Forum UI Changes

Clamp-o-Tron

14 hours ago, AlamoVampire said:

Im seeing them too. The one with a shield i think indicates moderator (at least i think so, i see that on like vanamonde for example) and the stop hand i think indicates a member who is new (i think) and requires moderator approval. This is my theory.

Oh, wow, I have a shield, too! That's really cool. But everyone knows where there is a shield, there's always some sort of primary weapon. Things that make you go hmmmm...

On 10/27/2020 at 12:01 AM, Vanamonde said:

@Bej Kerman, this is part of on-going work to get the latest version of the forum software running smoothly. Your question has been merged into the master thread. 

And, you're not able to work on a backup, are you? Working on the live thing sounds like a recipe for disaster.

On 10/26/2020 at 11:57 PM, Superfluous J said:
On 10/26/2020 at 8:21 PM, Bej Kerman said:

Not sure where to post this (wouldn't be able to find the suitable topic anyway), but the forum is completely and totally broken. Is it so on your end? It's like there's no style, just text, massive bullet point lists and the default Chrome font.

Screencap

https://imgur.com/k4MOffr

Obligatory "that looks better than correct" post.

(I don't actually think it looks better, but it does not look all that worse)

Honestly I agree

On 10/20/2020 at 3:53 PM, Clamp-o-Tron said:

EDIT: To those who haven't seen, @HebaruSan has an excellent Stylish configuration for a forums "Dark Mode". Check it out, it's great!

Minor announcement, since this thread has effectively become the home page for this dark theme:

Working on this theme served as my personal introduction to CSS variables. I hadn't seen them in action before, but as I inspected the stock stylesheet in dev tools, it was plain that there was a powerful new syntax for styling, because IPS4's default theme is built entirely around CSS variables (to its great benefit). But I didn't yet know how they worked, and rather than risk making mistakes or delay to re-learn CSS, I went about overriding the styles with familiar, simple color literals instead, and made a note to come back and learn variables at some point.

Today I finally went back and rewrote the whole thing to use IPS4's theme variables. The new code is much cleaner and shorter (just 100 lines), as well as more robust and consistent, because it now relies far more on the default theme to do the heavy lifting in places where I previously re-invented the wheel (such as the speech-bubble-tail shapes for popups). Pretty much the only downside is that I can't use hsla() in most places anymore because the stock theme uses rgb(var()) for most colors; hsla() is great for when you want to make a color brighter/darker or more/less saturated without changing the hue, or for mass-adjusting the hues of lots of related colors all at once (e.g., make a blue theme green).

The update is on the userstyles site, available via the "Check for update" button in the Stylish settings. It should look pretty much identical, with a subtle difference here or there, plus styled scrollbars.

@HebaruSan So, to change colors at least, and maybe hide & resize elements, is it possible to just go in and substitute values?

If so, would you mind if I poked it to see if I could manage a slightly different scheme with it? Might be easier to modify yours, than try to fix stuff broen in mine & nbz's... ~1200 lines of code :P
And if so, would it be ok if I made it publicly available, with due credit and same license?

9 minutes ago, Stone Blue said:

@HebaruSan So, to change colors at least, and maybe hide & resize elements, is it possible to just go in and substitute values?

Yup, CSS variables make this pretty easy. These lines at the top set the variables, which are used and re-used across the default stylesheet to create consistent appearances for similar elements:

--theme-page_background: 23, 23, 28;
    --theme-text_light: 148, 148, 184;

To see which variable affects a particular element, press F12 (or Ctrl+Shift+I) to bring up the dev tools, then Ctrl+Shift+C and click the element, and the style info for it will appear in the Styles tab of the dev tools; look for lines containing rgb(var(--some-name)), and the "--some-name" part is the variable:

1azNEFT.png

Sometimes you may need to navigate up or down in the DOM tree in the Elements tab to find the spot where a color is being set.

If so, would you mind if I poked it to see if I could manage a slightly different scheme with it? Might be easier to modify yours, than try to fix stuff broen in mine & nbz's... ~1200 lines of code :P

Feel free!

And if so, would it be ok if I made it publicly available, with due credit and same license?

The license is CC0, which as I understand it is public domain; go for it.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been on here in a few months, and when I get back, it looks completely different. In fact, it almost looks like :vomit: flat design. In unrelated news, I just got into orbit in an SSTO by myself.

Edit: Wait no, I actually haven't been here in over a year. Time really flies by!

Edited by Tux1
oops

16 minutes ago, Tux1 said:

I haven't been on here in a few months, and when I get back, it looks completely different. In fact, it almost looks like :vomit: flat design.

The software that the forum runs on had a UI update a while back. The general response was negative:

On 11/15/2020 at 4:45 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

The response is ALWAYS negative, for every update

You can please some of the people some of the time... and all of the people some of the time... but when the rooster crows in the morning...  no wait..... something like that.   Doesn't matter what happens, somebody is always upset about something. 

I'm officially used to it.  The only thing that still bothers me is the change with how quotes are now put into pseudo-spoilers.  All the other issues I've had with the change have been fixed, like those horrendous, trendy round avatar images.

If you asked me to point out what's different now, I probably couldn't.

10 minutes ago, Geonovast said:

I'm officially used to it.  The only thing that still bothers me is the change with how quotes are now put into pseudo-spoilers.  All the other issues I've had with the change have been fixed, like those horrendous, trendy round avatar images.

If you asked me to point out what's different now, I probably couldn't.

I'm still irritated by the movement of the edit button to a dropdown menu for no reason. But other than that, yeah, most of the problems I had when the update happened have been fixed now.

• 10 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.