Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

1 minute ago, razark said:

Why?

Is there some "advantage"?

Or are we just making changes for the sake of making changes, and calling it "progress"?

Just a software update:

3 hours ago, ManeTI said:

Hey! this is the default theme of the Invision Community software that runs the forums, nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes Invision decided to do for the latest patch.

I see that the forum has gone some changes since the first one. Thanks for listening to us, I think the font size, square profile pics, and the right proportions of signatures are making this change more comfortable :) 

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

Just a software update

Which completely and utterly did not answer the question...

1 hour ago, HebaruSan said:

nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes

So, what I'm being told is that Squad and PD do not have control of what they claim is their own website

How is that in any way not a godsdamn disturbing revelation?  What else do they not control?  What else might change without their permission?  Is our personal data safe?  I used my debit card to purchase KSP.  What reason do I have to expect that my data has not been handed off to a third party?  My email address is now up for grabs because anyone who built the payment system can make whatever changes they want at any time, and I am expected to just accept it?

Do y'all not realize how unreassuring your response is?

Edit:
I'm sorry, I was reading you response as from an official source.  I am not trying to attack a fellow forum member.

Edited by razark
Misunderstood the source of the response.

Very worser than it was.

Now I have to additionally use Opera just for this forum, as in my zilla Firefox it looks ugly and nothing works and looks properly.

Though, in Opera it still looks ugly, but at least the JS works.

No thanks at all.

2 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Very worser than it was.

Now I have to additionally use Opera just for this forum, as in my zilla Firefox it looks ugly and nothing works and looks properly.

No thanks at all.

P.S.
Additional nothanks for in Firefox I have AdBlock locking most of visual rubbish and huge pictures, while in Opera I have them loaded.

4 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Very worser than it was.

No thanks at all.

And why is it adding the updated post instead of replacing it?

13 minutes ago, razark said:

Which completely and utterly did not answer the question...

Of course it did. The reason for the changes is that a new version of the forum software was released and SQUAD's IT staff installed it.

13 minutes ago, razark said:

So, what I'm being told is that Squad and PD do not have control of what they claim is their own website

How is that in any way not a godsdamn disturbing revelation?  What else do they not control?  What else might change without their permission?  Is our personal data safe?  I used my debit card to purchase KSP.  What reason do I have to expect that my data has not been handed off to a third party?  My email address is now up for grabs because anyone who built the payment system can make whatever changes they want at any time, and I am expected to just accept it?

Do y'all not realize how unreassuring your response is?

Calm down, they installed an update. It's still their own server.

17 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

Excuse me.  My earlier response to you was misplaced.  I should not have responded to a fellow member in such a way, as I thought I was responding to someone with an official capacity.

However, my ire and response still stand as directed to Squad/PD.  The second part of my quoting was misattributed to you, and not the original source, who is an official representative.  My response to that portion should have properly been targeted at @ManeTI.

Of course it did. The reason for the changes is that a new version of the forum software was released and SQUAD's IT staff installed it.

That explains what happened, but it doesn't explain why they decided to do it.

It's still their own server.

Is it?  The official response was "nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes", which either means that the changes were made without Squad/PD's approval, or that they have abrogated their responsibility for what happens to this forum/website.  Either way, they show a lack of control over the site.

Edited by razark

First impressions:

Things I like:  layout is good and more mobile friendly. The old layout is mostly intact.

Things I dislike: colors are awful and harsh. It feels a little slower. I'm fairly indifferent to the more rounded off theme, although I preferred the old style. It reminds me of Windows XP with it's "fisher price" look. On mobile the edit button is in a drop-down, not next to quote, which is annoying. On mobile long quotes are cut off with a "show more" thing.

Mostly I just don't understand though, they changed so little it just feels unnecessary. Was there a software change? Because if not I would like a revert.

Edited by catloaf

2 minutes ago, razark said:

Is it?  The official response was "nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes", which either means that the changes were made without Squad/PD's approval

SQUAD's IT staff didn't design the changes to the stylesheet. They just installed them.

It looks like the update was sponsored by AA-batteries manufacturer.
Now I have to keep scrolling to read even two posts.

And by the glasses manufacturers, too. First of sunglasses to see the text, then of correction glasses.

P.S.
I must download the mods while this works at all.

4 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

They just installed them.

And that's the question - why? 

14 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

SQUAD's IT staff didn't design the changes to the stylesheet. They just installed them.

If Squad/PD installed the changes, then Squad/PD are involved by virtue of choosing to install the changes.

If Squad/PD weren't involved in the changes being implemented on the server, then Squad/PD do not have control of the server.

This isn't some false dilemma.  Either Squad/PD were involved and had control, or Squad/PD weren't involved and had no control.

Edited by razark
Clarity

I'll be honest, since the background is now not entirely white, it actually looks ok... at least in daylight. Expecting it to look kinda bad with blue light filter (but then everything would be).

In any case, there's still DarkReader...

4 minutes ago, YNM said:

I'll be honest, since the background is now not entirely white, it actually looks ok... at least in daylight. Expecting it to look kinda bad with blue light filter (but then everything would be).

In any case, there's still DarkReader...

Really, for me it looks a lot better with the blue filter. When I turned it off the background went from light blue to darker blue, and the posts turned from white to blue.

Still awful though, if it can be changed back I would like that.

Edited by catloaf

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.