right).

1 minute ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Hopefully

Hopefully.

Beware of Facebook, they just killed the Rift S out of nowhere to promote their Quest (which, even with link, it's a bad PCVR headset), when they'll get there with AR glasses they'll kill their VR product lines.

2 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

Oculus

Oculus was a company, one that now is officially dead.

As for headset named "Oculus" you have:

Oculus Rift: the original and various developer variants, all discontinued.

Oculus Go: a 3Dof headset like the Cardboard, discontinued.

Oculus Quest: the first iteration of the standalone VR headset, discontinued.

Oculus Rift S: the successor of the Rift line, outsourced to Lenovo because Facebook was already abandoning the PCVR scene but spotted the possibility for a quick cashgrab, discontinued.

Oculus Quest 2: the only HMD they sell now, designed around being standalone and as cheap as possible (terrible confort, materials and audio) and coincidentally compatible with PCVR via USB-c (no dedicated hardware, just plain USB, with all the latency and compression it requires to work).

10 minutes ago, Brikoleur said:

needs a pretty powerful PC though

That's relative, any mid-range gaming PC post-2017 is VR capable, and any 2021 gaming PC, even the low-range ones will be more than enough.

10 minutes ago, Master39 said:

That's relative, any mid-range gaming PC post-2017 is VR capable, and any 2021 gaming PC, even the low-range ones will be more than enough.

How about a low range laptop?

Quad core i7

512 g SSD

8g RAM (But I am going to increase this)

NVIDIA GeForce MX250 GPU (I think 2gigs VRAM)

Edited by Kerminator1000

3 minutes ago, Kerminator1000 said:

How about a low range laptop?

Quad core i7

512 g SSD

8g RAM (But I am going to increase this)

NVIDIA GeForce MX250 GPU (I think 2gigs VRAM)

Even if you have the right ports I don't think your GPU would do it.

I would say that anything "gaming" starts with a XX60 GPU (1060 6GB upwards), anything below and it's just a office/work PC that can incidentally run some games.

5 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Even if you have the right ports I don't think your GPU would do it.

I would say that anything "gaming" starts with a XX60 GPU (1060 6GB upwards), anything below and it's just a office/work PC that can incidentally run some games.

That's why I am trying to look for standalone VR headsets. I am trying to build a gaming PC but just don't have the cash needed for it. Maybe in a few months when I can spare some of my monthly budget.:(