Storage randomly filling up when playing KSP

I noticed a problem recently, whenever i start KSP, around 8-9 gigabytes get taken from my storage. I'm using Win10, Newest KSP version and i have around 10 mods.
It starts when i load the game, taking up around 4 gigabytes, then when i try to load a save or something, that number increases to around 6, then it slowly makes it way to 8 or 9 gigabytes.
All of those go away when i close the game, but it stills makes my pc slow until it starts filling up to the last gigabyte. The most intense one i had made me have 30mb left on storage.
I have tried uninstalling all mods, but it still happens.
If anything else is needed to help me out, just tell me and i'll try to get it.

@CardZLol How much memory (RAM) does your computer have, and how much storage space? It seems to me like KSP is taking up all of your RAM, and then asking for more, forcing your computer to temporarily allocate some of your storage space to be used as virtual memory. As far as I know KSP has a bit of an issue where it uses more and more memory over time, so that would explain why you see more and more of your storage being taken for use as extra RAM.

Since you said that removing all of your mods didn't help, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the game just to be sure. If that doesn't work either you might have to buy some more RAM or a bigger hard drive - though I would recommend you add more RAM as having the game constantly reading and writing to the hard drive could cause damage.

2 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

@CardZLol How much memory (RAM) does your computer have, and how much storage space? It seems to me like KSP is taking up all of your RAM, and then asking for more, forcing your computer to temporarily allocate some of your storage space to be used as virtual memory. As far as I know KSP has a bit of an issue where it uses more and more memory over time, so that would explain why you see more and more of your storage being taken for use as extra RAM.

Since you said that removing all of your mods didn't help, I would try uninstalling and reinstalling the game just to be sure. If that doesn't work either you might have to buy some more RAM or a bigger hard drive - though I would recommend you add more RAM as having the game constantly reading and writing to the hard drive could cause damage.

Yeah, i got to that conclusion too. It is definetly KSP trying to get more RAM using the Harddrive. I have 8 gigabytes, but i'll get 16 soon. Thank you!

I suggest to skip 16 GB and go for at least 32 GB, if possible. My modded KSP 1.10.2 install easily consumes up to 16 GB at start-up. It tends to consume more when running for a while with several mods and a fat savegame. (several "flights" (including satellites, stations and ground bases) active)

Please note the following difference:

There is current memory usage (which can go up and down quite rapidly) and there is the commit size. The last one is the higher one and is revelant if you want to prevent disk swapping. It is the memory that KSP pre-reserves in case it is needed, so it doesn't run out of memory if it isn't available when the request for it finally comes (which would lead to an instant OOM crash back to desktop). So even if current consumption (1st value) is lower, the system needs to make sure (that is, to actually reserve) the higher value when KSP asks for this reservation at launch or somewhere during the game (yes, this also can increase, but rarely decreases in-game). So to prevent swapping, you need to have physical RAM for Windows, all background tasks and this very high value from KSP.

If you cannot avoid swapping to disk, it can help greatly if your system drive (where Windows and usually also pagefile.sys resides) is a fast SSD drive instead of a mechanical hard disk. Not to mention that an SSD generally makes the whole system a lot faster, even if your games still are on a separate, classic drive.

On 10/23/2020 at 2:51 PM, sfhq said:

I suggest to skip 16 GB and go for at least 32 GB, if possible. My modded KSP 1.10.2 install easily consumes up to 16 GB at start-up. It tends to consume more when running for a while with several mods and a fat savegame. (several "flights" (including satellites, stations and ground bases) active)

Please note the following difference:

There is current memory usage (which can go up and down quite rapidly) and there is the commit size. The last one is the higher one and is revelant if you want to prevent disk swapping. It is the memory that KSP pre-reserves in case it is needed, so it doesn't run out of memory if it isn't available when the request for it finally comes (which would lead to an instant OOM crash back to desktop). So even if current consumption (1st value) is lower, the system needs to make sure (that is, to actually reserve) the higher value when KSP asks for this reservation at launch or somewhere during the game (yes, this also can increase, but rarely decreases in-game). So to prevent swapping, you need to have physical RAM for Windows, all background tasks and this very high value from KSP.

If you cannot avoid swapping to disk, it can help greatly if your system drive (where Windows and usually also pagefile.sys resides) is a fast SSD drive instead of a mechanical hard disk. Not to mention that an SSD generally makes the whole system a lot faster, even if your games still are on a separate, classic drive.

There's just one problem, i have no money lol

I limited myself to only 5 mods (no parts mod) and it now only uses around 3 gigabytes. Altough it doesnt go back anymore.

• 2 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.