KSP Loading...Preview: New Lights!

St4rdust

On 11/6/2020 at 12:35 PM, Vanamonde said:

KSP2 is being made by a different team from a different company. What one gives you has no relation to what the other gives you.

Isn’t that kind of the point? If squad is not developing KSP2, and they do not appear to have any new games coming down the pipeline, it seems like continued support (and perhaps more expansion/parts packs) would be the obvious road; this is especially true if they want to maintain revenue, because it’d be reasonable to expect us rabid fans of the game to buy the expansions without question.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:21 PM, MarsUltor said:

... not to sound like an ingrate or anything, but now that KSP2 has been officially delayed to 2022, I hope we get a little bit more than just “lights.”

Well, there are still the texture updates to more celestial bodies (thats nearly all of them now, no... what is left, Eeloo?)

I'm also happy about the RCS thruster block changes and the tiny size RCS.

Most of these lights, I don't really care about, but for some reason, I really like the kerbal deployed lights.

On 10/29/2020 at 11:14 PM, Maxsimal said:

Yes they're deployable like the BG parts.  The inventory system released with BG has always been part of the stock game code (in case modders wanted to use it), it was just not turned on in the UI because there weren't any stock parts that'd go in an inventory before.

But weren't the only parts to store inventory BG parts? How will you store these lights on a vessel if you don't have BG? 

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/SEQ-3_Cargo_Storage_Unit

https://wiki.kerbalspaceprogram.com/wiki/SEQ-9_Container_Module

On 11/10/2020 at 2:25 PM, MarsUltor said:

Isn’t that kind of the point? If squad is not developing KSP2, and they do not appear to have any new games coming down the pipeline, it seems like continued support (and perhaps more expansion/parts packs) would be the obvious road; this is especially true if they want to maintain revenue, because it’d be reasonable to expect us rabid fans of the game to buy the expansions without question.

If Squad goes SaaS, I’m blaming you. 

Feature request: Throttle binding for lights to adjust their luminosity together with engines!

Watched a Matt Lowne video of a Kraken drive SSTO today, he set some lights to the same toggle key as the drive function for effect to get that ridiculous contraption to look more "sci-fi credible" and setting aside everything else I thought it would be pretty cool to have the option of linking lights with throttle on regular crafts as well. Of course this is just a silly cosmetic thing but being able to throttle up a futuristic ship and having the rear look like some kind of giant ion drive while propulsion itself is only coming from a small part of it (maybe an aerospike surrounded by a glowing disc? maybe a flat ship with a long glowing strip ending in a real ion drive on each side?) would be a serious boost to the aesthetics of futuristic ships.

2 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Feature request: Throttle binding for lights to adjust their luminosity together with engines!

Watched a Matt Lowne video of a Kraken drive SSTO today, he set some lights to the same toggle key as the drive function for effect to get that ridiculous contraption to look more "sci-fi credible" and setting aside everything else I thought it would be pretty cool to have the option of linking lights with throttle on regular crafts as well. Of course this is just a silly cosmetic thing but being able to throttle up a futuristic ship and having the rear look like some kind of giant ion drive while propulsion itself is only coming from a small part of it (maybe an aerospike surrounded by a glowing disc? maybe a flat ship with a long glowing strip ending in a real ion drive on each side?) would be a serious boost to the aesthetics of futuristic ships.

I think that's already possible, as the rgb channels of the lights (which, by adjusting all the sliders, you can change the brightness of) technically count as axis controls. Correct me if I am wrong, but you should be able to map all of the values to the throttle and  have it work.

Another option would be to put the "toggle light" action to a KAL-controller, and map the controllers position to the throttle. That way the lights would toggle on when you throttle up, as the controller position "sweeps" over the toggle action, and toggle off when you throttle back down

On 12/5/2020 at 4:43 PM, Just a random person said:

I think that's already possible, as the rgb channels of the lights (which, by adjusting all the sliders, you can change the brightness of) technically count as axis controls. Correct me if I am wrong, but you should be able to map all of the values to the throttle and  have it work.

Another option would be to put the "toggle light" action to a KAL-controller, and map the controllers position to the throttle. That way the lights would toggle on when you throttle up, as the controller position "sweeps" over the toggle action, and toggle off when you throttle back down

Wow I had totally missed that it was possible to map luminosity per RGB channel already, thanks for the heads up on that! Unfortunately this can't be used to get nuanced color variants like bright blue since it's "all or nothing" per channel, I'd still very much like to be able to set the coloring and luminosity separately... or even better; define custom ranges for each value. This might be a bit much to ask for though, maybe it appears in some patch down the road if they run out of other things to improve. :/

Tried using a KAL to toggle the lights, after some messing around I got it to "sort of" work but it's very unreliable even by Kerbal standards, the KAL doesn't handle manual sliding very well and misbehaves quite a lot no matter how I try to set its parameters...

