PC vs. Console

1DqJOkI.png?1

This is not a thread to discuss which is better than the other; everyone has their favorite, and I don't want to start a version war.  But I am wondering if there are any differences between the two.  Obviously the controls, unless you use a game pad on the PC or a keyboard/mouse on the console.  But are there any noticeable differences, such as frame rate or playability or that kind of stuff between them?

Why do I ask?  I may go console with KSP2, and I've got a wireless keyboard and mouse I can use on the Xbox One S, so controls aren't an issue.  I could also practice with the Xbox controller on my PC.  But I have the PC version of KSP, so I'm wondering if there are any differences to be taken into account for switching (or not switching) when KSP2 drops.

25 minutes ago, Popestar said:

are there any noticeable differences, such as frame rate or playability or that kind of stuff between them?

Updates have always appeared for the PC release before they are ported to consoles, often to the tune of several months.
Performance on PC is scalable by upgrading your hardware (and generally better than consoles provided you have the cash to make it so).
Controls are completely flexible on PC, as you can plug in pretty much any controller you want (or build your own). Yes, you can use wireless keyboards with consoles now, but you're still limited as to compatibility.
Mods are available on PC, and PCs have the hardware (memory primarily) to run them.

That last one alone is a hands-down win for the PC release in my book, there is so much more you can do in KSP when you have access to mods it'd take me days to list it all.

Edited by steve_v

3 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Need I go on?

I doubt it :P

I will add, on the topic of framerate, that almost all console titles traditionally target 30FPS
. I'm not sure if KSP/KSP2 are the same, but personally I consider that kind of FPS borderline unplayable.

ed.

3 minutes ago, DunaManiac said:

Performance with large crafts is generally better than on PC.

Is that "than" meant to be there? (emphasis mine). It suggest the game runs better on console, which IME isn't the case at all.

Edited by steve_v

Mods are the best reason to go PC.

When you put several hundred hours into the game, the stock game gets boring. So mods can give you ways to keep the game interesting and fresh. 

New parts, new game modes (play with life support for example), new planets, rescaled system size etc..

What the others have said is all true.

1 hour ago, Popestar said:

I may go console with KSP2

But one other thing to know is that KSP1 is already pushing the very limits of what consoles can handle. KSP2 is supposed to have even more features. It may be a long time until consoles have enough computation to be able to support KSP2.

1 hour ago, Superfluous J said:
  • Great gaming computer
  • Portable computer
  • Reasonably affordable computer

Pick 2. If you are strapped for cash, pick 1.

The money isn't the problem.  Space on my desk will drive the answer.

2 hours ago, Popestar said:

Space on my desk will drive the answer.

A bigger desk + a decent desktop will almost certainly still work out better value and gaming power/m3 than a laptop... Desks tend to be comparatively cheap and all.

Edited by steve_v

I have both PC and PS4 versions. I enjoy both. I often play around on PC but you can 'cheat' to place a craft in a certain orbit on console too. Performance is much better on PC. The console is chugging with large ships and physics calculations (landing a craft on Eve). You can reliably run multiple missions at the same time on PC but on console a simple switch to a different craft can cause the game go crazy. More difficult to plan missions parallel to each other. You want a balance between missions and mission time. I like to have two, max 3 missions so I while there's a Duna mission there are other things happening in my KSP world. 

I can't wait to see KSP on PS5. I hope that it will be more stable. My laptop works fine with KSP and spec wise it sits between PS4 and PS5 specs. So fingers crossed. 

On 10/24/2020 at 11:10 PM, Popestar said:

This is what I was looking for.  Now I just have to figure out laptop or desktop...

Unless you need the portability of a laptop, a desktop is the best option for performance: without the need to cram all the hardware into a tiny laptop case (with a keyboard, screen, speakers and battery in there too) you can put more and better components into a PC; it can be cooled more effectively meaning thermal throttling is less of an issue; it doesn’t need to worry about battery draining so can use more powerful and power hungry components; it’s easier to upgrade and/or build a desktop; the only reason you’d go for a laptop is because you needed to take it somewhere with you.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/27/2020 at 5:06 AM, jimmymcgoochie said:

Unless you need the portability of a laptop, a desktop is the best option for performance: without the need to cram all the hardware into a tiny laptop case (with a keyboard, screen, speakers and battery in there too) you can put more and better components into a PC; it can be cooled more effectively meaning thermal throttling is less of an issue; it doesn’t need to worry about battery draining so can use more powerful and power hungry components; it’s easier to upgrade and/or build a desktop; the only reason you’d go for a laptop is because you needed to take it somewhere with you.

An arguably bigger argument for the desktop is upgradability. With a laptop if you want to update the gpu or cpu you need a whole new computer, but with a desktop you can just replace a part or two. Laptops are also generally priced higher for equivalent performance than desktops (even pre built's!) Also desktops typically actually have a smaller footprint then a laptop since most of their volume is vertical. Also from my experience gaming laptops are almost useless for gaming when not plugged in. They either throttle to chromebook performance or run out of battery in 10 minutes. So it's not really a choice, get a desktop @Popestar, you won't regret it.

Also don't try to game on a laptop without a monitor, you will hurt yourself with the bad posture.

Edited by catloaf

• 2 weeks later...

I am a big fan of space simulators. For example, I played X3 for thousands of hours. I play X4 also. I just can not imagine how it will be possible to play it on the console. Lots of buttons are used usually, lots going on a screen. You build your own Universe, establish companies in space, etc...The thing I want to say is that some games fit PC much better. The same I may say about consoles. So the best thing will be to have both.

Well, looks like I'll be getting a new machine a whole lot sooner than I wanted to.  My laptop gave me the black screen of death 2 days ago, saying no hard drive was configured.  A reboot took care of that...but this morning when I powered on the fan started clicking.  Loudly.  Not the first machine to do that, so I know I've got about 2 weeks before she dies.  I have a backup laptop for productivity in the event my primary dies, but I gotta get a new rig.  Gonna go HP Omen with a fat 27 inch monitor.  Merry Christmas to me!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.