[1.8.x, 1.9.x, 1.10.x, 1.11.x, 1.12.x] 4kSP Expanded

linuxgurugamer

Originally written by @tom300z, original thread is here: https://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/index.php?/topic/188213-17x-4ksp-scaled-map-icons-and-text/

I needed to have an alternate size from the stock UI_SCALE, so I've taken this and expanded it by adding a window to dynamically scale the map icons and text.

rf7YPdg.jpg

There is a new button when in flight scene: ORofiqJ.png

Clicking it will open the following window in which you can adjust the sizes while on the map screen.:

EEhimaT.png

Availability

Available via CKAN

Dependencies

Edited by linuxgurugamer

On 10/29/2020 at 3:47 PM, woeller said:

And it wasn't possible to add this to the Stock UI settings (ESC menu) and do without dependencies?

It actually is on the stock settings page, but without a window it would be not be possible to dynamically adjust the sizes.

• 1 month later...

Would be nice if this could go up to e.g. 250% scale.  Even with the game running at 1080p and scaled up to 200% by Windows, I still have trouble reading some things.

Also, there are some things this still doesn't affect, like the flight info from KER at the top of the screen.

• 5 months later...
  • 8 months later...
1 hour ago, schlosrat said:

AVC is reporting that there's a 0.2.1.7 version out there, but I can't find it.

Is 0.2.1.6 still the latest? If so, why would AVC be reporting there's a newer version.

The only change is the version file, 0.2.1.6 is the latest

I'm updating that locally, next time you start, it should be ok

Are there dependancies for this mod I should be aware of? When I've got it installed I can't find the button on the stock tool bar or on Blizzy's. I can configure Blizzy's to show it (there's a checkbox for it), but no icon appears. This is in Flight Mode.

Also, this appears to be breaking MechJeb some how in that I can't get the MechJeb window to come up when this is installed. Hopefully that symptom is related to not being able to get the button to appear.

Looking in my ksp.log (searching for '4k') I see these relevant entries:

[LOG 02:08:16.290] Load(Assembly): 4kSP/Plugins/4kSPExpanded
[LOG 02:08:16.290] AssemblyLoader: Loading assembly at /Applications/KSP_osx 1.12.3/GameData/4kSP/Plugins/4kSPExpanded.dll
4kSPExpanded v0.2.1.6
4kSP
[LOG 02:08:17.011] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'Startup' from assembly '4kSPExpanded'
[LOG 02:08:27.841] [4kSP] Version 4kSPExpanded, Version=0.2.1.6, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null
  4kSPExpanded                            0.2.1.6                  0.2.1.6                                           a89d756e30a9895394481a91f89dadaf473f117b37a3a5127eed147978f33062
  4kSP
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :BEFORE[4KSP] pass
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :FOR[4KSP] pass
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :AFTER[4KSP] pass
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :BEFORE[4KSPEXPANDED] pass
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :FOR[4KSPEXPANDED] pass
[LOG 02:08:41.626] :AFTER[4KSPEXPANDED] pass
[LOG 02:14:58.760] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'InstallChecker' from assembly '4kSPExpanded'
[LOG 02:14:58.761] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'RegisterToolbar2' from assembly '4kSPExpanded'
[LOG 02:15:00.245] [GameParameters]: Loaded custom parameter class _4kSP.
[LOG 11:18:04.454] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'FourkSP_TrackingStation' from assembly '4kSPExpanded'
[LOG 11:18:23.256] [AddonLoader]: Instantiating addon 'FourkSP_FlightL' from assembly '4kSPExpanded'

Do I have two conflicting versions of 4ksp trying to run? Why are there both 4KSP and 4KSPEXPANDED? Is that normal?

Edited by schlosrat

4 hours ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Would need to see the entire log file

FYI, I'm see this problem with only Mechjeb, MechJebForAll, and 4kSP installed in a 1.12.3 game.

Here's a log from a test where I was unable to get MechJeb to display while in the VAB. If I remove 4ksp that problem goes away. With it installed in Game Data I not only do not see a 4ksp button, I also can't access any MechJeb functionality.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/63j9bzd4rhmxzqy/KSP.log?dl=0

20 minutes ago, schlosrat said:

FYI, I'm see this problem with only Mechjeb, MechJebForAll, and 4kSP installed in a 1.12.3 game.

Here's a log from a test where I was unable to get MechJeb to display while in the VAB. If I remove 4ksp that problem goes away. With it installed in Game Data I not only do not see a 4ksp button, I also can't access any MechJeb functionality.

