Lewie

Question-

How exactly do heat sinks work? I made a boat powered by two medium engines. Each one is hooked up to a heat sink. Even with rps at 20, and throttle at 30% the engine temp easily reaches 112* and blows. I just used pipes to hook the heat sink up to the engines...what did I do wrong?

Edited by Lewie

It's my understanding that since they changed weather in 1.0, instead of everywhere being 5*C the ambient temp now varies, and it adds to the temp of the engines letting quite a few designs that used to work now overheat.  Also, you should probably gear it so you're turning a lower rps as that still determines your fuel burn, not the throttle setting, and will also help reduce the amount of heat generated.  My All-Terrain Rescue Vehicle (ATRV) runs a pair of medium diesels, each with a heat sink and usually stabilizes around 50-60*C.  Also,  at max speed, the engines are only turning around 10-12rps.  The only time I've had an overheating problem, it was due to accidentally deleting a pipe segment.   For boats I don't usually bother with radiators or heat sinks, I just route the coolant through fluid ports in the bottom of the hull so you have a continuous flow of fresh coolant in & all the hot out.   You shouldn't need pumps unless you are moving the fluids long distances (>10m IIRC)

ygK26KU.jpg

Edited by Cavscout74

1 hour ago, Cavscout74 said:

.For boats I don't usually bother with radiators or heat sinks, I just route the coolant through fluid ports in the bottom of the hull so you have a continuous flow of fresh coolant in & all the hot out.   You shouldn't need pumps unless you are moving the fluids long distances (>10m IIRC)

ygK26KU.jpg

And that’s what was wrong! I didn’t have any fluid ports hooked up....Thanks!

17 minutes ago, Lewie said:

And that’s what was wrong! I didn’t have any fluid ports hooked up....Thanks!

Glad I could help.  If I had a dollar for every silly little "oops" I've made in that game.....  I could at least pay off my car, maybe not quite my house yet though.  Gimme another month though.

My ATRV used to have an automatic fire suppression system for the engine compartment because I wrecked it once and caught the engine on fire, but the wreck also broke the buttons to activate the manual fire suppression system.  So i tested and confirmed that a burning engine heats up the surrounding area (an obvious assumption but still needed to test it), then I installed a temp probe in the engine compartment and a micro-controller to handle both the regular pump controls (for fighting fires with the water cannon) and the engine fire suppression system, with the temp being the trigger to activate.  All seemed to work great and I was pretty pleased with myself. 

Until fighting a forest fire and suddenly my water cannon pressure dropped in half.  Guess what?  The forest fire was hot enough to trigger the engine fire suppression, and killing my water cannon pressure and tripling my water usage.   I ended up fighting the rest of it with the hand-held fire extinguishers I had on board.  Now I'm back to a manual system, but the button is mounted on the divider between the crew & engine compartments, far from anything that could be hit in a collision

7zhZghPh.jpg

3 hours ago, Mikenike said:

Guns are on there way. Yea, nay, togglable.

I could take it or leave it.  I'm glad they are limiting it to naval weapons and not individual weapons though.   Almost every other option in the last vote was more appealing to me.

I'm in a hurry for them to get out the modular engines.  I have stopped work on just about everything because I see no reason to invest dozens of hours into a design only to have to rebuild it before I finish with it.  Granted that could happen any time, but knowing modular engines are in testing and coming soon makes designing a diesel powered ship feel pointless right now.

2 hours ago, Mikenike said:

I personally hate the new engines,

I haven't tried the test version.  I like the concept of the modular engines but I'm afraid the execution will annoy me.  Either way, not much motivation to pour myself deep into a ship project right now

It was starting to take shape, too:

CjAUck3.jpg

SLaLxOA.jpg?1

38 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

Been just chilling lately. I wanna do some formation flying with ya @Lewie, how's next weekend work for you??

Heck yeah! Now...to figure out how to plug my headset into the pc....

(I found some F-15s that are very good for the purpose, let’s give ‘em a whirl)

• 1 month later...

