Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

14 minutes ago, razark said:

If they installed them, then they are involved by virtue of choosing to install them.

If they weren't involved in them being implemented on the server, then they do not have control of the server.

This isn't some false dilemma.  Either they were involved and had control, or they weren't involved and had no control.

So you want an IT guy whose job is just to keep the server up to date, to moonlight as an aesthetic consultant and create custom hacks overriding the vendor's stylesheets based on his own judgment. OK.

Edited by HebaruSan

10 minutes ago, HebaruSan said:

So you want an IT guy whose job is just to keep the server up to date, to moonlight as an aesthetic consultant and create custom hacks overriding the vendor's stylesheets based on his own judgment. OK.

No, I want to know why the change was implemented, which was my original question:

The quote from an official representative was "nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes".  Which raised my question of "who the hell is in charge of the server, if a third party can make changes to it without the owner's express involvement?".

Edit:
What prevents the third party from exposing you email and password if they so desire, and does the server owner bear the responsibility if they push out an update that does so?

Edited by razark

22 minutes ago, razark said:

The quote from an official representative was "nobody on Squad or PD was involved in the changes".  Which raised my question of "who the hell is in charge of the server, if a third party can make changes to it without the owner's express involvement?".

Read my previous replies, I guess. This is not complicated.

@ManeTI I think however given the rather serious question posed by @razark below needs some clarification if only to ease the concern posed 

“What prevents the third party from exposing you email and password if they so desire, and does the server owner bear the responsibility if they push out an update that does so?“

Is there a way to clarify on this that is security protocol safe that can ease the concern?

edit: i apologize if my query is out of line or something but, i do echo his concerns. So, if my query is inappropriate or something feel free to just nuke my query into static.

Edited by AlamoVampire

That was confusing, making a comment in this thread yesterday evening, getting quotes of them, followed by the site going down and this morning my post and the ones quoting it were gone. But at least the bold font used for thread titles on thread list pages has been toned down, which was what I commented on, which is nice to see.

Still some issues though, including some very small font sizes being used. For example on the main Forums list page, there are some bulleted text under the Technical Support (Playstation 4, Xbox One) section that is tiny. The font sizes used for the forum descriptions and any beneath it heirarchically should go up a couple of point sizes.

I'm now using @HebaruSan's Stylish dark theme and it's much easier on the eyes, although it does make some elements a bit harder to see. 

Now that I can look at the new theme on my PC, I can say that I still prefer the old version. This new update makes the forum look a tiny little bit sleeker at the expense of some useful little features.

another Stylus theme is there

How does the forum's web work? I see the forum powered by Invision Community, and on their site there is Marketplace with themes.

https://invisioncommunity.com/files/category/191-dark-themes/ 

Does that mean, that the forum engine itself support themes, and create new dark theme is as simple as buy any dark theme on Marketplace, and copy some files to special folder on server that host the forum? 

On the bottom of the forum there is already unused  language drop-down list, that could be used for language (or probably theme) by the forum engine. 

Edited by flart

@razark, @AlamoVampire and everyone else who may have misunderstood. This forum software is made by Invision, and Invision released an update, which was installed on our forum. The fact that Invision makes the software in no way gives them control over Squad's/PD's servers any more than a KSP update gives Squad control over your computer. It's just software running on a machine, which we see as the forum we are using. 

Just now, Mikki said:

Hi people, 

I have a new status counter under my Profile Picture, it sais: "+2 Member`solved count", can someone explain this to me?

No native english speaker here... 

Nevermind, its gone now... just wondering about the new styles

4 minutes ago, AlamoVampire said:

Nope. I am not fond of it either.

Took me a long time guessing to realize you put a timestamp under your posts.

Why U do this (Imagine Cat Meme) ?

No real opinions one way or the other at the moment on the web UI.  Looks like it's following modern design practice - which has both upsides and downsides.

However, I primarily follow the forum via e-mail: I hit 'follow' on a thread, and read the posts as they come in.  Or at least I did - the update truncates any post down to about two sentences, so actually trying to follow the conversation like that is no longer possible.

(Which honestly means I'm likely not going to be following the forum at all...)

I actually like the redesign, white space is not bad. Overuse of whitespace, it's not just bad, it could destroy a website.

Spoiler

Although, I wish there was a "dark'" or even a "terminal" mode.

Spoiler

Terminal is just green text on a black backround.

42 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I can't seem to find any posts regarding the following matter: Now, on mobile I cannot tap on the time of the last post on the right, below profile picture of the user, to get straight to that last post.

Works just fine for me. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.