Solar panels as landing gear!

chd

Gilly is actually a class F (maybe G?) asteroid.
Orbital velocity is ~33 m/s which means, if you run fast enough and jump to sub-orbit and fart your way to full orbit, you're stuck until your next burrito.

Edited by Xyphos

3 hours ago, Mikenike said:

@chd, whats with the massive relay section??

Probably just a little overbuilt... :-) This was originally an orbital comm relay, temporarily repurposed to deliver some parts down to Gilly.

3 hours ago, Xyphos said:

Gilly is actually a class F (maybe G?) asteroid.

I would doubt, as the Comet sizes would then be bigger. The largest comet is like 8 kilometers (I.) I would say that Gilly is an P or T sized asteroid based on the asteroid scale at hand.

14 hours ago, chd said:

Turns out, Gilly's gravity is so weak that as long as you don't fall over too fast, even the entry-level 1x6 solar panels will hold up your ship... :-)

snip

Well that's awesome. Especially since landing gear usually bounces you off Gill. Maybe will use in future :) 

35 minutes ago, chd said:

Probably just a little overbuilt... :-) This was originally an orbital comm relay, temporarily repurposed to deliver some parts down to Gilly.

With command sections??? Never heard of a relat with one, but ok, I guess.

33 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

I would doubt, as the Comet sizes would then be bigger. The largest comet is like 8 kilometers (I.) I would say that Gilly is an P or T sized asteroid based on the asteroid scale at hand.

Well that's awesome. Especially since landing gear usually bounces you off Gill. Maybe will use in future :) 

Be careful, solar panels have one of the lowers impact tolerences in the game. One of my Kerbals ran into one, at full speed, so 2m/s and it evaporated in thin air, with a small explosive puff.

In the same vein, Communotron-16 antennas actually make pretty good landing gear for teeny-tiny probes.  Just go add their "toggle antenna" action to the "Gear" action group and they work great :)

They're a bit fragile, so only use them on small ships; and they have less friction that a landing-gear leg, so you're more likely to slide downhill if you land on a slope.  But they're extremely lightweight, they extend to a nice long length, and you can stick 'em pretty much anywhere.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.