I rebuilt my old wheeled command vehicle into a tracked version that handles much better & built a tracked rescue & firefighting vehicle from scratch to replace my wheeled version

All-Terrain Rescue Vehicle - Tracked  (ATRV-T)

Can reach over 120kmh on land & 46 kmh on water (compared to 95 kmh & 25 kmh for the original 6-wheel ATRV), holds about 1800 liters of water for fire fighting and can carry 2 crew, 5 passengers & 1 casualty in a medical bed

TZz8B8G.jpg

Spoiler

Hill climbing abilities are excellent

hInL3R9.jpg

Practice fire-fighting at a quarry after a rough ride through the mountains.  The vehicle commander position controls the fire fighting, either from the camera turret or opening the hatch & raising the seat for a direct view

FzvEcYQ.jpg

Spacious interior with day/night internal lighting, heater for cold weather ops and a full selection of equipment for rescue, repair & fire fighting

ovYtGou.jpg

Topping off the fuel tanks at my lighthouse/helicopter base after a 5km swim from the island in the background.

fKKBLND.jpg

Mobile Command Vehicle (MCV)
Featuring an electric drive powered by a turbine-generator installation, capable of roughly 100 kmh on land and about 24 kmh on water.  

htrzg0t.jpg

Spoiler

Parked & camera deployed, ready to act as an airport tower while directing local SAR operations

DFNWKif.jpg

Features a plotting board with overlays for radar & an emergency beacon locator by @XLjedi along with a mast mounted camera to provide airport ground control functions in place of a permanent airport tower, complete weather station & two long range radios

d27HbQG.jpg

TpFyp4t.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
On 2/10/2021 at 10:47 PM, Lewie said:

Messing around with a submarine aircraft carrier! 

20210209192412_1.jpg

20210209192409_1.jpg?width=720&height=39

I was also messing around with a Tomcat, and my right engine went out! I still don't know why....

20210126203213_1.jpg?width=720&height=39

what jet are you using with the subcarrier?

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/19/2021 at 9:03 AM, DOOMGUY342 said:

what jet are you using with the subcarrier?

Looks like the Vertex D1 VTOL by Lorgs:

lYaiRBX.jpg (Image from Lorgs workshop page)

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2173345461

And it is a blast to fly.  It was built before the personal equipment update, so it doesn't have "stuff" but still performs very well.

On an unrelated note (other than using another Lorgs creation), I had a contract to tow a car from Donkk island to Sawyer Island.  I hadn't played a while & I was thinking the road bridge ran parallel to the rail bridge the whole way.  It does not.  Ended up needing four different vehicles to deliver the car - with "minor" scratches & saltwater damage.

gmzG0Xg.png

Vehicle 1:  My ATRV-T, hit a rock on the way to pick up the car.  Jumped out to fix the damaged track with a torch, forgot to set the brakes.  Upon fixing the track, it shot out into the ocean & sank.

Vehicle 2:  Lorgs' R9D rover.  Drove to the car, hooked up with the crane & drove along the road bridge till it ended in a parking lot.  Heck with it, this thing is amphibious.  All went well till I got into a small storm & the waves broke the car loose & it sank.

Vehicle 3:  It's only 30m down, so I fired up the Galen Shearwater HSR by Mongrade, pulled it up to the surface & partially onto the back deck, allowing a 60 knot trip the rest of the way to Sawyer Island.  Except the drop off point was too far inland to get get credit at the dock.  So I looped out to sea a little, turned back to shore & hit full power.  Maybe I can skip off the beach & land far enough inland to get credit.  As it turned out, no.  I landed in the middle of a forest, still too far to update the contract.

Vehicle 4:  Finally, ran to the train depot and spawned a NJ Arctic Snow Cat (by MrNJersey), which happens to fit in the train spawn.  I drove it down, grabbed the car with the winch & pulled it through the forest until finally getting close enough to finish the contract

• 3 weeks later...

Posted a new and improved tracked rescue/fire-fighting vehicle to the workshop.  I got tired of dealing with the mess that has become regular engines (and the ridiculous amount of cooling they require) so I made this one turbine powered - 150+ kmh on land, 70+ on water, 2 crew + 6 seated passengers + 1 medical bed. 

a1BsxV0.jpg

BRQcqwN.jpg

GLaSOzY.jpg

jnGWhMo.jpg

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.