[1.9.1-1.10.1] Kiwi Tech Tree Overhaul 1.3.0 (17 December 2020)

hemeac

Next Round  

229 members have voted

1. 1. Next Round

• Bluedog Design Bureau
    • reDirect/Habtech 2/Shuttle Orbiter Construction Kit
    • B9/B9 Legacy
    • Explore Custom Contracts (possibly JNSQ scale?)
    • Something Else (Leave Comment)

Just started playing with this mod for the first time. Im loving the slow start! :P. Are there any plans to have an Inline probe core early in the tech tree? I want my soundrockets to look like them but its hard doing it with a stayputnik, since you cant atatch a nosecone to it, and it looks too bulky with a small fairing.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:06 AM, Zelda said:

I got them together on CKAN but I'll give installing from the GitHub release directly a try, thanks!

I should note that it seems like none of the tank options are showing up for me. I unlocked the lighter 0.625M tanks and purchased the upgrade, but I don't see an option to use them anywhere. Other upgrades (like battery density, solar panel efficiency) work. I have a pretty extensive mod list but I thought I'd removed anything that might conflict with tank switching (i.e., ModularFuelTanks). Maybe I have something else going on in general with tanks.

Installing CryoEngines / CryoTanks directly from GitHub didn't work. I tried reducing my mod count in half without luck as well.

Since I'm starting to suspect I have a problem with tanks in general, what is the expected behavior when using tank upgrades? Should it be similar to batteries or solar panels where you can select which "version" of the part to use? Also, should CryoTanks work the same as without KTT installed, meaning having the option to put any tank into Cryogenic mode and being able to select the proper fuel mixture when an engine is attached? 

Edit: I think I figured out the problem. I forgot I had Procedural Parts installed, since I had pruned most of them out with Janitor's Closet. Once I uninstalled that, I now have the tank options.

Edited by Zelda
Figured out my issue

There are a few misplaced parts in the tech tree when using restock+. The  SP3-Mandarin and MK2 Acorn command modules are in the advances flight control nodes instead of the Comand module node. Is there a way to change that in the settings?

Spoiler

error-Kiwi-techtree.jpg

Edited by SiCaRiO31

It appears this happens when using ReStock+ when you don't have the Missing History DLC.

The following patches should fix it, but It's hard for me to test b/c I have Missing History.

@PART[restock-mk2-pod]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // MK2 'Acorn' Command Pod
{
	@TechRequired = commandModules
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-3]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-3 'Mandarin' Reentry Module
{
	@TechRequired = heavyCommandModulesExtensions
}

Ok Im going to test this. There may be more parts missplaced but I only notice those 2, plus the SP-1 (which is still in the starting node). How can I test that patch? where should I add those commands?

EDIT: OK, I decided to add theese commands at the end of the following file: KiwiTechTree\Configurations\Mods\RestockPlus\RestockPlus.cgf

@PART[restock-mk2-pod]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // MK2 'Acorn' Command Pod
{
	@entryCost = 7500
	@cost = 2850
	@maxTemp = 2400
	@RESOURCE[ElectricCharge]
	{
		@amount = 150
		@maxAmount = 150
	}

MODULE // Add the ability to control probes with two pilots, was thinking of having this as an upgrade, but too much of a hassle 
	{
		name = ModuleProbeControlPoint
		minimumCrew = 2
		multiHop = False
	}

commandUpgradeType = standard
	commandUpgradeName = mk2PodUpgrade
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-3]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-3 'Mandarin' Reentry Module
{
	@TechRequired = advancedReentryModule
	@entryCost = 7850
	@cost = 3000

commandUpgradeName = mk3PodUpgrade
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-2]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-2 'Tangerine' Reentry Module
{
	@TechRequired = reentryModule
		@entryCost = 6450
	@cost = 2000
	commandUpgradeName = mk2PodUpgrade
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-1]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-1 'Clementine' Reentry Module
{
	@TechRequired = basicReentryModule
	@entryCost = 5250
	@cost = 1250

commandUpgradeName = mk1PodUpgrade
}

All the values and upgrades are the ones configurated for the pods in the Making History DLC (found on KiwiTechTree\Configurations\Core\MakingHisotry.cgf ).

