[1.12.x] Space Dust - Atmospheric and Exospheric Harvesting (24/06/2022)

Nertea

28 minutes ago, vardicd said:

Color me curious. It may just be because I've been awake now for a solid 24 hours, but I'm having difficulty understanding, does this mod add new resources, or just change how stock resources are found and harvested? or some combination of both? 

This mod doesn't add any new resources, but adds a system for distributing any KSP resource in atmospheres and free space. Then provides ways to find and harvest that resource. 

1 hour ago, Starhelperdude said:

Windows 10

Windows 10 should absolutely have a LocalLow folder. Can you at least find the Local and Roaming folders in AppData?

1 hour ago, vardicd said:

Color me curious. It may just be because I've been awake now for a solid 24 hours, but I'm having difficulty understanding, does this mod add new resources, or just change how stock resources are found and harvested? or some combination of both? 

Space Dust doesn't change the stock resource system, it adds new ways to harvest resources. It comes with configurations for many stock resources and some moded ones (liquid hydrogen, antimatter, ect) and can be expanded by other mod makers to include even more resources. 

I think there is a bug in the Sift o  tron 250. As soon as I turn it on on Kerbal it fills 5575688 units of Argon... like instantly.... Xenon took 30 sec to get to 28 and in the same time 1430 Oxidizer was pulled from air. I think Argo is broken.

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Edited by Atlas Gaming

Hey am I missing something? I 've had the spectral telescope pointed at the Mun for weeks now... the info on the telescope shows hydrogen and oxidzer  percentages... but when I click on the Mun itself and click the icon for this app it says no resources discovered. 

Right... not percent.. I guess my question is what do I need to do, in order to see the halo of gases on any other plants/moons other than Kerbal... becasue so far every place I've brough parts from the mod, I can collect stuff on some, but there is no visual halo like there is on kerbin

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

Well, could be a bug going on, but I don't see any issues with that in my install (just flipping between planets in a fully discovered save). What resources have you collected, how, and from where? Did you actually discover anything using the scanning parts?

Edit: Wait looks like I was cooping hydrogen from kerbin buble while close to mun.. SO mun and minimus don't have any dust? I'll stop hitting my head against the desk if thats the case LOL

So how do you 'discover' if not with the telescope? And if with the telescope, how long does it need to constantly scan a single object to mark as discovered?  Mun. 

Images follow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmhf5rw0y7g9ci8/dust3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltlkaz55uop0rvp/dust4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpvf456njd90dak/dust5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgam5hiqfp332wt/dust6.jpg?dl=0

Edited by Atlas Gaming

1 hour ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Edit: Wait looks like I was cooping hydrogen from kerbin buble while close to mun.. SO mun and minimus don't have any dust? I'll stop hitting my head against the desk if thats the case LOL

So how do you 'discover' if not with the telescope? And if with the telescope, how long does it need to constantly scan a single object to mark as discovered?  Mun. 

Images follow:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gmhf5rw0y7g9ci8/dust3.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ltlkaz55uop0rvp/dust4.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xpvf456njd90dak/dust5.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/lgam5hiqfp332wt/dust6.jpg?dl=0

No, there is no atmosphere on either of those planets, so proooobably no atmospheric resources :P. 

Ok tried scanning duna and eve with telescope... no harvestable resources... If I was scanning with Scansat, what I just did would show resources... so I'm clearly not doing something right... Only plant I have resource cloud is Kerbin.

Anyone else get this mod to work? what process did you do to find dust clounds around Eve/Duna?

Edited by Atlas Gaming

7 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Ok tried scanning duna and eve with telescope... no harvestable resources... If I was scanning with Scansat, what I just did would show resources... so I'm clearly not doing something right... Only plant I have resource cloud is Kerbin.

Anyone else get this mod to work? what process did you do to find dust clounds around Eve/Duna?

