Escape from Kerbol!

32 minutes ago, Pds314 said:

Well in principle Kerbin and Eve assists could do it I think.

Sure, if you use enough of them. And in any case, it's well known that you can use Kerbin and Eve assists to get to Jool, which will then let you escape Kerbol.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you can get from Kerbin to a Mun encounter, the rest of the trip can be done with arbitrarily low delta-v if you just have enough patience and fine control. Basically, you'd use a Mun gravity assist to get out of Kerbin's SOI, then repeated assists from Kerbin and/or the Mun to get to Eve, then Eve and Kerbin assists to get to Jool, and then a single Jool assist should be enough to reach escape velocity. It's going to take a while, though.

I wonder if there could be an interesting optimization challenge here. Maybe something like minimizing launch cost multiplied by the time to reach some given distance from Kerbol?

Hey all.

The following picture is from a time I broke the game.

My probe kinda was propelled at something like warp 3.

Np3il2Y.png

When you get far enough with enough speed the game won't show an orbit anymore but it is still in the SOI of Kerbol.

It shows where you came from and doesn't seems able to predict where you will be anymore.

The Nav ball still shows your attitude relative to kerbol and your "Altitude" is still referencing Kerbol.

There are no other stars. There is no Galactic SOI to enter.

ME

PS just noticed that @TR_HyDra is new. Welcome to the forum.......And Hail I guess.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

3 hours ago, TR_HyDra said:

You cannot really exit the Kerbolar System, It's SOI is inifnite. Though theres a point where your trajectory shows itself going backwards. Im not sure but I think its pretty much impossible to escape the system

No. It's definitely possible to escape in the sense that you will never fall back. All you need to do is reach the local escape velocity.

4 hours ago, vyznev said:

Sure, if you use enough of them. And in any case, it's well known that you can use Kerbin and Eve assists to get to Jool, which will then let you escape Kerbol.

In fact, I'm pretty sure that if you can get from Kerbin to a Mun encounter, the rest of the trip can be done with arbitrarily low delta-v if you just have enough patience and fine control. Basically, you'd use a Mun gravity assist to get out of Kerbin's SOI, then repeated assists from Kerbin and/or the Mun to get to Eve, then Eve and Kerbin assists to get to Jool, and then a single Jool assist should be enough to reach escape velocity. It's going to take a while, though.

I wonder if there could be an interesting optimization challenge here. Maybe something like minimizing launch cost multiplied by the time to reach some given distance from Kerbol?

That would be an interesting challenge but I suspect the result would not be to use maximum gravity assists but a mix of cost reduction techniques and gravity assists.

On 10/28/2020 at 1:12 PM, Bej Kerman said:

You underestimate how easy it is to escape Kerbol

I kno, its for noobs

when I launched a sat from sun and exited kernel:D

On 10/30/2020 at 11:28 PM, Martian Emigrant said:

Hey all.

The following picture is from a time I broke the game.

My probe kinda was propelled at something like warp 3.

Np3il2Y.png

When you get far enough with enough speed the game won't show an orbit anymore but it is still in the SOI of Kerbol.

It shows where you came from and doesn't seems able to predict where you will be anymore.

The Nav ball still shows your attitude relative to kerbol and your "Altitude" is still referencing Kerbol.

There are no other stars. There is no Galactic SOI to enter.

ME

PS just noticed that @TR_HyDra is new. Welcome to the forum.......And Hail I guess.

its like a nicer kraken, I've encountered that too!

I think the record for lowest dV from LKO to EVE is 873 m/s using many Kerbin-Mun assists. Theoretical minimum is 840 m/s because that's the minimum you need to escape from Kerbin. And if you can get to Eve you can bounce between Kerbin and Eve until you escape Kerbol, for practically no delta-v cost at all. I bet escaping Kerbol using less than 900 m/s is possible.

if you want to get the hell out of the Kerbolar System, follow this tutorial:

Ingredients:

1. a legal KSP install
  2. a Core Stage Booster.
  3. A Upper stage Booster.
  4. Another Booster.
  5. MOOOODSDSD.

Optional Ingredients:

1. MOAR BOOSTERSADSDAS DWAAS SA.
  2. more stages.

step 1.

Install ksp,and blah blah blah pay the FBI a couple of... mony.

step 1.25.

uninstall Orbiter Spavce simulator because idk.

step 1.5.

doubledouble click KSP_x64 or x86 or wathev the exe name is.

step 1.75.

wait trillions of years for ksp to load.

step 2.

Design your rocket with your damn imagination.

in case you ddon't have imagination(like me),copy one of the following rockets:

N1 1M1 mockup on the launch pad at the Baikonur Cosmodrome in late 1967.jpgApollo 11 Launch - GPN-2000-000630.jpgTitan4B on Launch Complex 40.jpg152px-NewHorizons_Rocket_Bly.jpg

and now the final step:

launch that Rocket you've builded in the VAB, fire dah engines,once you have reached into spavce,fire again the upper stage you've designed,blah blah blah,do orbital maneuvering,and once your spacecraft has encountered the Mün,make sure you're not into a impact trayectory on the Mün,modify your "Sub-Orbital" Trayectory into a "Orbital" Flyby Trayectory.

it should look like this(ignore these damn Joolian moons of the gif picture):

220px-Animation_of_Pioneer_11_trajectory

fire your another Innertial Upperian booster once you have reached the periapsis(ergo,the most closest aproach point) of the Mün.

blah blah blah,do wathev stuff on InterKerbollar spapcve.

the end.:wink:

now, if you will,i'll bury myself on the Kremlin wall Necropolis forever,bye.:lol:

waht kind of abominability and disgusting tutorial i've made...

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/2/2020 at 8:44 AM, Bej Kerman said:

The epitome of being a newbie is accidentally making a rocket powerful enough to escape Kerbol ;)

Yeah in fact I would say it's basically a viable noob challenge to AVOID that

"go to Minmus/Mun/Gilly/Ike/wherever in a rocket that's physically incapable of directly burning to Kerbol escape from LKO."

I would say Duna as well but I'm honestly not sure that's actually possible.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.