(WIP) Kerbol system expanded development thread!

Jeb_da_kerbal

uL5LgWZ.png

Hello everyone! welcome to my development thread for my kopernicus planet pack, Kerbol system: Expanded!

as the name suggests, it adds more planets to the stock solar system, it will also add tons of new moons for the distant worlds.

The planned expansion (NOTE: I am not reinventing the wheel, adding Kerbol versions of the outer planets is not the only thing this mod does, it will add many different body's to explore, but if you want a decently made mod that add outer planets, I recommend Outer planets mod) 

Spoiler

Kerbol versions of Saturn, Uranus, Neptune and Pluto (Vool,Urnus,Nelton,Mock)

A Small gas giant in between the orbits of eve and kerbin, named Inferno, it will have one large moon named Rocky and will have 3 smaller moons (names and textures not made yet).

A pink/red version of Nelton named Spiral in a unstable orbit that passes Jools, will have one moon

A super large red gas giant far away from Kerbol with a supermassive ring, one large moon (not named yet)

One small asteroid named AST. KER-30L  that has a unstable orbit extending out to Neltons orbit, good luck landing on this one!

8 moons for Vool

4 moons for Urnus

2 moons for Nelton

Adds rings to Jool, Minmus and Eve!

Adds one new moon to duna named triton

gives the Mun a Tiny moonlet named Pebble

a asteroid orbiting Vool 

More coming soon!

Screenshots (more coming soon)

Spoiler

xqZ8nED.png

View from pebble with the Mun 

djvyJp0.png

Karbos and its rings

its quite obvious, but incase some people dont know, when the first version of this mod comes out, it will need kopernicus continued.

Known bugs

Lighting on Body's are offset a little

Weird Hexagon/Octagon shadows appear on Body's 

but yea anyways, ill be posting updates on the mods progress here 

Edited by Jeb_da_kerbal

Interesting mod,  how did you add those canyons(?) on Ninmus.

thank you, and before i used the more ''popular'' art programs that kopernicus modders use (photoshop and GIMP), i used a old painting software lying around on my computer, forgot how i got it but it was called krita, it had a brush called "Texture_Spines" and i used it on some of my moons, with a normal map it turns them into canyons. 

Also, I would suggest  changing Pebble's appearance. It looks like a smaller version of the Mun orbiting the Mun.

Pebble is suppose to be a small asteroid that got stuck in orbit of the mun a long time ago, so i would imagine it would end up looking something like the mun due to other objects hitting it, but i agree, i plan on remaking its texture soon

zsDmehc.png

i was gonna say that it was only that side of the moon that looked like the mun, but now that i look at the texture i realize that it does look like the mun.

I would suggest lowering the number of moons, the sheer amount of bodies can overwhelm you and it can be hard to come up with new ideas. If you add too many bodies, unless you can get really creative it'll just look like the same thing over and over and over again but with slightly different terrain.

Edited by DunaManiac

Saturn is my favorite planet in the solar system, and i wanted to make a planet that looks like it in this mod pack, even though Vool is a Saturn Analog i wanted to make a planet that had more features that where similar to Saturn (rings and color), but not exactly like it, so i made this planet, "Karbos"

aqArtAs.png

pC7Qou7.png

it isn't exactly like Saturn, its larger then Jool and closer to Kerbol then Jool, and it will only have 3 moons. 

Edited by Jeb_da_kerbal

SJ8Vxa0.png

Q0J51bT.png

One of the moons of Karbos, "Impact"

In game description: Impact is a moon orbiting Karbos, its one of the oldest moons orbiting the giant. its its orbit is inside the rings of Karbos itself, it used to be a small asteroid that got stuck in the rings, the impacts of the tiny ring particles made it grow, kerbal scientists believe that one day it will take a large amount of the rings away from Karbos, and might one day crash into Karbos, making a large impact on the size of the core on Karbos...

1 hour ago, Hpl said:

That sounds like a normal map issue, i reccomend generating them with kittopia

You see, ive tried that before and it bugs the planet even more, it fixes the error from the orbit/map veiw of the planet, but when you get close the lightings still broken on the surface, the error also happens with gas planets so i dont know whats going on

• 7 months later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.