I have the same problem except I can't even see the kerbin dust cloud

14 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Take the following steps to replicate my test:

1. Start a fresh save.
  2.  Make a thing with the spectral telescope, equip an Xenon and a LF scanner
  3. Cheat to orbit, infinite EC
  4. Target Eve.
  5. Start scan.
  6. Timewarp a few days

You should get a screen message saying "we discovered Xenon near Eve". More messages will follow (IDed xenon, discovered LF). You should now be able to see overlay things near Eve. 

Let me know what happens on your install.

Ok... I will focus on eve next... I focused on Eve last nigh actually and it found Xenon... so at least confirmed my install isn't fugged. I guess I initially was not clear that ONLY ATMOSPHERE plants had dust. Maybe dust name rather than exosphere gas resources made me thing all objects have SOME dust around them. But now that I see it's only a few planets (I think it found something on Jool too) have these gas resources I think its working fine.

Did I miss the description saying only planets with atmospheres? or is it not really mentioned? I'd suggest it should be pretty obvious in description so people don't spend hours and hours scanning Mun and others without atmosphere  expecting results like I did.

Very pretty MOD BTW! I've also got the far future loaded and it looks like that adds a couple more resources right?

7 hours ago, Starhelperdude said:

I have the same problem except I can't even see the kerbin dust cloud

You need to be in MAP view and click on the icon for this mod to turn on the gas view... and zoom in close to the planet

21 hours ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Did I miss the description saying only planets with atmospheres? or is it not really mentioned? I'd suggest it should be pretty obvious in description so people don't spend hours and hours scanning Mun and others without atmosphere  expecting results like I did.

There's also some things that exist in interstellar space, but to be honest there aren't a ton of definitions. I placed resources that I (i.e., my mods) and stock care about, and only for stock bodies where it made sense. There might be scope for, say, some airless bodies to have trace amount of some volatiles (and this is easily done with the mod), but I'm not maintaining those definitions and I didn't supply parts to do that. 

It's important to note the distinction between Telescopes and Scanners:

• Scanners: Scanners are parts you place on a vessel like a probe, then fly to you destination. Different scanners operate differently, some may need you to fly into the resource band, others can detect things from a distance. Make sure to consult the Part Info window to see how a scanner works . 
  • Telescopes: Telescopes function at a distance. Target Celestial bodies you are interested in and start surveys - eventually, depending on distance and the target, you will start discovering things - as long as they aren't too far away or too difficult to find. There is no substitute for actually sending a probe in!

If you spend your whole time using the telescope, you are not going to find everything (or it might take forever).  The real only way to know if you've found everything is to send a probe with the survey scanner out and drop it into the right orbit to pass through (or near) places where there might be resources. 

Edited by Nertea

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

There's also some things that exist in interstellar space, but to be honest there aren't a ton of definitions. I placed resources that I (i.e., my mods) and stock care about, and only for stock bodies where it made sense. There might be scope for, say, some airless bodies to have trace amount of some volatiles (and this is easily done with the mod), but I'm not maintaining those definitions and I didn't supply parts to do that. 

It's important to note the distinction between Telescopes and Scanners:

• Scanners: Scanners are parts you place on a vessel like a probe, then fly to you destination. Different scanners operate differently, some may need you to fly into the resource band, others can detect things from a distance. Make sure to consult the Part Info window to see how a scanner works . 
  • Telescopes: Telescopes function at a distance. Target Celestial bodies you are interested in and start surveys - eventually, depending on distance and the target, you will start discovering things - as long as they aren't too far away or too difficult to find. There is no substitute for actually sending a probe in!

If you spend your whole time using the telescope, you are not going to find everything (or it might take forever).  The real only way to know if you've found everything is to send a probe with the survey scanner out and drop it into the right orbit to pass through (or near) places where there might be resources. 

Ok good to know... I actually started with a probe (BTW there is just 1 of each right? 1 sat and 1 probe  that I see) and didn't see anything on Mun, so started trying telescope... and with your help found some other planets, so now time to send up probes. Can I assume that the probe from Far Future works in the same manner as the Dust one?

