Surfaces with different properties on celestial bodies

The Aziz

Another discussion about tyre squeal at landing made me think about it.  Such thing would be interesting and provide yet another challenge to exploration. Duna's dunes are of course made of sand and we know how wheels react to that. Vall is basically ice, so I expect very little friction, aside from lower weight of the vehicle due to gravity. Parts of Rask n Rusk are nearly molten, so the surface could be soft and sticky. How about that?

4 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

Another discussion about tyre squeal at landing made me think about it.  Such thing would be interesting and provide yet another challenge to exploration. Duna's dunes are of course made of sand and we know how wheels react to that. Vall is basically ice, so I expect very little friction, aside from lower weight of the vehicle due to gravity. Parts of Rask n Rusk are nearly molten, so the surface could be soft and sticky. How about that?

anything traveling on lava should meet a quick death

1 hour ago, mcwaffles2003 said:

anything traveling on lava should meet a quick death

Of course. But let's say you want to take a sample from a lava lake. The surface around is really warm, so you need heat-resistant wheels (steel?) with enough grip to get through the ground and not slide into the lake.

16 minutes ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

I think OP was talking about "sinking" effect in the sand, but different traction on different surfaces obviously aslo should be a thing.

Well... it's still yes. As long as it doesn't turn into rutted tangled mess like some dirt trails. 

I wonder how simulating a wheel sinking in mud or sand would work.

8 minutes ago, shdwlrd said:

Well... it's still yes. As long as it doesn't turn into rutted tangled mess like some dirt trails. 

I wonder how simulating a wheel sinking in mud or sand would work.

Honestly i would love to see wheel parts, that were designed for specific environment, and are essential for efficient traveling on land through that environment. Another cool opportunity to spice up the gameplay.

(wheels with spikes for icy places, big and absorbing wheels for bumpy places, off-road wheels for sandy/dirty places)

Edited by Acid_Burn9

9 hours ago, Acid_Burn9 said:

I think OP was talking about "sinking" effect in the sand, but different traction on different surfaces obviously aslo should be a thing.

Kinda both, and more towards the traction differences actually.

But the more I think about dynamic terrain effects, the more I don't like it, Imagine your first rover on Duna, happy to land safely, only to get stuck in sand after five minutes. Sure it's part of design challenge, but then it's also more frustrating than just learning again how to drive. Then again, the idea of having different wheels for different environments is super cool. So in the end I'm now 50/50 on that.

I like these ideas. 

Wheels sinking may be a tricky one to solve visually without it just looking wrong, but simulating the effect on traction etc of different surface and textures may well be doable.

Edited by pandaman

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Kinda both, and more towards the traction differences actually.

But the more I think about dynamic terrain effects, the more I don't like it, Imagine your first rover on Duna, happy to land safely, only to get stuck in sand after five minutes. Sure it's part of design challenge, but then it's also more frustrating than just learning again how to drive. Then again, the idea of having different wheels for different environments is super cool. So in the end I'm now 50/50 on that.

That's why i pointed out and are essential for efficient traveling on land through that environment. Not just traveling. Efficient traveling. Without well suited wheels you still should be able to move around without being permanently stuck just because of your wheel choice. Slowly and with difficulties, but actually still able to move.

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

I realized something. It's only cinematic trailer, but parker-tucker-rover.jpg?1579075212

This thing seem to have actual suspension and wheels with tread. I can only hope it's not only for visual purpose.

"Every craft in the trailer is build in game with game assets"

We have seen the same cockpit in another (orbital) craft in one of the pre-alpha shots.

2 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I realized something. It's only cinematic trailer, but parker-tucker-rover.jpg?1579075212

This thing seem to have actual suspension and wheels with tread. I can only hope it's not only for visual purpose.

This was one of the reasons i was so hyper up about KSP2 when trailer just came out. Those wheels are amazing!

Isn't that rover driving off colony landing ramp then on to terrain?

Well at least we have seen landing ramps suggesting some part to part traction effects and some reason to build a ramp instead of just landing on the surface. So Hopeful. Would also love to see scatter for locally rendered for things that would slow you up like tall grass on the planes of Kerbin and other goldielocks planets that might be in the game.

Surface textures:

Rock 

Loose aggregate

Fine aggregate 

Sand

Loamy dirt

High viscosity liquid (marsh, slime, tar, lava (assuming temperature resilience) )

Low viscosity liquid (water,  low weight hydrocarbons, liquified gasses)