A (sandbox) training rocket for new players to get to Duna. (Requires Making History DLC.)

This is the Far Shore, Apollo-style one-launch ship to land Kerbals on Duna and return them to Kerbin. 

(The ship requires the extra big rocket parts from the Making History DLC. I meant to make it stock but got confused. Sorry.) 

y7xI82D.png 

https://kerbalx.com/Vanamonde/Far-Shore 

Notes:

• It is MASSIVELY over-built. I know that. Don't bother to complain about it. The ship is meant to give new players a lot of error margin, and room to improve with their own designs once they get the idea.
  • The ship does no science.
  • The ship should not need communications/antennas unless you mess with the crew. 

Launch the ship, eject the boosters when they run out, then take the transit stage to Duna. 
OFJQTkq.png

Duna's atmosphere puts on a light show, but will not damage your ship if you use it to help save fuel when braking. 
lDC6jEd.png 

Once in orbit, detach the lander and, well, land it. Parachutes will almost be enough to land safely, but the ship will need a slight engine assist at the last moment
TxmS95i.png
3zRsQyH.png 

Extend the ladder and let the Kerbals get out and run around. They will have time because it will be several months until the planets align for a return. When they do, have the lander meet the mothership in orbit. 
K17Lwoq.png 

Then transit for home. 
68EssLp.png 

DO NOT TRY TO AEROBRAKE AT KERBIN. The atmosphere is much thicker and will likely burn up the ship. Instead, just do an orbital insertion burn. 

Burn to de-orbit, then separate the capsule and land. 
1dnDh76.png 

Edited by Vanamonde

I echo the above sentiment, in that it does look very friendly for new KSP players, though I do have a thought about the design. I personally wouldn't expect a new player to get the DLC expansions out of the box, so you may want to make a core-game parts only version of the rocket.

17 hours ago, Beriev said:

I echo the above sentiment, in that it does look very friendly for new KSP players, though I do have a thought about the design. I personally wouldn't expect a new player to get the DLC expansions out of the box, so you may want to make a core-game parts only version of the rocket.

That's what I meant to do. Which parts are not stock? 

3 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

That's what I meant to do. Which parts are not stock? 

I personally like the idea of a training rocket. I don't see any non-stock parts anyway.

17 hours ago, Beriev said:

I personally wouldn't expect a new player to get the DLC expansions out of the box, so you may want to make a core-game parts only version of the rocket.

A LOT of people buy it as a bundle.

5 minutes ago, Vanamonde said:

It's the extra big rocket parts, isn't it? 

I completely forgot the 5m weren't stock, its just been so long since I've had the BG DLC. 

Its just those prats I only use for MASSIVE craft or to haul around profusely large quantities of fuel to other craft. Like my ALLS ship, or Absuredly Large Launch Ship, or my Mk3 Megaliner, a hypersonic SSTO/ Aircraft I use to haul Kerbals around Kerbin, LKO, and to my Midway Station.

10 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

Aw, spit. It's the extra big rocket parts, isn't it? :mad: I forgot those aren't stock. 

I've just checked back in after a few days. Yeah, the 5m parts and 1.875m parts are DLC-exclusive, same with the F1-equivalent. (I don't own the DLC, if I sound strange.) Best of luck with the redesign!

On 11/10/2020 at 10:08 PM, Beriev said:

I've just checked back in after a few days. Yeah, the 5m parts and 1.875m parts are DLC-exclusive, same with the F1-equivalent. (I don't own the DLC, if I sound strange.) Best of luck with the redesign!

He isn't redesigning it. He mentioned in the title that it needs the Making History DLC now.

Not as overbuilt as some of the ships I made for Duna missions back in like 0.22 or whatever. I think there was a 1900-tonne nuclear monstrosity that was meant to go to Duna and back. That was before I would really calculate the Delta-V of ships.

Edited by Pds314

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.