OK you can disregard that log. It appears that 4ksp needs ToolbarControl, which in turn needs ClickThroughBlocker. Adding those two to the list of mods installed I can now get to MechJeb in a flight scene (pobably in the VAB/SPH too thought I didn't check). However, there's still no button visible for 4ksp and no apparent way for me to change the scale of text. I've got the UI scaling set to 190% and this has no impact on text scaling, so other than MechJeb (which offers it's own UI scaling) text is nearly unreadable on my laptop.

Here's the much smaller log for a test game with Mechjeb, MechJebForAll, 4kSP, ToolbarControl, and ClickThroughBlocker installed.

More info. Tried again with Blizzy's Toolbar installed and found I can get to the 4ksp button in the Tracking Station - meaning I can configure ToolbarControl to have 4ksp in both stock and Blizzy's, and then configure Blizzy's to include 4ksp, resulting in the 4ksp icon being visible in the tracking center. However when I am at the launch pad with a craft and I tell Blizzy's to include 4ksp I don't get the 4ksp button then. The 4ksp button is apparently not available in the VAB at all. At no time does the 4ksp button show up on the stock toolbar no matter where I am what I do with ToolbarControl and/or Blizzy's.

One thing I found disappointing is that while I can get to it in the tracking center and can choose between using the UI scaling for the game vs. scaling via the 4ksp button controls, it has no impact on the tiny text of other mods - just on the text flight scene.

Don't get me wrong, it's nice to have the effect it does have - but what I was really looking for was a way to get the tiny text of other mods to be human readable without needing a magnifying glass. Case in point, I'd really like to be using KSP R&D for my endgame use of science, but that mod brings up a microscopic dialog box in the VAB where you can apply science points to improve various parts. Dang, it would be nice to be able to see what I'm doing...

Bummer. Maybe in a future version of the mod it will affect the scaling of things displayed by other mods?

28 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

Sorry, not going to happen, at least by me

No worries. I misunderstood the purpose of the mod to be something larger than it is. I think it's great that it does what it does, but to be honest the problem is really a KSP problem. I frankly think the scaling of fonts and other UI things should be a basic capability of the game and not left to modes to try to fix here and there. We've had higher resolution monitors for years now - this is not a new thing, and the stock capabilities to scale the UI fall far short of what's needed.

Of course, at this point we're done seeing updates to KSP unless maybe someday KSP 2.0 should arrive - and even then I'm screwed since I play on Mac and 2.0 isn't going to come out for OSX.

Thanks for all you have done! Seriously. Much appreciated.

@schlosrat You can also use Windows' own DPI scaling to increase the game UI entirely. Just google it. I have a 32" 4k monitor and have my DPI scaling set to 150%. For each application or game, I can choose (in the app settings via Windows) if I want to use the Windows DPI scaling or no scaling (i.e. 100%). It's far from ideal, but it's better than nothing.

On 3/22/2022 at 5:53 AM, caipi said:

@schlosrat You can also use Windows' own DPI scaling to increase the game UI entirely. Just google it. I have a 32" 4k monitor and have my DPI scaling set to 150%. For each application or game, I can choose (in the app settings via Windows) if I want to use the Windows DPI scaling or no scaling (i.e. 100%). It's far from ideal, but it's better than nothing.

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

I've found that on a Mac this can be done via System Preferences > Displays> Resolution: Scaled (the default is Resolution: Default for Display). Setting resolution to Scaled, and selecting the second largest option (has the effect of making the resolution similar to 1312 x 848), and then configuring KSP's UI Scale to 140% and graphics to 2336 x 1510 seems to work OK.

The downside, and there definitely is one, is that I'm basically throwing away a great deal of the native screen resolution capability of my 2021 MBP just to get a readable font. This is a shameful way to bandaid the problem, but yes - it does get me to a point where fonts are readable. The real solution should be a native thing to KSP where UI scale correctly affects font as well as buttons, icons, etc.

Edited by schlosrat

2 hours ago, schlosrat said:

Interesting. Thanks for the tip!

I've found that on a Mac this can be done via System Preferences > Displays> Resolution: Scaled (the default is Resolution: Default for Display). Setting resolution to Scaled, and selecting the second largest option (has the effect of making the resolution similar to 1312 x 848), and then configuring KSP's UI Scale to 140% and graphics to 2336 x 1510 seems to work OK.

The downside, and there definitely is one, is that I'm basically throwing away a great deal of the native screen resolution capability of my 2021 MBP just to get a readable font. This is a shameful way to bandaid the problem, but yes - it does get me to a point where fonts are readable. The real solution should be a native thing to KSP where UI scale correctly affects font as well as buttons, icons, etc.

Don't forget, KSP was made back when the normal max was 1920x1024.  No one expected at that time for things to get as large as they have

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.