Hi.

Anders_

Hi,

I got KSP a couple of weeks ago and it has been really fun making rockets and planes. I just wanted to ask for some tips on building planes and rockets in KSP.

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if I should put this in Gameplay and Tutorials or Welcome Aboard. So can someone also tell me if I should move this to Gameplay and Tutorials?

Welcome to the forum @Anders_

I'm happy you are having fun and it is fine to ask questions either here or in gameplay questions.

Where have you got to so far and what are you going to do for your next mission? 

My first tip is that a rocket that flips 2 or 3 times during ascent is usually going to make it. :D

Thanks for the reply!

I have so far only gotten to the Mun (I sadly haven't gotten back yet:(), but I am planning to get to Duna or Eve sometime soon :).

I have also really gotten into flying planes so after learning how to land planes I tried to land at the desert landing strip I had heard about but once I got there I figured out that I needed the DLC which I didn't have, but I'm thinking about getting it. 

On 10/25/2020 at 8:54 AM, Anders_ said:

Hi,

I got KSP a couple of weeks ago and it has been really fun making rockets and planes. I just wanted to ask for some tips on building planes and rockets in KSP.

Thanks!

P.S. I don't know if I should put this in Gameplay and Tutorials or Welcome Aboard. So can someone also tell me if I should move this to Gameplay and Tutorials?

One big thing is to use the MK1 PLANE FUSELAGE and not the standard fuel tanks. The standard ones have the same fuel, but also have oxidizer, which is not needed in an air-breathing aircraft. The Juno engines are underpowered so use at least 3 for small/moderate size craft. If you can, get the Whestley as quick as possible. Save mounting off-center engines for a while. Unless you want serious problems at first.  The scramjets are useful, but inefficient because they are in the air scram mode all the time. Panther's gimbal is annoying, and imprecise. so disable them unless you need the roll control. Start off small and good, soo, two side mounted Whestley's, Mk1 inline. bunch of fuel, and the NCS Nose cone adapter with the small nose cone.

On 10/25/2020 at 5:38 PM, Anders_ said:

I have so far only gotten to the Mun (I sadly haven't gotten back yet:(), but I am planning to get to Duna or Eve sometime soon :).

whoa I have  ksp since like 1 year but I needed like half a year to get to the moon xD Great Job!

On 10/25/2020 at 11:38 AM, Anders_ said:

I have also really gotten into flying planes so after learning how to land planes I tried to land at the desert landing strip I had heard about but once I got there I figured out that I needed the DLC which I didn't have, but I'm thinking about getting it.

Hey, don't think anything about how you play the game. Play it the way you want to. I know plenty of KSP players who have never left Kerbin's sphere of influence! And go with Duna first, it is easier to get there than Eve. Or at least it was in my opinion.

Planes are fun, too. Welcome aboard and please share your screen shots! We love seeing them.

13 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

unless you have subs but that would be using weight inefficiently

Forgive me for asking but what are subs? Also on my second day of playing KSP when I was just checking out the stock rockets I couldn't figure out why all the Liquid Fuel engines wouldn't light. Luckily the next day I found out I needed to throttle up! :)

16 minutes ago, Anders_ said:

Forgive me for asking but what are subs?

I think he meant SRBs, they are solid rocket boosters, which basically means once you turn them on they cant be turned off. They are cheap but inefficient.

17 minutes ago, Anders_ said:

One quick question: Does anyone know some design tips that help stop rocket rotation during takeoff? I made a pretty good rocket but it always starts rotating during takeoff and it messes up everything. Thanks!

If you can post a photograph of your design here, then we would be able to help. But I can give you a piece of advice right now. If you press "T" before you launch, it will activate SAS, which will automatically stabilize your rocket.

18 minutes ago, Anders_ said:

One quick question: Does anyone know some design tips that help stop rocket rotation during takeoff? I made a pretty good rocket but it always starts rotating during takeoff and it messes up everything. Thanks!

Very common issue at the start.  If you have a probe core or a pilot with a high enough level, turn on SAS.  If not, use fins to help stabilize.

I also suggest learning about center of mass and center of lift; both of these will not only help with this, but come in handy in the long run with larger builds.

On 10/25/2020 at 12:38 PM, Anders_ said:

Thanks for the reply!

Professional Tip: You first need to master maneuvers such as docking and Intercepting before you decide to head to the Planets. for now train yourself in Low Kerbal Orbit! Hope this Tip Helps.

Hello and Welcome to the forum.

Edited by DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE