Hi.

Anders_

3 hours ago, Anders_ said:

Forgive me for asking but what are subs? Also on my second day of playing KSP when I was just checking out the stock rockets I couldn't figure out why all the Liquid Fuel engines wouldn't light. Luckily the next day I found out I needed to throttle up! :)

Darn autocorrect! I meant SRBs:P

also known as solid rocket boosters, you can't throttle down or up or turn them off unless something horrific happens or you run out of fuel.

2 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Professional Tip: You first need to master maneuvers such as docking and Intercepting before you decide to head to the Planets. for now train yourself in Low Kerbal Orbit! Hope this Tip Helps.

While helpful to learn, it is not necessary. I went to other planets long before I was able to rendezvous.

@Anders_

https://gofile.io/d/cMOyFT

Here, I edited your spaceship, it should work better now.

Now, you wouldn't learn anything if I didn't explain what I changed and why I changed it, so I'll tell you. First, on the top stage, you selected the nuclear engine. Good choice, however you did use the regular fuel tanks. The thing about the nuclear engine is, it only burns fuel, and does not need oxidizer. So instead of using regular rocket tanks, you should use the airplane tanks when when you use nuclear engines. The second thing I did was I added fins, this will assist in stability as well as maneuverability. Lastly, I changed out the "Swivel" engine for the "Reliant" engine, as you no longer need an engine that gimbals*. The "Reliant" engine has more thrust.

*: Gimbal is when a rocket engine nozzle moves to steer the ship.

42 minutes ago, Omni122 said:

While helpful to learn, it is not necessary. I went to other planets long before I was able to rendezvous.

True, but it makes it 1000 times more difficult engineering wise. i remember my first duna return mission with a kerbal had no rendezvous techniques (it was just on big lander with a TL-800 tank with a LVT-900 terrier and 8 Solid Hammer boosters and i Barely Made it home with only like 100-200 M/s but i got back home safely. now i am much better. 

2 hours ago, Singhnaut said:

also known as solid rocket boosters, you can't throttle down or up or turn them off unless something horrific happens or you run out of fuel.

Actually you can't turn them off AT ALL no matter what happens. Unless you like to hack dat Kerbal Space Program...

@DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE what I mean is if they blow up

51 minutes ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

True, but it makes it 1000 times more difficult engineering wise. i remember my first duna return mission with a kerbal had no rendezvous techniques (it was just on big lander with a TL-800 tank with a LVT-900 terrier and 8 Solid Hammer boosters and i Barely Made it home with only like 100-200 M/s but i got back home safely. now i am much better. 

Actually you can't turn them off AT ALL no matter what happens. Unless you like to hack dat Kerbal Space Program...

I meant if they blow up

@Omni122Thanks for the help, just a couple of questions:

2 hours ago, Omni122 said:

The thing about the nuclear engine is, it only burns fuel, and does not need oxidizer. So instead of using regular rocket tanks, you should use the airplane tanks when when you use nuclear engines.

Would it also work if I drained all the oxidizer from the tanks?

The second thing I did was I added fins, this will assist in stability as well as maneuverability.

Do you have any tips for choosing fins or should I just go with whatever fits?

Lastly, I changed out the "Swivel" engine for the "Reliant" engine, as you no longer need an engine that gimbals

Why exactly do I not need a engine that gimbals? 

Thanks for all your help so far! :) 

@Anders_

As for the first question, Yes and no. The airplane tanks have a higher density* of liquid fuel, but theoretically you could use the regular tanks with oxidizer drained

For the second, also yes and no. Whatever fits is fine, but I would recommend fins that have control surfaces**.

For the third, it's because the fins will do all the steering for you.

*: When I say density I mean fuel/dry mass or fuel/volume ratio, not fuel/wet mass ratio. 

**: Control surfaces are parts of a wing or fin that moves. 

Edited by Omni122

10 hours ago, Anders_ said:

@PopestarI have been using SAS and do you know where I could learn about center of mass and center of lift? Thanks!

Check the Tutorials section of the forum.  I know there is one there somewhere that goes over this.

On 11/3/2020 at 7:14 AM, Omni122 said:

I think he meant SRBs, they are solid rocket boosters, which basically means once you turn them on they cant be turned off. They are cheap but inefficient.

yup thats what I meant

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, Anders_ said:

@VanamondeYeah thanks! The docking was a bit tricky so i'm probably gonna try it again but in the meantime do you know of any tips for docking? Thanks!

Set target to the target port, and try to align your pink marker with your yellow forward marker. Advance at 1 m/s.

On 11/3/2020 at 8:02 AM, Anders_ said:

One quick question: Does anyone know some design tips that help stop rocket rotation during takeoff? I made a pretty good rocket but it always starts rotating during takeoff and it messes up everything. Thanks!

Rotate like spin or rotate flip?

16 hours ago, Anders_ said:

@VanamondeYeah thanks! The docking was a bit tricky so i'm probably gonna try it again but in the meantime do you know of any tips for docking? Thanks!

Use the Lowne Lazy Method™. Imagine you have two vessels, vessel A, and vessel B. Vessel A needs to dock with B, so A right clicks on the docking port it wants to dock to on vessel B, and sets it as a target. Now, you switch to vessel B, and you do the same thing but opposite, you select the docking port you want to dock to on A, and set it as target. Now you use SAS on both vessels to aim at target always. And switch to A and throttle up.

I think I have mostly fixed the problem of rocket rotation during takeoff :), I added some struts to the boosters and that has helped but I still need to test it a bit more because I have only done one launch so far after adding the struts.