[1.12.x] Space Dust - Atmospheric and Exospheric Harvesting (24/06/2022)

Nertea

Hi @Nertea,

I'm having a problem with atmospheric harvester (the "Sift-o-tron 250") and it kinda sucks, or rather - doesn't.

When on Kerbin - it works with no problem - connected a battery, harvester, radiators and an empty tank and it starts harvesting right away (surprisingly, even if the tank is full, but never mind that).

When around Jool (below/above 200KM, doesn't make a difference), it just shuts off a second after I turn it on. (Space Dust tool-menu shows there's LH in both atmosphere and exosphere).

The system-heat-loop has plenty of heat-rejection (17MW), and I have plenty of room, plenty of power, but still nothing.

Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

33 minutes ago, Neebel said:

I assume Space Dust is not compatible with Scansat since it has it's own scanners and telescopes?

Different scanners and telescopes. SCANSat does surface resources and other terrain mapping (visual, altimetry), and Space Dust does atmospheric and exospheric (read: space) resources floating in space. AFAIK they shouldn't conflict, instead they should complement each other in terms of scanning capabilities. But I'm not Nertea, so don't take this as a definitive answer.

1 minute ago, OrdinaryKerman said:

Different scanners and telescopes. SCANSat does surface resources and other terrain mapping (visual, altimetry), and Space Dust does atmospheric and exospheric (read: space) resources floating in space. AFAIK they shouldn't conflict, instead they should complement each other in terms of scanning capabilities. But I'm not Nertea, so don't take this as a definitive answer.

Ok, thanks for the answer!

On 3/22/2021 at 9:13 AM, TaintedLion said:

Does this work with complete planet system overhauls like JNSQ?

Not out of the box but I believe there are configs

SpaceDust 0.4.0:

• Updated B9PartSwitch to 2.18.0
  • Resources are visible in the tracking station
  • Fixed an issue where null execptions would happen on switching to and from a Kerbal
  • Rebalanced Jool resource distributions that were way too high.

Hi,

I updated to space dust 0.4 (with all dependencies).

Build a ship with the "Bussard" exospheric scoop. Upon lunch I'm getting a consistent crash:

[EXC 09:59:17.677] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.AddFlux (System.Single outletTemperature, System.Single systemPower) (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.FixedUpdate () (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)

Previously in the log I'm getting:

[ERR 09:59:17.571] Cannot find config in file : WATERFALL_SETTINGS

Full log available here

Edit: Actually, even with just opening the tracking center KSP is crashing. Last lines in the log:

[ERR 10:15:19.853] Cannot find config in file : WATERFALL_SETTINGS

[LOG 10:15:19.853] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Started loading
[LOG 10:15:19.853] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading models
[LOG 10:15:19.856] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 8 models
[LOG 10:15:19.856] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading textures
[LOG 10:15:19.858] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 14 textures
[LOG 10:15:19.858] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading shaders
[LOG 10:15:19.860] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 7 shaders
[LOG 10:15:19.860] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Finished loading
[LOG 10:15:19.861] 3/28/2021 10:15:19 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Initializing Phase Angle Render
[LOG 10:15:19.891] 3/28/2021 10:15:19 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Initializing EjectAngle Render
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][ToolbarUI] Changed focus to Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay] Changed focus to Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Removing body fields
[LOG 10:15:19.912] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generating fields for Antimatter around Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.917] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generating fields for kerbRing TRACKER BRO
[LOG 10:15:19.930] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generated field for Kerbin.kerbRing

Edited by Omeran

On 3/28/2021 at 10:06 AM, Omeran said:

Hi,

I updated to space dust 0.4 (with all dependencies).

Build a ship with the "Bussard" exospheric scoop. Upon lunch I'm getting a consistent crash:

[EXC 09:59:17.677] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.AddFlux (System.Single outletTemperature, System.Single systemPower) (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)
    SpaceDust.ModuleSpaceDustHarvester.FixedUpdate () (at <9fdbabd8c3b74ef7bfa18508d07db5f6>:0)

Previously in the log I'm getting:

[ERR 09:59:17.571] Cannot find config in file : WATERFALL_SETTINGS

Full log available here

Edit: Actually, even with just opening the tracking center KSP is crashing. Last lines in the log:

[ERR 10:15:19.853] Cannot find config in file : WATERFALL_SETTINGS

[LOG 10:15:19.853] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Started loading
[LOG 10:15:19.853] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading models
[LOG 10:15:19.856] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 8 models
[LOG 10:15:19.856] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading textures
[LOG 10:15:19.858] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 14 textures
[LOG 10:15:19.858] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loading shaders
[LOG 10:15:19.860] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Loaded 7 shaders
[LOG 10:15:19.860] [Waterfall][Asset Library]: Finished loading
[LOG 10:15:19.861] 3/28/2021 10:15:19 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Initializing Phase Angle Render
[LOG 10:15:19.891] 3/28/2021 10:15:19 AM,KerbalAlarmClock,Initializing EjectAngle Render
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [PlanetariumCamera]: Focus: Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][ToolbarUI] Changed focus to Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay] Changed focus to Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.911] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Removing body fields
[LOG 10:15:19.912] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generating fields for Antimatter around Kerbin
[LOG 10:15:19.917] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generating fields for kerbRing TRACKER BRO
[LOG 10:15:19.930] [SpaceDust][MapOverlay]: Generated field for Kerbin.kerbRing