However, I got into a problem with the SP-1 Entry pod. Now I have 2 of them, one at the start node (making the uncrewed start part of the tech tree void :P) and one at the basic re-entry module. Anyone know how to solve this?

Edited by SiCaRiO31

OK Try these,

{
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-1]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-1 'Clementine' Reentry Module
{
}
@PART[restock-pod-sphere-2]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus] // SP-2 'Tangerine' Reentry Module
{
}
{
}

And its best if you put all four patches into a single text file and call it something like zzzMyMMPatches.cfg (It can be called anything unique as long as it has the .cfg extension).

Then make sure the new text file is located somewhere in /GameData/

Personally I keep my personal patches in /GameData/zzzMyPatches/zzzMyMMPatches.cfg

The patch needs to be kept separate from the mods or else it will be deleted whenever the mod is updated and the "zzz" prefix is to help make sure the patch is run near the end, (alphabetical) meaning other mods won't undo the patch afterwards.

Examining all four patches should demonstrate the pattern needed to create you own patches for any additional parts you find are in the wrong place. Simply replace "restock-pod-sphere-1" with the part name and "simpleCommandModulesExtensions" with the tech node name in which you want it to appear.

For example, if you wanted to move the "RC-M001 Remote Guidance Unit" you would get its name, "restock-drone-core-1875-1" (various methods to obtain, but easiest is to look in /GameData/RestockPlus/Parts/Command/1875/restock-drone-core-1875-1.cfg and get it from the name field) and place it in the PART section, and then get the tech node name (I've found /GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Core/Template.txt to be the best source of KTT tech node names) and place it in TechRequired. So you would end with something similar to 

@PART[restock-drone-core-1875-1]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus]
{
	@TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

Edited by Coyote21

3 hours ago, Coyote21 said:

OK Try these,

{
}
{
}
{
}
{
}

And its best if you put all four patches into a single text file and call it something like zzzMyMMPatches.cfg (It can be called anything unique as long as it has the .cfg extension).

Then make sure the new text file is located somewhere in /GameData/

Personally I keep my personal patches in /GameData/zzzMyPatches/zzzMyMMPatches.cfg

The patch needs to be kept separate from the mods or else it will be deleted whenever the mod is updated and the "zzz" prefix is to help make sure the patch is run near the end, (alphabetical) meaning other mods won't undo the patch afterwards.

Examining all four patches should demonstrate the pattern needed to create you own patches for any additional parts you find are in the wrong place. Simply replace "restock-pod-sphere-1" with the part name and "simpleCommandModulesExtensions" with the tech node name in which you want it to appear.

For example, if you wanted to move the "RC-M001 Remote Guidance Unit" you would get its name, "restock-drone-core-1875-1" (various methods to obtain, but easiest is to look in /GameData/RestockPlus/Parts/Command/1875/restock-drone-core-1875-1.cfg and get it from the name field) and place it in the PART section, and then get the tech node name (I've found /GameData/KiwiTechTree/Configurations/Core/Template.txt to be the best source of KTT tech node names) and place it in TechRequired. So you would end with something similar to 

@PART[restock-drone-core-1875-1]:NEEDS[!SquadExpansion/MakingHistory]:After[ReStockPlus]
{
	@TechRequired = advUnmanned
}

Thank you! I moved the patch to a different folder and executed it from there, but the issue continues: I still have 2 SP-1 pods, one at the starting node, and one at the basic re-entry node. HOWEVER, starting a new save fixes the issue, with the SP-1 pod in just the basic re-entry node and not at the start of the game. Seems like I cant mod the parts that are in a node already researched. 

