Minecraft Java Microsoft Account Discussion

catloaf

Meh, I think ok, it's not too horrible. What I fear is with the free cape will they start to make stores on Java. As they don't make anymore money with Java after purchase.

Edited by Guest

1 minute ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

Meh, I think ok, it's not too horrible. What I fear is with the free cape will they start to make stores on Java. As they don't make anymore money with Java after purchase.

Yeah, the cape is definitely for nine year old's. Capes aren't special if everyone has one. You aren't considered a "special" veteran player for having and optifine cape or badlion merch.  I also don't really care about stores because I can just play an old version (I only really play modded 1.8 anyways) If they remove the the ability to play old versions I think that everyone will either quit or {snip} the game. What really worries me is that historic accounts will be lost, or people will get false banned from singleplayer. For example, one player on reddit had an old account with a 2 character name, they may be forced to change their name. Also players whos accounts use an email that they don't have access to or doesn't exist. I fall into this boat because my account is registered under my dads email (I know the password for the account but not for the email.) And then of course people getting banned from Minecraft. In the old system you could only be banned from a server, but in the new system Microsoft can and will delete your account for violating the TOS, which could be a disaster for severs like 2b2t (although a potential benefit could be actual punishment for hacking on minigame servers, perhaps a system where server admins could report players for hacking, of course that would only be good if Microsoft tries to prevent abuse.) A much bigger problem is people getting false banned. Lets say someone get banned from a server for hacking. They can then create thousands of bots and then have them all report  the server owner for TOS  violation, which would get the owners Minecraft account deleted.

Oh, the tragedy of Minecraft. A brilliant game, plagued by poor decision making. Played it between beta 1.7.3 and release 1.5.2, just up until Mojang decided 1.6 needed a new launcher, new structure, new everything, because modern... imo the first sign things would be only going downhill from there on. Current game feels like a modpack install and it shows, servers are spread between 1.8 and 1.16 - that's an interval of eight versions! It's a shame that this thing is also happening, but at this point? Eh, I've already cashed out of this mess long ago.

Edited by Guest

it doesn't really matter for me as i mostly play on old anarchy servers. last time i played a new version was when the nether update launched, and only for a day. 

mostly concerned because i really dont want an ms account.

its also cute when they list all the disadvantages of the change, and call them advantages. 

Edited by Nuke

33 minutes ago, Entropian said:

What the heck?  This is ridiculous.  I started playing way back in alpha, long before Microsoft bought it.  Nasty ol' corporate capitalism.  I would think they'll start doing microtransactions for special skins and capes next.

Yeah, but when a company like Microsoft has 25 million user’s wallets they can tap into...

It’s no big surprise, if they will do that. It’s an American company after all...cus y’know, capitalism. [insert patriotic music here] 

(no, I am not hating on America. I love my country)

16 minutes ago, Commodore_32 said:

They do, but not with microtransactions, they have their actual in-game currency (Minecoins)

Wow, this really shows how out of touch I've been with the MC community...

5 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Oh, the tragedy of Minecraft. A brilliant game, plagued by poor decision making. Played it between beta 1.7.3 and release 1.5.2, just up until Mojang decided 1.6 needed a new launcher, new structure, new everything, because modern...

I'm not the only one!  I loved the old java launcher!  Changelog and everything right there!

5 hours ago, Nuke said:

it doesn't really matter for me as i mostly play on old anarchy servers. last time i played a new version was when the nether update launched, and only for a day. 

mostly concerned because i really dont want an ms account.

its also cute when they list all the disadvantages of the change, and call them advantages. 

Unfortunately if you don't migrate your account you will lose the ability to play. This is even worse than bedrock edition because at least on bedrock you can play singleplayer without signing in.

In Russia MS is trying to sue the rights to the Minecraft trademark in Russia.

In 2014 "Minecraft" has been patented by the little-known LLC City.

Their contacts redirect to the "Kolomenskoye Milk" milk company, which tells that LLC City is their affiliate, created for trademarks registering.

They had suggested Microsoft to manufacture and sell milk foods together under "Minecraft" franchise, but got no response and then patented the Minecraft trademark.
They were planning to manufacture drinks for children made of milk and juice, but for some reasons cancelled the project.

In 2016 the McKinsey consulting company has contacted with them, and they suggested the Minecraft milk project again, but this suggestion was rejected, and MS just simply demanded to give up.

LLC City in 2019: income = 2.5 mln RUR (~30k USD), profit 956k RUR (~13k USD).
It also owns such trademarks as (several well-known local brands), Fruit Ninja (a sort of vodka, sounding like the computer game), etc.

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=ru&sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://www.rbc.ru/technology_and_media/23/10/2020/5f9176cb9a7947c1f87d0959

Spoiler

hqdefault.jpg

Wait, they're giving us a cape for migrating the account?! Last time I checked you have to go to MineCon for that super exotic luxurious rare unobtainium cape!

I'm not concerned about Microsoft owning everything. I'm only concerned if their server authentication method changes, that players can't log in to the old versions of Minecraft (I have a 1.7.10 modpack). I myself play with mods, because I don't like playing multiplayer anymore. But if older versions are affected, then fine by me, I'm not playing Minecraft anymore. I'm done with that game, and I'm now looking forward for other games out there!

Oh, the public servers were rife with pay-to-win, basically paying users are much more advantageous than non-paying ones. And they're still running despite the Mojang EULA....
...and how I loathe spending $70 on a server, only to get myself banned because I broke one block on an unprotected spawn area.

10 hours ago, catloaf said:

Also players whos accounts use an email that they don't have access to or doesn't exist. I fall into this boat because my account is registered under my dads email (I know the password for the account but not for the email.)

Last time I checked (4 years ago), I was able to change the email address that is associated with my account by contacting Minecraft Support (or something like that).
They told me that the next time I log in to Mojang, I'll be filling a new email address and... birth date.

2 hours ago, catloaf said:

Does anyone know any good open source alternatives to Minecraft? I've tried Minetest and Terasology and neither suited my tastes.

Classicube, that's Minecraft Classic for you, but the name's still Minecraft....

2 hours ago, Aperture Science said:

Hello, cringe department? I'd like to file a claim.

That whole video was one massive cringe test. I like it when Mojang tries to make things fun, but that video went way too far.

If this makes hacking more difficult though I will be super happy (but only if servers can still allow mods.) It would also be nice if they punish server owners who are actually violating the tos, rather than people like me who are just logging in on a different wifi.

Server owner sells paid god swords:

Microsoft: maxresdefault.jpg

Me tries to log in on my brand new computer

Microsoft: Please start the account recovery process that won't lead anywhere and will be a total waste of your time.

14 minutes ago, catloaf said:

That whole video was one massive cringe test. I like it when Mojang tries to make things fun, but that video went way too far.

You know an update's going to be good when it comes with an entire video saying it isn't bad

14 minutes ago, catloaf said:

Me tries to log in on my brand new computer

Microsoft: Please start the account recovery process that won't lead anywhere and will be a total waste of your time.

linux moment

Edited by Guest

• 4 weeks later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.