Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

Am I right in thinking it has changed just over the course of today? I have come back a few times, and it looks a little more saturated than it did earlier.

What is the default font?

Arial

Lucinda

Tahoma

Trebuchet

Verdana

(all above rendered in the font they name)

Just now, tater said:

What is the default font?

Arial

Lucinda

Tahoma

Trebuchet

Verdana

(all above rendered in the font they name)

Could be Arial or Verdana. Not TNR.

Actually the feature I like the most is when it tells you when a mod unlocks or locks a thread.

Just now, AlamoVampire said:

@tater i could just be dense but on my phone all of the fonts in your list on top of page 7 look identical. Or at least so similar my eyes perceive no difference. Fwiw that is.

They're different (I only picked the sans serif fonts, BTW).

I seem to be 2 for 2 now. 

I suggested that the bold font for headings was too bold and the teeny tiny font size on forum description bullets points was, well... too teeny tiny and both have been fixed. That or I'm imagining things.

Probably I'm just spotting things that lots of people are complaining about (directly or indirectly) and then they're getting fixed.

As no one has yet mentioned this, and it seems to me to be of paramount importance in any forum update, I shall.

Where are the new emojis? Surely we can't be expected to chug along with an antiquated collection when everything else has been improved.

5 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

And the dark mode plugin I tried decided to use blue for the edit box so thats a no go for me. @HebaruSan, please fix:D

Heh, maybe I should have included a caveat that I have no artistic talent. And have been officially diagnosed with color blindness. ;)

The lighter blue was supposed to indicate that the field is special because it's editable. Maybe it should fade back to the dark outer background color instead. I'll give that a try...

EDIT: ... Yeah, I think that's better. And I finally figured out how to make the toolbar icons visible on a dark background.

oeLJC70.png

Edited by HebaruSan

I don't know where this is going to be posted but I'm panicking about the new forum update. I don't if this is just a broken version of the forum but I cannot do many things and it is impossible to navigate the site. Is this permanent or is there a way to fix it and revert it to the older and more user friendly version. I'm convinced that this is a bugged update because there is a lot of overlapping text and broken links.  Edit: welp I look like a idiot now because on my screen it looked like a very buggy version of a early internet days forum.

Edited by Delta dart
welp

3 minutes ago, Delta dart said:

I don't know where this is going to be posted but I'm panicking about the new forum update. I don't if this is just a broken version of the forum but I cannot do many things and it is impossible to navigate the site. Is this permanent or is there a way to fix it and revert it to the older and more user friendly version. I'm convinced that this is a bugged update because there is a lot of overlapping text and broken links. 

It's fixed. I was confused when I saw the GUI disappearing for a moment. Also this type of things is posted in the Kerbal Network section.

I see one big improvement since yesterday. As I page through a thread, each new page starts scrolled down just far enough so the page numbers show at the top of my window. Yesterday, each new page would waste 1/3 of my screen redisplaying the KSP banner, menu bar, thread title, etc.

Please fix the bright white background. I've installed a dark extension, but some parts of the new interface clash with it.

6 hours ago, tater said:

Am I right in thinking it has changed just over the course of today? I have come back a few times, and it looks a little more saturated than it did earlier.

Yes, it has updated and changed as the IT person is responding to everyone's requests.

Everyone, please keep in mind that this is their job, not a hobby, and they mostly work normal business hours. He is making changes, and updating things when he can, but it's not instantaneous.

Please continue to list your concerns, so we can address them (if possible). An official dark mode is probably not possible for now, but I can't make guarantees one way or the other: I simply don't do backend stuff.

11 hours ago, Kerminator1000 said:

Why is everyone hating on the new style?

* It's far too bright, everywhere. While this might look reasonable on a phone in full sunlight, it's tantamount to snow-blindness on a large, high-quality monitor.
* Wasted space everywhere. They even went as far as to put useful and frequently used controls into one of those ridiculous hamburger menus to free up more space to turn into a featureless white void.
* Anything that isn't garishly bright or blindingly white is so low-contrast one needs to squint to see it (i.e. the "jump to" button on the end of the quote header). The height of said header is also a gratuitous waste of space.
* None of the annoyances with the previous incarnation have been fixed, the space-wasting sidebars remain (plus another 1/5 of the screen width lost to a little "newsletter" box on the activity feed), the pointless social-media buttons remain, the editor is still a nightmare, and BBCode support is still MIA.

preview

The activity feed appears to be an exercise in wasting as much screen real-estate as possible, and the rest of the forum isn't much better.
We have a mobile layout already, we don't need the desktop render to have enormous fat-finger friendly elements and portrait-orientation  centric layout as well. Hell, from the width of the actual content this thing looks like it was designed for a 4:3 monitor from 1995.

Ok. First time seeing the new web ui on my pc. gotta say, still do not like it. I am glad however that I did not immediately get flood lit as it loaded as it did on my phone the other day. That is... something? But, ya, what is the deal with all the wasted space? Never saw it <or perhaps noticed it?> on my mobile, but here on my monitor I see it, and I do not like it. I would love the ability to toggle how this looks back into the old style.

54 minutes ago, steve_v said:

preview

A assume you coloured the sides red and that's not what it actually looks like to you - so there are large white borders left and right? I can't see the "Newsletter" thing on my screen

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.