High School Life

Mikenike

This is a chronical series, that I hope it will help my story telling , for another fanfic I will start eventually. I will post probably every Monday,Wednsday and every other Friday. It is for the previous school day. In Louisiana right now, I have to go Tues Thurs and every other Friday. So thats the explaination for the posting schedule. I will leave out big details, such as full names, school name, etc. I put this in The Lounge because its not on topic, or a fanfic.

10/20  Tues

Tuesday was fun, boring but fun. Civics was a recap of American History in 7th grade. We had a test, or a quiz I should say, it was easy I guess. ELA was boring, I am tried of reading Ernest Gaines' A Lesson Before Dying. It is a boring book, that is supposed to reflect the attitude of whites in the 1940's. In the book, they  basically claim that we are really racist. PE is easy, as always right now, I just get to sit on the forums, and hang with yall. Band is exciting, because I have to learn like 20 new songs for our football games. I had been taken off the football band roster twice, and I am hoping to go next weeks game, but who knows. Physical Science was easy, as always. IBCA/ Business is a pain, as we have to type a 3 page essay on some applications of various programs in the business world. I hate geometry right now. Like really hate it. I hate algebra, and I have to use algebra in geometry. I barely passed alegbra last year. My extracurricular activity for tuesday was XC practice. Coach made us run 1 mile 3 times with 5 minute breaks in between. 

I will add more details in the next one (Tomorrow's edition, about Thursday's events)

@adsii1970, I decided to go with an idea for your rants explainations of university professor life, and morph it into this series,  with using the Lounge as the base for it. I will try not to explain because most who read are out of HS, but rather tell about my life as a student on a high school campus.

14 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

Since this is more of a journal or Blog, I'm going to move this out of the games section and into the main lounge. 

I thought I put it in the main, but doesn't kill me.

17 hours ago, Lewie said:

High school for me isn’t going that bad, all a’s except for algebra. (B+) 

shop class and ROTC are by far my favorite classes. Don’t have much time for ksp anymore...bed at 10:30-11:00, waking at 5:30. 

I would love to be in ROTC. I just need to figure out the local ROTC boss and ask some questions before I jump headlong into ROTC. What level algebra, 1 or 2??

10 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I would love to be in ROTC. I just need to figure out the local ROTC boss and ask some questions before I jump headlong into ROTC. What level algebra, 1 or 2??

We just got a class about USF, and I think algebra 1, but its mainly based on GPA, Scholarships (Go army), ACT, and a couple other things.

If you want to be safe, take both.

10/22 Thurs

Thursday was much more eventful. To start it off, my Civics teacher gave us an assignment on [snip]. In ELA, my teacher decided to pull a curveball on us, as stated in the last chapter/blog, we are reading A Lesson Before Dying, and teach decides to make us turn in our reading log early. Well, me being me, I procrastinate a lot, so it wasn't done, I figured I'd get it done toward the end. So I got a bad grade on it because of that. In our PE, Coach B just let us sit around, because our [snip] has put schools in Phase 2 with no upgrade to Phase 3 in site, despite all of the parish and most of the state being in Phase 3. In band we are learning a few songs, My House by Fo Rida, Gonna Fly Now by Bill Conti, Cold Hearted by Paula Abdul, and Haterz by Keith Frank. All of these are for our football game shows. Practice went well, no major problems were needed to be fixed.  Then, I ran up to physical science. Physical science is my favorite class, in part because its fun and the teacher is cool, in part because the girl I have a crush on is in that class. I know, Mikenike is a softie sometimes, whaaaaat?? Anyways, he made us review atomic chart stuff. Super easy. Lunch has to be taken in 5th period for some reason right now, for some requirement of some sort. Well lunch is always interesting, Tuesday I found out that 2 people in the class were crimminals with records. One's seminormal. The other is a socio and psychopath who spent 5 months in mental hospitals out of the last year and a half. Well munch wasn't too bad, chicken burger with tomatos, and my BodyArmor to drink. IBCA/Business is next,where we continue our assignment from Tuesday. It goes by quick because we aren't really allowed to talk in that class. After that is Geometry, we are doing proofs and such, so it went by semiquick. Afterschool was busy, I get out at 1:35, and I went straight for band practice, where we broke up into sectionals and worked on our music. Then we came back together in order to hear what 1/2 the band sounded like. We sounded pretty good. And some of the drumline cadences were phenominal. Well, that ended at 4:00, and I had to go across town to get to my Cross Country meet. I got there long before I had to run, so I watched the girls meet. Unfortunately, our second best runner fell and was out for the rest of the race.  Our race was excitin, it started to ran like 3/4s a mile in, and didn't stop. I unfortunately hurt my foot, twisting it in the run, yet I still got a 23:38 for the 3 mile run. I got my favorite resturant for dinner. I got gumbo, and a shimp poboy. And well thats the end of my day. 