Didn't reproduce after upgrading to 0.4.1 :)

I still can't find a way to make the exospheric harvesters (Bussard and Sift-o-Tron) to work.
I tried the Bussard particle scoop - It works on the ground (Kerbin), but as soon as I start the flight it shuts down immediately after I turn it on (just like the Sift-o-Tron). Same behavior in atmosphere and outside it (I checked the log, it doesn't show anything when I (try to) turn the harvester on).
When using the atmospheric ramscoop things did work and I was able to harvest oxidizer (In Kerbin) up to a very decent altitude.

So, what am I doing wrong? is there any guide or reference for using these parts?

36 minutes ago, Omeran said:

I still can't find a way to make the exospheric harvesters (Bussard and Sift-o-Tron) to work.
I tried the Bussard particle scoop - It works on the ground (Kerbin), but as soon as I start the flight it shuts down immediately after I turn it on (just like the Sift-o-Tron). Same behavior in atmosphere and outside it (I checked the log, it doesn't show anything when I (try to) turn the harvester on).
When using the atmospheric ramscoop things did work and I was able to harvest oxidizer (In Kerbin) up to a very decent altitude.

So, what am I doing wrong? is there any guide or reference for using these parts?

Seems ok to me. 

• If you have SystemHeat installed, do you have enough cooling? Enough electricity?
  • Sift-O-Tron is an atmospheric processor, not an exospheric processor

What do you mean by 'shuts down', really? I might need some reproduction steps, mod list, etc. 

13 minutes ago, Nertea said:

Seems ok to me. 

• If you have SystemHeat installed, do you have enough cooling? Enough electricity?
  • Sift-O-Tron is an atmospheric processor, not an exospheric processor

What do you mean by 'shuts down', really? I might need some reproduction steps, mod list, etc. 

I do have SystemHeat, enough cooling and enough electricity (the Bussard seems to work fine while landed).

You can see it here - I'm turning it on, there are changes in the system heat panel, and it immediately turns off.

My mod list isn't very big. Basically - most NF mods, far future tech, DMagic orbital science, and Konstruction, but here is a full list anyway:

Spoiler

CommunityResourcePack
SCANsat
ModuleManager
CommunityCategoryKit
EasyVesselSwitch
DMagicOrbitalScience
KerbalPlanetaryBaseSystems
KerbalAlarmClock
SpaceDust
BetterBurnTime
HideEmptyTechNodes
CapCom
ProgressParser
ContractParser
ToolbarController
ClickThroughBlocker
ZeroMiniAVC
ScienceAlert
KerbalInventoryForAll
TrackingStationEvolved
B9PartSwitch
NearFutureElectrical-Core
NearFutureExploration
CryoEngines
NearFuturePropulsion-XenonHETs
NearFuturePropulsion
NearFutureSolar
NearFutureSolar-Core
NearFutureSpacecraft
CommunityTechTree
NearFutureElectrical
CryoTanks-Core
CryoTanks
NearFutureProps
Konstruction
FirespitterCore
USITools
NearFutureLaunchVehicles
KerbalAtomics
SpaceTuxLibrary
NearFutureConstruction
DeployableEngines
DynamicBatteryStorage
SystemHeat
HeatControl
FarFutureTechnologies
SystemHeat-FissionReactors
Waterfall
MakingHistory-DLC
BreakingGround-DLC

6 minutes ago, Omeran said:

I do have SystemHeat, enough cooling and enough electricity (the Bussard seems to work fine while landed).

You can see it here - I'm turning it on, there are changes in the system heat panel, and it immediately turns off.

My mod list isn't very big. Basically - most NF mods, far future tech, DMagic orbital science, and Konstruction, but here is a full list anyway:

I think it's overheating and the 'overheated' message is not being posted. The max temp of the part is 600K and your loop is at 1400K, so you're turning it on and it's instantly shutting down. 

I'll make a note to look into the missing message. 

5 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I think it's overheating and the 'overheated' message is not being posted. The max temp of the part is 600K and your loop is at 1400K, so you're turning it on and it's instantly shutting down. 

I'll make a note to look into the missing message. 

You're right!

I switched off the reactor, let it cool, and now it is harvesting.

Thanks!

