KSP Loading... Preview: Vall revamp

St4rdust

bof ,  it's better here  

5i50mqa1npu51.png?width=2500&format=png&

thread of the month october . that's an update !! there are good things to integrate in ksp adds-on forum .

but thank for next update anyway :cool:.  I'm ready to install it, lot of space in the hard drive..........

40 minutes ago, SingABrightSong said:

There is no sound in *vacuum*. Even the bodies without atmosphere seems to commonly have dust sublimating off the surface, so depending on density that could be able to conduct sound.

we are getting off topic but ok

4 hours ago, stephm said:

bof ,  it's better here  

100% agreeable. I find it confusing how one person can make better graphics than a whole team. Maybe it's  just because of keeping the game accessible to most. But it's worth the question.

Of course I am not trying to be mean to squad. I can't judge what the situations are.

18 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

100% agreeable. I find it confusing how one person can make better graphics than a whole team. Maybe it's  just because of keeping the game accessible to most. But it's worth the question.

Of course I am not trying to be mean to squad. I can't judge what the situations are.

I feel like SQUAD is just trying to make the base game relatively good-looking on its own, so that people that can't or don't want to use mods are at least visually satisfied. Then modders can build on that and make it even better if they want.

I don't think these visual revamps they're doing are meant to compete with any of the almost-photorealistic visual mods people are making (like Parallax). They're just ensuring that the game doesn't need mods to look nice.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

2 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

I feel like SQUAD is just trying to make the base game relatively good-looking on its own, so that people that can't or don't want to use mods are at least visually satisfied. Then modders can build on that and make it even better if they want.

I don't think these visual revamps they're doing are meant to compete with any of the almost-photorealistic visual mods people are making (like Parallax). They're just ensuring that the game doesn't need mods to look nice.

probably, I was confused with the time amount it took, but maybe they have to manually update every place and it's terrain.

6 minutes ago, The Doodling Astronaut said:

probably, I was confused with the time amount it took, but maybe they have to manually update every place and it's terrain.

I think they're just taking their time. They want to provide regular updates, but they only have so many parts and celestial bodies they can revamp, so they spread them out over several releases. Besides, SQUAD can't spend all of their time retexturing things - they have to fix bugs and add new features in every update. Meanwhile, a modder can spend however long they want making pretty textures.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

Just now, RealKerbal3x said:

I think they're just taking their time. They want to provide regular updates, but they only have so many parts and celestial bodies they can revamp, so they spread them out over several releases. Besides, SQUAD can't spend all of their time retexturing things - they have to fix bugs and add new features in every update. A modder can spend however long they want making pretty textures.

Point proven

Oh my Goodiness. Vall has never looked so good! well, except in Matt Lowne's movies. Keep up the good work!

Also, I need a ticket for the HYPE train. some kerbal by the name Jebidiah Kerman snatched it out of my pocket and ran away. i hope someone can post a picture of the ticket... :/

On 10/27/2020 at 5:42 PM, MechBFP said:

Looks good, however that mipmapping going on while zooming in is extremely noticeable.

Is that what this texture-morphing-into-another-texture effect is called?  I first saw it on the Mun revamp, and its completely disorienting and distracting but didn't know how best to describe it to bring up its shortcomings.  On the Mun textures, you'll see big boulders below you as you descend that eventually fade away to something totally different.  Really makes aiming for a nice landing spot disorienting and immersion breaking when whats below you changes visually 4 times as you near it. 

It also feels like it presents textures as perpetually hi res, which also makes it disorienting for me.  50,000m altitude and the ground below you looks as hi res as if you were standing on it.  Its a very strange feeling that I've had since they've started these revamps.

47 minutes ago, klesh said:

Is that what this texture-morphing-into-another-texture effect is called?  I first saw it on the Mun revamp, and its completely disorienting and distracting but didn't know how best to describe it to bring up its shortcomings.  On the Mun textures, you'll see big boulders below you as you descend that eventually fade away to something totally different.  Really makes aiming for a nice landing spot disorienting and immersion breaking when whats below you changes visually 4 times as you near it. 

It also feels like it presents textures as perpetually hi res, which also makes it disorienting for me.  50,000m altitude and the ground below you looks as hi res as if you were standing on it.  Its a very strange feeling that I've had since they've started these revamps.

Well anyways, i think its pretty damn awesome! good job!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/28/2020 at 4:25 AM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

there is no sound in space

If you are walking on the surface, with direct contact with the surface, you should hear the rumblings from the ground. Sound needs a physical medium to be transmitted, and direct contact provides that. It would be muffled, but it would be there.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.