Feel free to follow or comment on my posts, part of my reasons of doing this is to get feedback on my writing style.

Loving this thread!

On 10/23/2020 at 7:37 AM, The_Arcitect said:

I am in high school, and I am taking the JROTC way.

I’m in MCJROTC, what branch is yours through? 

(Sorry for odd wording+typing, my fingers are frozen)

Edited by Lewie

All right. Its 3rd period right now. First period is Civics as always, we had a stupid review for our unit. Second period we had to start on a presentation on Slides, so a discount owerpoint. It was hella boring, and it will probably be bland and boring. Well now I am typing this super short set of sentances, listening to Kendrick Lamar and Jay Rock's Hood Gon' Love It. I don't know why, but I am, so live with it. On a side note, I got my braces off yesterday. Fourth period, Band, where I play trumpet 1 and 2, was interesting. We are learning yet another song, and preping for our football game preformance. This game Thursday will mark my first High School football game. I am hyped, but I know that inspection will be hard. 5th perod physical science was about ions, and ion notes. Then it was over to lunch. Thats all so far.

I also found out that the nearest JROTC group is at another school on the other side of town. ;.;

Edited by Mikenike

Not much today. Just started doing promotions in JROTC,  and in English we read Edger Allen Poe’s ‘Bells’ (I cannot stand dramatic readings!) In biology we talked about invasive species (just the Burmese python). Shop was fun, we continued our work on our Jenga sets. (I’ll include a picture of the finished project when done) lunch was a Dakota burger...urgh. Not bad, but it didn’t really taste like anything...it just...existed. The pears were tasty though! Seeing as I didn’t have any work, I just listened to a podcast (Timesuck episode 214-The granny ripper) In math we had a quiz, it was easy enough. Just some equations and what-not. Play production was ok, we just talked about scenery and backdrops. We’re going to be using sketchup to create a 3d model of a set. (For inherit the wind) So all in all, not a bad day. Just boring.  On Friday I will be helping with a food giveaway (we do one every Friday) and will be heading to a football game. All of this is through JROTC. Fun stuff.

Edited by Lewie

23 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Jebidiah : Aww.. don't worry high school will be a blast! (remembers he flunked high school)

Onlybecause he partied hard and flew harder.

Well to start today's episode, I should probably say that the football game got pushed back to Saturday. ;.;

Well, here I am, sitting in 1st period, in the Media Academic Center or library. Why anm I here one might ask. Well the class that my Civics teacher is in is a combination room split via partition, and it is occupied by testers for some unknown test. So I am sitting in this overstatement of a library, taking a 17 point Civics test on early America and its influences. I think I did good. So I submit it. So I log off the testing application, and get to researching what OS my chromebook is running off of. Turns out it is running off of an in-house OS from Google. So then I log into my safe haven, the venerable forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com I see that I have three notifications, two quotes, and one like. I looked at the quotes. Which were noting too important just @Columbia working on some recreations, and @adsii1970 explaining why the term "Cult Classic" is not an insult. We had a very awkward conversation for ELA. It was mostly silent.  So now I'm in P.E and my friends think that I am working on ELA. even though I'm on here. :D So apparently, we had someone set something on fire in the building. My sources are saying that it occurred in the weld shop. FUN!!! Finally something actually happened. Well, band was freezing because we are outside because of COVID.  Physical science was boring. Just an isotope review. That may or may not be the test. And here I am, screwing around during lunch.

Edited by Mikenike

I think it would be nice to fill in a POV of high school since you know other people are 

I am currently on the second year of high school. Which so far has been a but easy. To put on stack the school was forced to go online thanks to covid. And what we are hearing from scientists, it sounds like my second year will be all online. Which you know... Um for yesterday, well my first class was fine, my second just ok, my third is english and that one has been a little frustrating because it seems we don't talk about english in that class. And then last Math, trying to remember some algebra from last year, and I took a refresher on Trig since it's been a while on that. I also was working really late last night and after my mistakes on the forum last night it left me all exhausted. I don't think I am ready today but hey, sometimes we are never ready! What's gonna happen after I post this will be practicing my chemistry presentation. In which it was a two partner assignment and he never even touched it. Chemistry by far is the hardest class this year, not even coming close to math or any other class. But it's also my favorite class for that reason. It keeps me way more alert during a class than any other one. Chemistry is also the only class where I was told I could work really hard and still only get a B+ (which oddly enough was the grade I got last term.) All my other classes where an A but that one. The class is hard and I like it for that reason. After Chemistry some history and art. Then tomorrow is a work day to get a test, a few assignments, and some quizzes done.

anyway, still feeling bad about last night so if the tone feels negative sorry.