Should the Bussard particle scoop work while in Jool's atmosphere, at about 180km altitude? I have it harvesting, and the "Intake Flow" and "Resources" fields are both completely blank, and no resources are coming in. Despite the Trace Gas Analyzer and the Spectrographic Gas Scanner both reporting 7.3 units/meter^3 for LqdHydrogren, and my craft having space capacity in its tank for LqdHydrogen.

The Bussard scoop is definitely harvesting, and has power and is cooled. I can provide my log / mod list, but first am I just misunderstanding how it should work? Thanks in advance.

VAi4cdk.png

ETA: I'm using the Bussard as I also intend to harvest deuterium and He3, and it seems to be the only part capable of this. Neither of the scanners can scan for deuterium or He3, and the telescope can only look for deuterium, but according to the config files they're both present in Jool's atmosphere below 200km, so I'd have thought simply going into the atmosphere with the only part that can harvest them would harvest them?

ETA2: With the Hoover Atmospheric Ramscoop I've managed to harvest Hydrogen and Deuterium, no He3 yet.

ETA3: Managed to get He3 at about 103km altitude with the ramscoop, guess the ramscoop is definitely the part to use in Jool's atmosphere :)

ETA4: I also realise now this was the completely wrong thread, and these parts are part of FFT...

Edited by Mutex

How do resources defined in this mod relate to exospheric resources as defined in the CRP - for example:

PLANETARY_RESOURCE:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	ResourceName = Antimatter
	ResourceType = 3
	PlanetName = Kerbin
	Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 1000
	}
}

VS.

SPACEDUST_RESOURCE
{
  resourceName = Antimatter
  body = Kerbin
  RESOURCEBAND
  {
    name = kerbRing
  }

}

Do they replace each other? Just live on top of each other? Does the space dust distribution somehow get converted into the CRP one at some point?

Just trying to figure out how this might cooperate with other mods that mess with exospheric resources.

Edited by AtomicRocketBooster

• 3 weeks later...

Do the harvesters require an air intake in order to work? Even though I discovered bands of liquid hydrogen in the exosphere of Kerbin, when I activated a harvester, it said "harvesting", but even with time warp the LH2 levels hadn't changed.

Hi!

I am wanting to use Space Dust  in a modded game in Beyond Home and it doesn't seem to be a working combination out of the box.

So I was wondering how/what does one to change/adjust to add different planets to the resource belts ?

Kind regard,

Yuu

On 4/28/2021 at 1:05 PM, Yuubari_ said:

Hi!

I am wanting to use Space Dust  in a modded game in Beyond Home and it doesn't seem to be a working combination out of the box.

So I was wondering how/what does one to change/adjust to add different planets to the resource belts ?

Kind regard,

Yuu

Yes, there are no included configs for BH. 

You can take a look at the wiki  for how to author distributions.

On 4/1/2021 at 9:10 AM, Mutex said:

Should the Bussard particle scoop work while in Jool's atmosphere, at about 180km altitude? I have it harvesting, and the "Intake Flow" and "Resources" fields are both completely blank, and no resources are coming in. Despite the Trace Gas Analyzer and the Spectrographic Gas Scanner both reporting 7.3 units/meter^3 for LqdHydrogren, and my craft having space capacity in its tank for LqdHydrogen

It’s an exoatmospheric harvester. Meaning it works outside the atmosphere. 
You need the Atmospheric ram scoop

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Yes, there are no included configs for BH. 

You can take a look at the wiki  for how to author distributions.

I see! 

I was trying to do so but I am probably too stupid ^^"""

Since I have basically no experience with it and what I tried didn't seem to work (I used it on all discovered to check if it works ^^)

20 hours ago, Yuubari_ said:

I see! 

I was trying to do so but I am probably too stupid ^^"""

Since I have basically no experience with it and what I tried didn't seem to work (I used it on all discovered to check if it works ^^)

I would try the very basics first, copy an existing config that is similar to what you want and change the planet names. 

On 4/23/2021 at 3:20 PM, KallangoVerde said:

Could this conflict with the radiation rings of the Kerbalism mod?

Nope. 

On 4/6/2021 at 9:50 AM, AtomicRocketBooster said:

How do resources defined in this mod relate to exospheric resources as defined in the CRP - for example:

PLANETARY_RESOURCE:NEEDS[CommunityResourcePack]
{
	ResourceName = Antimatter
	ResourceType = 3
	PlanetName = Kerbin
	Distribution
	{
		PresenceChance = 1000
	}
}

VS.

SPACEDUST_RESOURCE
{
  resourceName = Antimatter
  body = Kerbin
  RESOURCEBAND
  {
    name = kerbRing
  }

}

Do they replace each other? Just live on top of each other? Does the space dust distribution somehow get converted into the CRP one at some point?

Just trying to figure out how this might cooperate with other mods that mess with exospheric resources.

Completely orthogonal, they will not interact.