I guess im gonna start a new game anyways, since im not very far from the beggining, and need to check if all the parts from restock are in the right place. Would this affect only the parts that making history replaces from Restock if its installed?

So, I just realized that my probes have complete SAS control, even when I havent brought any of the Upgrades yer.

Spoiler

20210425200527-1.jpg

SAS level 1 is unlocked but not brought

Spoiler

20210425200640-1.jpg

Yet my probe can maneuver to all the nodes.

Spoiler

20210425200936-1.jpg

The probe I unlocked

In addition to this, it seems I have all sizes of HDs unlocked from the beginning (from Kerbalism), since I could select 16MB in my Stayputnick  before unlocking any node. Is this intended or I have something wrong with my settings?

Edited by SiCaRiO31

3 hours ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

So, I just realized that my probes have complete SAS control, even when I havent brought any of the Upgrades yer.

Reveal hidden contents

20210425200527-1.jpg

SAS level 1 is unlocked but not brought

Reveal hidden contents

20210425200640-1.jpg

Yet my probe can maneuver to all the nodes.

Reveal hidden contents

20210425200936-1.jpg

The probe I unlocked

In addition to this, it seems I have all sizes of HDs unlocked from the beginning (from Kerbalism), since I could select 16MB in my Stayputnick  before unlocking any node. Is this intended or I have something wrong with my settings?

That may have been a difficulty setting with all probes having full SAS or all upgrades applied?

13 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

That may have been a difficulty setting with all probes having full SAS or all upgrades applied?

I thought so at first, but I still need to unlock energy density for all my batteries, so if it is a difficulty setting, it does not affect energy density unlocks.

The only thing that kinda looks like having anything to do with upgrades in is this option:

Spoiler

20210426162440-1.jpg

In my save it is on, should it be off?

Edited by SiCaRiO31

I just wanted to pop in and give a quick update and apologize for ignoring the recent posts with some questions.  Some new work and life obligations (good) have come up in the last couple of months and have been keeping me busy.  The next month and a bit will be particularly busy, so there definitely will not be any new development on this until then.  Given the time since I've last worked on this, I'm more than happy if someone wants to use some/all of the ideas in this tech tree and adapt it for their own tech tree.  Just shoot me a pm here if you want as that gets forwarded to my e-mail.  Hoping that I will have some more time over the Australian winter, but can't promise at this point.

On 4/26/2021 at 4:29 PM, SiCaRiO31 said:

I thought so at first, but I still need to unlock energy density for all my batteries, so if it is a difficulty setting, it does not affect energy density unlocks.

The only thing that kinda looks like having anything to do with upgrades in is this option:

Reveal hidden contents

20210426162440-1.jpg

In my save it is on, should it be off?

Ok, I did a clean install with just KTT and Kerbalism,  with a new carreer mode save, dificulty hard (not custom). I still have SAS on my first probe with no nodes unlocked, and on the VAB I could select the size of the HD for the probe (up to 16MB). Im on 1.11.2, maybe something broke since 1.10.1?

1 hour ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

Ok, I did a clean install with just KTT and Kerbalism,  with a new carreer mode save, dificulty hard (not custom). I still have SAS on my first probe with no nodes unlocked, and on the VAB I could select the size of the HD for the probe (up to 16MB). Im on 1.11.2, maybe something broke since 1.10.1?

Or just something needs a better patch...  

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier (before you did the whole reinstall!) but I didn't know what that screen looked like in English to answer yes or no on your settings! :D

I'm about to start a career game using this tech tree, so hopefully any similar issues I find can be pinpointed and fixed.

