Stock, functional Starship replica

...presenting the

SpaceX Starship and Super Heavy

kHt3XrT.jpg

For the last few days, I've decided to take a break from my DOMA mission and try my hand at making a replica of a real world craft.  So here's what I got.  This rocket is a replica of SpaceX's Starship with the Super Heavy launch vehicle, in case you missed the title.  It works, too!

ktceBrG.jpg

The booster is fully recoverable. ( :cool: )

PsufmLd.jpg

It can land on the Mun with 17 kerbals! ( :o )

hGQTVpL.jpg

And guess what!  It can even return to Kerbin! ( :confused: )

0zA5z12.jpg

A great shot at night:

FPbmT67.jpg

Here's the KerbalX link: Starship / Super Heavy

It was made with Restock, so I'm not sure how it will look with stock textures.  I hope the "Metal" fairing option is also "Metal" in stock.

26 minutes ago, RoninFrog said:

Yup, this one does too!

Oh, cool. I never got around to actually downloading it, but I saw the instructions on the KerbalX page to land it like a spaceplane :P Why did you add that ability in if it can already do the bellyflop maneuver?

Edit: I tried it out. Some things were weird as I use the stock textures (I don't use Restock as I don't like the philosophy of that mod), but overall it looks good.

yeoZTyN.png

I did have to remove the Rhinos though as they don't currently have a bare variant in stock, causing the boat-tail to poke through the sides of the fairings.

v8U4Y3u.png

Overall though, nice craft! :D

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Oof!  The

42 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Oh, cool. I never got around to actually downloading it, but I saw the instructions on the KerbalX page to land it like a spaceplane :P Why did you add that ability in if it can already do the bellyflop maneuver?

Reentry and flight are the same as a regular spaceplane, but the Starship doesn't actually have landing gear so it has to land vertically.  The instructions are multiple slides, and the landing is quite complicated since there aren't stock retractable fins.

44 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Edit: I tried it out. Some things were weird as I use the stock textures (I don't use Restock as I don't like the philosophy of that mod), but overall it looks good.

Oh dear!  The cabin lights are inside the fairing!  I'll have to make some changes!  I think I'll replace the Rhinos with Wolfhounds.

1 minute ago, RoninFrog said:

Oh dear!  The cabin lights are inside the fairing!  I'll have to make some changes!  I think I'll replace the Rhinos with Wolfhounds.

I thought about doing that, but I was worried that it'd then have a rather low TWR when on the vacuum engines. Rhinos are pretty powerful...

9 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I thought about doing that, but I was worried that it'd then have a rather low TWR when on the vacuum engines. Rhinos are pretty powerful...

Don't worry!  I fixed all the stock problems and it works fine!  If three Wolfhounds don't have enough thrust, don't forget that you're bringing along got three Vectors!  I'll get an actual stock craft linked here once I get it uploaded.

• 6 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.