5 hours ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

anyway, still feeling bad about last night so if the tone feels negative sorry.

Don’t worry, it’s alright. (What happened yesterday?) 

Edited by Lewie

3 minutes ago, Lewie said:

Don’t worry, it’s alright. (What happened yesterday?) 

I posted a topic about a concerning problem and I didn't write it correctly which cause some people to reply with things I didn't intent. I also shared a video in a status update that actually broke forum rules (I didn't notice them or else I wouldn't have share it.)

But I want to forget that and move on. So today went great :)

the most stressful part I was most concerned about went fine. I am on track to have a homework free weekend. And I feel good now that I have learned from my mistakes that I will resume posting on the forums.

Well, here goes Fridays new post. I want to say I am sorry for my off time, as I have been busy. All this weekend I ran around doing stuff. Alrighty, lets begin. I love Friday, its just a good day. I woke up, took my retainer out, got in the shower, got out, shaved, and got dressed. I then grabbed my trumpet case, and my bag, and headed out the door with my dad. We got to school about 6:45ish. I walked to my first period, after dropping my trumpet off at the "pound", our band locker room, named for its many cages. I would typically hang out in the band room or in one of the common areas until 1st period, however because of [snip]  I can't. So I checked in with my teach, Mrs. L, and opened my chromebook, and hopped on the forums, as per usual. At 7, we got started. To be completely honest, I toned her out and chilled on the forums. Well a short while later, and I was up to my second hour. We went over some things, and presented our group assignments. Easy to do, for me atleast. After that, it was a short trip over to P.E. or as we call it right now, Useless 101. It went by quick, just me giving some basic answers to my friends. In band, we didn't actually play. We helped set up a tent, one of those big ones, like the ones you see businesses have. Half of us, or the other half, helped count shirts from last year. The remainder of the time we sat around and got to know each other. Despite it being 8 weeks in, I don't know half of my classmates names. In physical science, we didn't have much, a small test, which of course, I aced. Next was lunch, typically luch on Friday is fish, because of someone's religion, I don't know why, but it is. And it's kind of obvious that someone finally complained, because we had grilled cheese that day. I didn't eat the grilled cheese, instead I had an apple, and some fries. I moved on to IBCA where we had a test on what finger what key. I can't remember the keyboard like that, so I did pretty bad. Next was geometry, which I also had a test in. This was a vocab test that was kind of easy, and I hope I passed it, cause I have a C in geometry. After school, I went to tennis, one of the many sports I play. Tennis was a breeze, mostly because me and the coach love to talk, and partly because I love tennis. Tennis on Friday, is a relaxed time, because I have had cross country runs for the majority of the week. We have regionals on Thursday, and I don't have school today, as my school district uses the schools for polling places all day. So Thursday's edition will be a little short. And today we will unfortunately not have an edition. 

5 hours ago, Mikenike said:

typically luch on Friday is fish, because of someone's religion, I don't know why, but it is. 

That’d be Catholicism. No meat on Friday usually just applies to the season of Lent (a season of preparation/repentance for the death/resurrection) but more fundamental followers will abide by this rule year-round.

Todays has been going fine so far. In JROTC we’ve just been doing counseling (just got promoted to Cadet Lance Corporal). Second period english is ok, we had a couple Edger Allen Pie tests. Now I’m in WIN (what’s important now) time so I can post quickly. Next up is Biology and Shop. So...yeah. Didn’t leave the house house until 7:30, kudos to my little sisters. (I like to leave at 7:15)

Currently standing at all A’s, except for math. (B) 

I really need to pick that grade up...3.8 gpa ain’t bad, but not good enough for the Air force....

Edited by Lewie

4 hours ago, Lewie said:

I really need to pick that grade up...3.8 gpa ain’t bad, but not good enough for the Air force....

Guess I need to pick mine up off the floor as well. Great. I want to become an officer in USAF, or if I can't become a USAF officer, enlist in the Marines. I'd love to fly for the USAF.

3 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Guess I need to pick mine up off the floor as well. Great. I want to become an officer in USAF, or if I can't become a USAF officer, enlist in the Marines. I'd love to fly for the USAF.

Same! Are you thinking of going to Officer training school after college?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.