Flight Simulators and Stuff!

Misguided Kerbal

Which is the best flight simulator? (In your opinion)  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which is the best flight simulator? (In your Opinion)

• Flightgear
    • Microsoft Flight Simulator
    • X-Plane

So, I am, along with a space nerd, a plane nerd. And I love flight simulators! Recently, I've been getting into flightgear and stuff. there's a train thread, we plane people need a thread too! This thread is meant for the general discussion of planes, flight simulators, and other stuff, like plane-spotting.

Here are some pictures of recent exploits in flightgear:

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_10.10.05_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_10.26.14_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_11.17.27_AM.pn

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_12.31.37_PM.pn

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_2.20.10_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2020-10-26_at_2.35.11_PM.png

3 hours ago, Commodore_32 said:

MS = Microsoft (duh)

CFS = Combat Flight Simulator (a old flight sim similar to Ace combat but better, it was discontinued in 2005 I think)

there were 3 of them. each one launched shortly after an edition of fs. cfs3 was the last, came out with fsX iirc. cfs2 was my favorite.

they are also scenery compatible in case you ever wanted to have a ww2 dogfight in a modern city.

Edited by Nuke

Just now, Nuke said:

it was interesting  feature that you could import scenery between the products.

That sounds cool. 

On a different note, anyone know any plane/atc roleplay discord servers? VATSIM is really complicated, and there aren't any clients that support both Flightgear and Mac. 

On 10/26/2020 at 9:43 PM, Nuke said:

i haven't done flight sims in years.  when i did i preferred combat sims. it would be cool if ms did cfs2020 as a follow up. 

DCS has taken over combat air sims. Jane's combat sims are gone. If you want a basic storyline, then Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown, it has real planes that aren't fully modeled (in depth cockpit, fully functional, like DCS), but an actual story. DCS is basically a more in depth game, focused on the real thing and real combat over a storyline. DCS extra aircraft, so anyting other than the TF-51 and SU-25 is $80. DCS is free itself, but the extras cost, but are worth it. AC7SU is a combat and storyling type game. The weapons are not realistic, at least the numbers of the missiles, and some of the weapons, like the railgun. 

CFS has been gone since before I was born.

9 hours ago, miguelsgamingch said:

3/5 For Flightgear.

In terms of actual flying experience, I think flightgear deserves a 4/5. They have very realistic physics, advanced flight models, and it's free! The only thing that gets it a 4/5, in my book, is the UI. UI looks old, but it's tolerable.

6 hours ago, Mikenike said:

DCS has taken over combat air sims. Jane's combat sims are gone. If you want a basic storyline, then Ace Combat 7 Skies Unknown, it has real planes that aren't fully modeled (in depth cockpit, fully functional, like DCS), but an actual story. DCS is basically a more in depth game, focused on the real thing and real combat over a storyline. DCS extra aircraft, so anyting other than the TF-51 and SU-25 is $80. DCS is free itself, but the extras cost, but are worth it. AC7SU is a combat and storyling type game. The weapons are not realistic, at least the numbers of the missiles, and some of the weapons, like the railgun. 

CFS has been gone since before I was born.

last flight sim i bought i believe was lomac, i played it for 3 days and got bored.

im almost 40 so many of the games i have fond memories of nobody has ever heard of it seems.

Edited by Nuke

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.