KSP Loading...Preview: New Lights!

St4rdust

Now this is an excellent bit of news.  Great little details like lights really make your creations come alive. Glad to see them interfacing with the BG deployment tech too.

This is really good, Squad.  Thank you.

15 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Lights, camera, action! Be ready for new Light Parts & Light Changes in 1.11 update!
To help craft builders add more variety to their craft, we will add some new lights to the game. Now you can add more customization, especially in small crafts.

Image HQ

ksploading_lights_small.png

WOAH!!!!!

Can we get the landing lights at KSC fixed. they look like a saucer with a cup just with light.

16 hours ago, St4rdust said:

Lights, camera, action! Be ready for new Light Parts & Light Changes in 1.11 update!
To help craft builders add more variety to their craft, we will add some new lights to the game. Now you can add more customization, especially in small crafts.

Image HQ

ksploading_lights_small.png

WOAH!!! HOLY KS-25 ENGINE!!! THAT'S SOME AMAZING FEATURES!!! 

THE AMAZINGNESS IS BLINDING!!! quite literally- Just kidding...

3 hours ago, ManEatingApe said:

Nice, now we can add go faster stripes to all our rockets!

and make em' crash!

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

1. Do they turn in pumpkins every Halloween?

Reveal hidden contents

image.jpg

And red reindeer noses every Christmas, yes.

5 hours ago, kerbiloid said:

3. Can the lights power the solar arrays to get EC to power the lights?

3a. Can we use them as a low-thrust photon engine?

Only in the EDU version.

So, is there a release date for 1.11 yet?

With the current stock lights, you can change the color and see the effect, for example purple light, reflected off of surfaces, but the lights themselves always looked white. From the pictures, it looks as though the lights themselves will now show colour?  If so, I see neon signs on the sides of my planes.

8 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Oh wow, this was really unexpected but really cool! I can't wait to set up a few of these around my Mun base :D

What about powering them during the night, when solar power isn't available? Can we still link them up to a BG RTG if we want? Do they have some kind of small internal batteries?

They have large, efficient internal batteries, so that they can run for *very* long stretches without solar exposure:   That's why they clock in a little heavier than your average work lamp.

2 hours ago, Maxsimal said:

They have large, efficient internal batteries, so that they can run for *very* long stretches without solar exposure:   That's why they clock in a little heavier than your average work lamp.

I'm going to assume they have the same batteries as the internal lights of any cockpit/pod 

1 hour ago, TheSaint said:

They did last time. They announced in May that 1.10 would be released on July 1st, and then they released it on July 1st.

That was the exception rather than the rule. I suspect we got a release date on that one due to partnering with ESA, but I have no data to back that up. If we see a release date on this one, then I'll think the policy has changed.

In any event, I'm looking forward to it. Especially if the refueling bug gets fixed in the process ;)

1 hour ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

That's a kind of Toxic approach to things but i'll take your word

It's just based on experience. I've been around for 7 (I think) major releases and there's only a couple of times where they actually gave a release date.

12 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

It's just based on experience. I've been around for 7 (I think) major releases and there's only a couple of times where they actually gave a release date.

Well, I'm kinda beginning to prefer companies not publishing a release date until a product is actually ready to be released. Or else we might get situations like with Cyberpunk 2077 where we get half a dozen release dates that can't be met.

Edited by T1mo98

6 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

Not at all. It's a realistic approach to software development for the consumer market. Better to deliver a good product late than a broken product at all.

7 hours ago, DAFATRONALDO2007 IN SPACE said:

As @Jack Wolfe said, they (squad) prefer to not set dates. It has been this way since i came here in august 2013 and likely before that. As far as I remember the only date ever given was with the 1.10 version. Prior to that the best you could hope to see was “Soon”. The reason is as much as Jack said as it was to avoid failing to fulfill that promise and upset the community. I hope that between Jack Wolfe and myself that better explains the lack of release dates.

Well, ima gonna have to rebuild my old regulator class warship now that we have light strips...  Given that its a replica from tron sorta required to use light strips everywhere (and the old light strip mod i used to use from like 0.24 is long dead and doesnt work at all these days).

640?cb=20120303183432.png

While its not going to really affect gameplay (since KSP without dropping ambient light is way too bright to need any lights), i can see these things making asthetics so much better (and i can even envision the "industrial" lighting as perfect for the interior of starbases and shipyards (or at least the more industrial factions i make, AKS is using pure purple/blue light strips on everything).

Edited by panzer1b

Nice. 

Will the work lamps count towards the 'flight count'?  Or will they be treated as flags are, but without the 'name plate' option?  

And, will/can they show a 'label' at a distance in the same way as flags and other parts do?  Enabling them to be used as beacons.

4 hours ago, Cyne said:

Although this feels like something that should have been added versions ago and I'm still looking for performance improvements rather then new parts, great work!

Yeah, I'm guessing when I add 100 lights to a ship part count alone will make performance even worse. I'd much rather have performance enhancements. Almost every update is now just a rip off something that's existed in mods for years.

5 hours ago, Cyne said:

Although this feels like something that should have been added versions ago and I'm still looking for performance improvements rather then new parts, great work!

45 minutes ago, FractalSystems said:

Yeah, I'm guessing when I add 100 lights to a ship part count alone will make performance even worse. I'd much rather have performance enhancements. Almost every update is now just a rip off something that's existed in mods for years.

Notice the announcement says 'New Light Parts and Light Changes'. Presumably if they're intending for people to plaster their craft with these new lights, they're going to want to improve light performance so that putting 30 coloured dome lights all over your station doesn't slow the game to a crawl.

Also, I don't understand why people say that features in updates are simply rip-offs of existing mods. Some people can't (or don't want to) use mods, so bringing these features to stock allows more people to use them, albeit in an officially supported and in many cases more user-friendly form. They're making their own version, not stealing the mod and directly integrating it into the game.

Edited by RealKerbal3x

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.