Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

The new layout looks okay on my phone (Android), but poor on a large screen (Windows, 27" display, tested with Firefox and Chrome).

Gray text on a 100% (or nearly 100%) white background is too bright and low contrast, especially when so many of us jump between KSP's dark screens and this forum. Please give us an option for a much darker background, with default text color adjusted accordingly.

Would be nice if we had options for the UI.  Most other forums I’m on do.

49 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

These things are usually not a big deal. No one even noticed the last couple of updates they ran. This one is having difficulties.

The ideal is to have no impact to the user.  The professional way is to do a planned upgrade.

This is what I do in my day job.

I am clearly out of touch with modern website design.

The new Facebook UI is butt-ugly and now, so too is the KSP forum.

It looks like they took an expanse of white space and then sneezed UI elements over it. Are they actively trying to reduce the time people spend here?

Bleh.

Edited by KSK

EDIT: This was merged from my own thread, so just to clarify: The original thread title was "New Stats Panel on Right".

Thoughts?

I have to say, I would like a way to turn this off. It takes up screen real-estate, and none of these stats are useful to me.  The top poster is not necessarily the most thoughtful poster.   And if I click on the popular posts link, it does not take me to the full post, but to the profile page of the poster.

It seems like statistics for statistics sake. 

Sorry about this. I realize a lot of work has gone into this, and it is very easy to immediately critique something. But this just makes the website look a lot less clean for no benefit.  It does not need to go, but an ability to set a preference to hide the window would be great.

Edited by Klapaucius

@Klapaucius, I do not see the statistics panel on any threads except the ones where I am the OP.  I do not see that panel on other threads. Nor do I see it on this one. I'm not sure why anyone would need to see those kinds of statistics unless they are just creating threads for the sake of getting "likes" and want to know what kind of threads are the most efficient at causing them.

It also seems that the forum is a lot brighter - to the extent of being an eyesore. It seems washed out and faded. I'm also not a fan of the round avatars we now have.

Just now, ManeTI said:

Hey! They are gone.

Yay, I stand corrected! Thanks, @ManeTI!

6 hours ago, computercat04 said:

I think there should be also a dark mode.

6 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Missed opportunity

ksp-meme-2.png?w=454

Since I installed the "Stylish" extension today for other reasons, I made an attempt at a KSP forum dark theme config (also makes the user profile icons into rounded boxes instead of circles). It's not completely perfect yet, but I think it's good enough for me to keep using for a while:

A7nHuPo.png

Edited by HebaruSan

1 hour ago, Entropian said:

Ok, I found a solution to the anonymous problem.  There's a tab in account settings that switches it now.

There's an option at the bottom of the page to change the theme to something slightly less bright.  Go to "Theme" and change it to "Default."

EDIT: The KSP logo is still obscured.

Where is the theme thing? I cant find it and the new look of the forum is hurting my eyes its soo bright and frankly off-putting.

I would really appreciate knowing who exactly thought it was a good idea to make everything on a page blend together to the point of making it near impossible to discern where a field or UI element ends and the next one starts. Basically, the exact same atrocious error made the last couple of updates, but then another degree worse.

I'll do the same I did last few times: I'll give it a week or two before I revisit, and hopefully by then someone has come up with a half-decent complete style replacement so it becomes somewhat functional again. Otherwise, I guess I'm done with this forum.

You know you're doing a good job reworking your website when the first thing half the visitors do is go look for ways to revert/undo/work around the new appearance. Whoopdee doo.

8 minutes ago, tater said:

The text is too small/light to read comfortably.

I have no tab in settings for adjusting it at all.

Everything does feel uncomfortable font size wise

Just now, HebaruSan said:

Since I installed the "Stylish" extension today for other reasons, I made an attempt at a KSP forum dark theme config (also makes the user profile icons into rounded boxes instead of circles). It's not completely perfect yet, but I think it's good enough for me to keep using for a while:

Ughhhh- another thing wrong with this. Links look like underlines. Is it a link? An underline?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.