50 minutes ago, Atlas Gaming said:

Ok good to know... I actually started with a probe (BTW there is just 1 of each right? 1 sat and 1 probe  that I see) and didn't see anything on Mun, so started trying telescope... and with your help found some other planets, so now time to send up probes. Can I assume that the probe from Far Future works in the same manner as the Dust one?

Yes, FFT uses SpaceDust to run its scanners and harvesters (whole reason I wrote SpaceDust..)

Been playing with this today, and while the parts look very cool, I'm not sure everything is working as intended for me. I have both SpaceDust and SpaceDustBunnies installed alongside JNSQ and RationalResources; NFP is installed but I haven't installed FFT yet.

I sent a gas scanner into 300km polar orbit to see what I could discover around Kerbin. However, it says it is disabled even when it is enabled:

Spoiler

BAh7vFy.png

The telescope has two slots available to scan twelve different resources, so naturally I stuck six of them inside a 5m fairing so that I could scan all resources at once for a given body. However, most of them display one or zero spectrometers when surveying, and most also don't open when activated:

Spoiler

uIXYaeo.png

Log file. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot - thanks.

3 hours ago, PocketBrotector said:

Been playing with this today, and while the parts look very cool, I'm not sure everything is working as intended for me. I have both SpaceDust and SpaceDustBunnies installed alongside JNSQ and RationalResources; NFP is installed but I haven't installed FFT yet.

I sent a gas scanner into 300km polar orbit to see what I could discover around Kerbin. However, it says it is disabled even when it is enabled:

Reveal hidden contents

BAh7vFy.png

The telescope has two slots available to scan twelve different resources, so naturally I stuck six of them inside a 5m fairing so that I could scan all resources at once for a given body. However, most of them display one or zero spectrometers when surveying, and most also don't open when activated:

Reveal hidden contents

uIXYaeo.png

Log file. Please let me know if there's anything I can do to troubleshoot - thanks.

Something is happening to break most of the mod. I have to assume it is SpaceDustBunnies and RationalResources.

I had a quick look at SpaceDustBunnies and saw some bad configuration errors which are going to cause the telescope issues you see there. They should fix that but I should also be guarding against errors better so I'll do that in the next release. 

The first error is harder to trace from the log, I again suspect bad configs so I will dig into those later. 

- edit: the broken file is causing a failure cascade which breaks the mod. I've solved this and will issue a release soon 

Edited by Nertea

SpaceDust 0.3.3

• Fixed tech node of gas scanner
  • Better exception handling and logging for broken distributions and instruments
  • Better default values for un/misconfigured distributions and instruments
  • Fixed an issue that would cause scanned/harvested resources to not understand resource density correctly.

This release should harden considerably against incorrect configuration breaking the mod. 

On 10/28/2020 at 9:36 PM, Nertea said:

Update 0.1.1

• Added missing B9PartSwitch to distribution
  • Added Science integration: in Science or Career mode, identifying or discovering a resource band will add science to your space program
    • This is configured by a base value in SpaceDustSettings.cfg, which is scaled by the Hight Orbit scale of the body in question
    • Configurable per-band by specifying discoveryScienceReward or identifyScienceReward in the band's configuration
  • Fixed an issue where a part with ModuleSpaceDustTelescope would brick the game in a new and fun way

Am I right to think that the discovered resources are not listed anywhere but on the map view? Cannot find them in the science Archive, nor 'in' the space dust telescope. If they should be listed, I am of course more than happy to submit this as a bug in the proper way ;-)

On 1/9/2021 at 7:44 AM, J4SJA said:

Am I right to think that the discovered resources are not listed anywhere but on the map view? Cannot find them in the science Archive, nor 'in' the space dust telescope. If they should be listed, I am of course more than happy to submit this as a bug in the proper way ;-)

Correct, I was trying to make the overlay also visible in the tracking station at one point, but the tracking station's weird.