What is something you saw for the first time in KSP that made you happy you saw it?

AlamoVampire

Seeing an orbiting asteroid from the surface of Pol within 2.3km, one of the base modules zoomed in on it and saw the miner attached to it too. I probably achieved the lowest stable orbit yet at Pol on my save and now I can view the asteroid I brought there.

On 11/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, AccidentalColonies said:

Most recently, piloting one of my ships into a stable Lagrange point (Kerbin-Mun L4) and it is the highlight of my week so far. Now I'm seeking to put one into L5 for a nice balanced communications network.

https://imgur.com/a/H2GaCmC

Wait what?! I didn't realize planets in KSP had lagrange points.

9 minutes ago, Vezbot said:

Seeing an orbiting asteroid from the surface of Pol within 2.3km, one of the base modules zoomed in on it and saw the miner attached to it too. I probably achieved the lowest stable orbit yet at Pol on my save and now I can view the asteroid I brought there.

Wait what?! I didn't realize planets in KSP had lagrange points.

No, they don’t.  You need at least 2 body physics, KSP doesn’t have that.  You can pretend, because the points are in well known locations, and use a mod to keep them in orbit, but its not real.

On 11/5/2020 at 8:16 AM, AccidentalColonies said:

Most recently, piloting one of my ships into a stable Lagrange point (Kerbin-Mun L4) and it is the highlight of my week so far. Now I'm seeking to put one into L5 for a nice balanced communications network.

https://imgur.com/a/H2GaCmC

Not real Lagrange po8nts, they dont exist in KSP

Not real Lagrange po8nts, they dont exist in KSP

You are correct, they do not. I apologize for the confusion I made, I was using a mod called Principia that added n-body physics.

Edited by AccidentalColonies
acceptance

Comet being visible in the sky of Kerbin (and still kick myself for not taking a screenshot). I came back to playing KSP after looong break and comets where not a thing back when I stopped.

For moment I was thought it was debris from my previous experiment still falling down but realised it "stayed" in same place than burning debris would have done.

Ages ago ofc, but i still remember when i made my first true mission in KSP when i got the game, SSTO to laythe and then back.  I had the super ancient visual mod with utterly AMAZING scatter effects that made the backside of planets glow black i dont even remember the name of, a mod that im just sad dissapeared from existence (and the current revamp of it i found somewhere doesnt do the old one any justice, and well it cant since EVE mod itself doesnt support the old rendering methods that made said mod possible).

ZYO5IOw.png

Its not "realistic" at all, but damn dat laythe looked amazing back in the day...

rkBeOGA.png.png

Dat jool, i will never forget how amazing this game looked back with the old mods i ran.  Nowadays we still have plenty of nice mods, scatterer is a huge improvement with ins sunflare, and arguably better atmo fx, and there are EVE packs out there that dont suck (like the one i made myself), but to this day no combination of visual mods/tweaks does justice to what was out there when i first started playing KSP!

VWRtVnr.png

Ohh and i cant forget the first actually fully armored warship i ever made in KSP, I still have it in my saves even if its completely worthless given how the phys system changed in the multicore update making every single old warship crack in half consistently with just a ibeam projectile.  Still, i was very happy with this when i made it since it was competively armored, had decent punch with its guns, and wasnt too bad with range (albeit that was a weakness since it was alot of armor panels atop armor panels).  It doesnt look right at all with restock, but its the 2nd warship i made in KSP, and the first genuinely good one...

sABiafr.png

And i cant forget the torpedoes this thing had, those iconic triple wheel torps that tore the largest warships apart despote weighing like 1 ton each!  Inspired by drills with the 3 cutter design, they looked fierce and worked well, sadly, like most of my nostalgic stuff in KSP, they died with the multicore update which made them (and pretty much any other design based on the concept of wheels are warheads) completely irrelevant, but hey, we adapt and change, and make new weapons to destroy ships...

Unstable rotation of an object that was rotated around a non-primary intermediate axis. AKA: The t-handle experiment. 

Edit: Of course I didn't see it for the first time ever in KSP, but the first time I saw it happen in KSP I was positively giddy. 

Edited by Cydonian Monk

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.