Need help updating

According to the launcher, I have version 2694 and the most recent version is 2939. I've tried updating, but I don't know which patch to download. Furthermore, when I download a patch, I don't know which folder to apply it to. I've tried several folders where the game is installed, but it keeps telling me to install the patch in a verified KSP folder.

13 minutes ago, billyyank said:

I bought it from this site

You mean the ksp store?

I've never used the updater, I just download a whole new version each time I update.   I still have it in my head from the Alpha days that a new version breaks saves, even though it usually hasn't for many years.  

Also, the launcher also has been outdated for many years, it's recommended you run the game straight from the KSP_64.exe rather than the launcher. 

On 10/23/2020 at 8:51 PM, billyyank said:

2694 and the most recent version is 2939

Those are build numbers, not necessarily version numbers.    The first three numbers are the ones that really matter (1.3.1, 1.9, 1.10.1, etc)    Just pick the correct updater for the version you are starting with, and then you might need to get a series of installers to get to the version you want.   If you have a number of updaters to install, you might be better off just downloading the latest version and starting a fresh install. 

And we're going to move this thread over to tech support. 

Edited by Gargamel

Build id = 02694 is from version 1.8.1 (from just about one year ago) so you would apply two patches in turnyqYuaMd.png
KSPx64-Patch-1.8.1-To-1.9.1.exe
KSPx64-Patch-1.9.1-To-1.10.1.exe

and the directory is the one that contains KSP.exe, which might be down one level from what you might think (image) depending on how you unzipped the game.  The patch program gives the same not-so-helpful error message, whether the version of KSP.exe is not there or not the version it expects.

I use the update patches, because the downloads are 10× smaller,  but in this case you might want to take the time to download the full 1.5-GByte zip file from store.kerbalspaceprogram.com  and copy to the new installation your settings.cfg and any subdirectories under saves/ that you want to continue.

Yeah, update from your version to the next and next. That shpuld work, i.e. ksp 1.8 -> 1.9 -> 1.10 and the foler you want is windows (C:) -> KSP root folder, iirc

i've never done it before but that's the method that should work

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.