On 4/27/2021 at 4:31 AM, hemeac said:

I just wanted to pop in and give a quick update and apologize for ignoring the recent posts with some questions.  Some new work and life obligations (good) have come up in the last couple of months and have been keeping me busy.  The next month and a bit will be particularly busy, so there definitely will not be any new development on this until then.  Given the time since I've last worked on this, I'm more than happy if someone wants to use some/all of the ideas in this tech tree and adapt it for their own tech tree.  Just shoot me a pm here if you want as that gets forwarded to my e-mail.  Hoping that I will have some more time over the Australian winter, but can't promise at this point.

Totally get that. Sometimes projects take well-deserved breaks. :)  I look forward to any further work you put in on this. It's really so much more than a simple tech tree.

And on a similar note, thank you to @Coyote21 for all your shared patches and such. I'm going to be taking advantage of many/most of them, for sure. 

22 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

Or just something needs a better patch...  

Sorry I wasn't able to respond earlier (before you did the whole reinstall!) but I didn't know what that screen looked like in English to answer yes or no on your settings! :D

I'm about to start a career game using this tech tree, so hopefully any similar issues I find can be pinpointed and fixed.

Yeah, I chenged my game to english with this re-install, its just better for support and mods in general :P. Thanks for looking into it! Its my first time really getting into a carrer mode save with mods and delving  into how the code works ( thanks to @Coyote21 too, I have a few of your patches already :D).

On 4/27/2021 at 1:31 PM, hemeac said:

Man your tech tree is amazing!, I was looking for something like this since UBM and finally found it. Take good care, and enjoy life :)

12 hours ago, Sadaell said:

@SiCaRiO31,  There's no bug with HDD upgrade, 16Mb on stayputnik is just 0 level. After all upgrades it get up to 16Gb,  which is a bit overkill. Maybe it should be nerfed?

you are absolutly right. I just tested it and it changes the size of the options I had (from 4-16 mb to 128-512 with 1 or 22 upgrades). I got confused by the options I had at the start of my career, I trough it was supppose to have only 4 mb available at the beginning.

However, the SAS controls are present from the beginning without any upgrades applied. 

Is it possible to extend the existing Probe upgrade framework to automatically add a kOS processor module? Basically, I am wanting to make the second upgrade (SAS Level 2) add a kOSProcessor module to all probe cores from that point forward. 

On 5/7/2021 at 4:54 PM, SiCaRiO31 said:

However, the SAS controls are present from the beginning without any upgrades applied. 

Same. I took a quick look, but couldn't find a problem. In ModuleManager's cache and save files parts has their upgrades, but for some reason ignore them

1 hour ago, SiCaRiO31 said:

This RA-1 relay antenna seems a little overpriced compared with the stock HG-5 High Gain Antenna (given the that the later has double the range for 1/3 the cost :P, and at the same tech node!). 

20210511004715-1.jpg

20210511004717-1.jpg

That may not be the fault of the tech tree, but it's something it could certainly address. :D

12 hours ago, Beetlecat said:

That may not be the fault of the tech tree, but it's something it could certainly address. :D

Well, there IS a comand that changes the power of the stock antenna in \KiwiTechTree\Configurations\Core, altrough im not sure if it is a bost or a nerft :P

// Tier 3 - basicScience
@PART[HighGainAntenna5] // hg-5
{
	@TechRequired = basicScience
	@MODULE[ModuleDataTransmitter]
	{
		@antennaPower = 5000000
	}
}

• 2 weeks later...

Just found a bug on the placement of the Communotron HG-61 high gain antenna, from Restock. In the code its placed in the earlyprobes nodes, but it should be in HighGainComunications acording to the coments

// Tier 6 - highGainCommunications
@PART[restock-antenna-stack-3]:After[ReStockPlus] // Communotron HG-61
{
	@TechRequired = earlyProbes
}

Wrote a patch to fix this.

// Tier 6 - highGainCommunications
@PART[restock-antenna-stack-3]:NEEDS[ReStockPlus]:After[KiwiTechTree] // Communotron HG-61, corrigiendo error
{
	@TechRequired = highGainCommunications
}

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.