Cannot EVA on Kerbal's Surface

Just started out playing Kerbal.  At the launch site, I am able to properly EVA and gather an EVA report.  However, after launching and landing safely back on Kerbal's surface, the game will not allow me to EVA.  When I click the button it says that I can't EVA off Kerbal's surface without an Astronaut complex upgrade.

I have not left Kerbal.  What gives?  Why can't I EVA on my home planet's surface after launch?

Does the command pod itself need to be on the ground?  It's resting on a flea engine.  Speed is 0m/s and I can recover so I don't think it's hovering.

And it does it for every launch... not an isolated incident.  Here's another horizontal in water.

fm82BSP.png

Edited by jjmartin

2 hours ago, jjmartin said:

Does the command pod itself need to be on the ground?  It's resting on a flea engine.  Speed is 0m/s and I can recover so I don't think it's hovering.

And it does it for every launch... not an isolated incident.  Here's another horizontal in water.

Do all your designs have a parachute plastered onto or very near the hatch? I think what's happening is that you are getting the wrong error message. The message is supposed to be saying "Hatch blocked." The entire hatch has to be clear of attachments, plus an extra bit of additional space around the hatch, before you can open the hatch and EVA.

Ever since the beginning of KSP, as long as you are landed or splashed, you can EVA anywhere on Kerbin. AFAIK, that hasn't changed.

It doesn't look like there is anything obvious about your situation that would be causing any problems, except that your hatch is obviously blocked. Which is why I think you're getting the wrong error message displayed to you.

Edited by bewing

3 hours ago, jjmartin said:

Just started out playing Kerbal.  At the launch site, I am able to properly EVA and gather an EVA report.  However, after launching and landing safely back on Kerbal's surface, the game will not allow me to EVA.  When I click the button it says that I can't EVA off Kerbal's surface without an Astronaut complex upgrade.

I have not left Kerbal.  What gives?  Why can't I EVA on my home planet's surface after launch?

Are you in sandbox or in career?? Cause career you need LVL2 astronaut complex

I don't think this is a bug, as this happens to me quite often, when I forget. Look:

On 10/22/2020 at 8:46 AM, jjmartin said:

fm82BSP.png

In the following example, 2 things: 

1. Timewarp is on. You cannot EVA with timewarp on.

2. They have not upgraded the astronaut complex to level 2. You cannot eva unless your astronaut complex is at least level 2.

Cheers!

Edited by Misguided_Kerbal

2 hours ago, Misguided_Kerbal said:

I don't think this is a bug, as this happens to me quite often, when I forget. Look:

In the following example, 2 things: 

1. Timewarp is on. You cannot EVA with timewarp on.

2. They have not upgraded the astronaut complex to level 2. You cannot eva unless your astronaut complex is at least level 2.

Cheers!

Actually, you can EVA with physics timewarp, which is the case here. you just can't with on-rails timewarp.

Also, you can eva on kerbin with complex level 1.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.