4 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Wow I had totally missed that it was possible to map luminosity per RGB channel already, thanks for the heads up on that! Unfortunately this can't be used to get nuanced color variants like bright blue since it's "all or nothing" per channel, I'd still very much like to be able to set the coloring and luminosity separately... or even better; define custom ranges for each value. This might be a bit much to ask for though, maybe it appears in some patch down the road if they run out of other things to improve. :/

Tried using a KAL to toggle the lights, after some messing around I got it to "sort of" work but it's very unreliable even by Kerbal standards, the KAL doesn't handle manual sliding very well and misbehaves quite a lot no matter how I try to set its parameters...

You could map each rgb channel to a KAL, and that KAL to the throttle. Then you could have each channel change independently, and even have cool combinations like, for example, green at lower throttle values and red at higher

5 hours ago, Rejected Spawn said:

Unfortunately this can't be used to get nuanced color variants like bright blue since it's "all or nothing" per channel,

Of course you can set light blue, it works in the same way like every pixel on your monitor :D
This is some light blue in RGB Decimal   red 173,  green 216,  blue 230. You might have to map these values to a 0-100 range depending on your usage of course.

But being able to set the lights based on an HSV color model would be much easier though, because trying to dim the RGB model means dragging all 3 sliders down proportionally to maintain the specific color.

Edited by Blaarkies

7 hours ago, Just a random person said:

You could map each rgb channel to a KAL, and that KAL to the throttle. Then you could have each channel change independently, and even have cool combinations like, for example, green at lower throttle values and red at higher

That's a really good idea, I kind of subconsciously keep doing almost anything to avoid using the KAL so I probably wouldn't have thought of that any time soon. While the KAL is capable of doing a lot of interesting things it really isn't very user friendly, the UI could stand to be vastly improved...

7 hours ago, Blaarkies said:

Of course you can set light blue, it works in the same way like every pixel on your monitor :D
This is some light blue in RGB Decimal   red 173,  green 216,  blue 230. You might have to map these values to a 0-100 range depending on your usage of course.

But being able to set the lights based on an HSV color model would be much easier though, because trying to dim the RGB model means dragging all 3 sliders down proportionally to maintain the specific color.

Yes yes I know how RGB works, I was coding websites in HTML around "Y2K" already. ;) What I meant was that you can't bind the throttle directly to a light and get a complex color combination because each value is set to exactly the throttle value and any unbound one stays where you left it in the VAB, unless going through the nightmare of setting up the KAL as a translator the moving values are locked side by side. Would be nice if the RGB stayed as is and the devs simply added a separate slider that multiplies all of them by 0 to 1, keeping in mind that the average player isn't actually super tech savvy even if we do happen to have a little bit more useful stuff above the shoulders than most since we're playing around in a game that requires a noticeable degree of thinking. Actually adding the separate multiplier would enable a light to change colors independently of changing its luminosity, would be a pretty neat thing to have for a KAL heavy craft with lots of visual effects. Though admittedly it would be a lot more fun if craft had any sensors instead of everything having to be a manual switch; just imagine if your sci-fi SSTO had some light strips that changed color depending on atmospheric density, or if a rover could sense wheel pressures and tilt to raise or lower wheels in order to get around safer on rugged terrain...

On 10/29/2020 at 4:33 PM, GuessingEveryDay said:

Or maybe an overhaul of aviation parts! The wings are pretty old.

*Research hours later*

Wow... They've been in the game since 0.15.  But I can't find when they changed the look.

If I remember right, they updated all the textures in 1.8

6 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Some of them, not all of them. They've been slowly redoing all of the part textures since 1.4. The wings haven't been touched yet.

Okay. They did quite a few in 1.8 and 1.9, so I wasn't entirely sure.

• 2 weeks later...

well, I am not one to usually complain, but I was really disappointed in the new lights,

just by how small they are. I was hoping to make some really cool crafts with these lights but it would be a pain to put a lot of these on it. But I mean, I guess it works for smaller crafts. But I was really hoping something more large scale for some cool space station designs. New lights for some reason was probably the most excited thing for me and well... I am disappointed.

I guess I am the minority that will be trying to use it for aesthetics on a space station scale and not for small spacecraft.

• 3 weeks later...

@RocketFire9 I recall seeing mention of such a bug somewhere related to 1.11 yesterday, but I can't seem to find it.  You might check the bug tracker to see if others have reported the issue.  I have not experienced the problem myself.

I can verify that I've seen solar panels which should start fully closed being instead partially open initially.

14 hours ago, RocketFire9 said:

I know this is technically not a glitch thread, but has anyone else had issues with landing gear lights being permanently stuck on? 

Confirmed. For me too. There is also an issue, with the lights not keeping color on launch. I guess, this minor issue will be solved soon :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.