Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

Test. (default)

Test. (lucinda)

Test. (tahoma)

Test. (trebuchet)

Test. (verdana)

Test. (default bold)

Four samples using other fonts the forum seems to allow. All four are better than the awful default font. The thin strokes, and harsh white make this pretty unpleasant.

The amount of whitespace relative to useful area is a tad excessive. For perspective, I browse old.reddit.com on my phone and it's fine. That was a link. This is an underline.  <-- Basic usability anyone?

I think this is what I have on my home machine: https://userstyles.org/styles/147582/kat-s-kerbal-space-program-ksp-forum-tweak

The rest are here: https://userstyles.org/styles/browse?search_terms=kerbal&type=false

2 minutes ago, FleshJeb said:

The amount of whitespace relative to useful area is a tad excessive.

This was one of the things I liked least about Window's 10.  The fad for whitespace is actually really hard on the eyes.

I'm wondering if they have switched over to a packaged type of website. The layout is very similar to Bibliocommons, which is a nearly ubiquitous template for public libary websites.  In fact, this new look reminds me a lot of my home library:

https://my.christchurchcitylibraries.com

vtX3qAN.jpg

Christ this is bad, not even because I'm used to the old layout or anything, just objectively bad... It hurts to look at. Ideally Invision would allow the user to choose the layout but that's probably too much to ask

EDIT: spent some time with it, what a dumpster fire of an UI. This design is objectively bad

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

It's different!  (at least on my phone). 

I'm scared 

Ok... Not scared - but now I have to adjust to a new normal.  Any idea why the change? 

They changed the forum. This IS a link and NOT an underline. It goes to the forum thread about this. its horrific to say the least.

6 minutes ago, cubinator said:

As a cube I dislike the circular pictures.

Well, that is your angle on it, and I am sure you think you are right. However, that may not square with everyone's views.  Pardon me if I am being obtuse, but it truly is a question of degree. 

You may think me pi-eyed, but for me, the circle strikes a chord.

Sorry for the tangent.

9 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

@Aperture Science ive been on mobile here posting since this garish update and had to dial my phone back from 45% or so bright to 25%.  This update is painful all around.

Snip

Edited by Guest

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

What's worse is that the community has been asking for a dark mode option ever since the forums switched to IPB, but no... whoever was in charge thought it was better to dedicate their time working on this atrocity instead, as if to say "no, you're wrong, I know better than you do and will do this instead" to all the forums' users. Terrible choice, could've gone with making the option people *actually* asked for and gotten praised for it instead of doubling down on this garbage and give us the hassle of using it

Hey! this is the default theme of the Invision Community software that runs the forums, it comes with the patches to fix bugs they provide to their users, nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the design changes.

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Since I installed the "Stylish" extension today for other reasons, I made an attempt at a KSP forum dark theme config (also makes the user profile icons into rounded boxes instead of circles). It's not completely perfect yet, but I think it's good enough for me to keep using for a while:

A7nHuPo.png

I've decided to throw my hat into the ring of publicly shared user styles. Use this instead of the spoilered code block, it already has a lot of small fixes since that point:

Another thread regarding the new UI has been merged into this one.

I'm also not liking some of the changes.  The invisible login being a setting now is nice, but these round profile images don't sit well with me.  I don't mind the brightness, I actually have trouble seeing on dark mode themes.

The URL link coloring seems to be back to normal.  :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.