Fuel types

More types of liquid fuel?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. More types of liquid fuel?

• Yes (if so, what type?)
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. New fuels (other than metallic hydrogen)

• Yes (If so, what type?)
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. What should LFO be split into?

• Kerolox
    • Hydrolox
    • Hydrazine
    • 75% Ethanol
    • Methalox
    • Other (if so say what)

I'm hoping/expecting for liquid fuel to be expanded to include LH2 and CH4 in addition to LF, which I see as an abstraction of Kerosene. LH2 will almost definitely be in the game because it's what NERVAs and other NTRs run on. 

I would also be excited for some sort of alternate fluorine or FO2 oxidizer in addition to the stock resource.

I'm against metallic hydrogen, but this isn't the time nor the place for that argument.

Knowing that the dev team is fans of Nertea's stuff, I think we can expect argon and lithium as new resources.

Exotic propellants might include nuclear salt water, antiprotons, deuterium, tritium, Li-6, He-3, orion pulse units, and plenty of other stuff.

Reigniting this subject again? Its already have confirmed that there will be several different fuel types in the game. There have been images proving the breaking of liquid fuel into specific types of fuel. (Much to my chagrin. :()

This is one of many things I've changed my mind about. I was originally against, now I'm for. SimpleRockets 2 did it for me. It's just more interesting to have to take fuel type into account when designing craft.

Naturally it needs to be supported by other features, for example fuel tanks need to have fuel type as a settable property, and there should be an option to auto-set it to the fuel required by the engines on the stage, and so on. Kerolox, methalox, and hydrolox would be cool, if on top of that we have mmH and a bunch of nuclear fuels, terrific.

Im hopin for more fission / fusion fuel types 2H, 3H, 3He. 6Li, 233U, 235U.... possibly antimatter if the game goes that far in the endgame.  Obviously include some noble gases for various forms of ion propulsion. Maybe we can start with kerosene and slowly work CH4 and LH2 in to get people acquainted with having various fuel types before the onset of a larger plethora. 

The more variations of propellants the more viable setting up multiple colonies will be if colonies are required to harvest these materials

There definitely will be more than metalic hydrogn, the other fuel types will give a reason to visit planets and make colonies/factories as they could produce the exotic fuel types.

Edited by Kosmix1

21 hours ago, Brikoleur said:

SimpleRockets 2 did it for me.

While I agree, the game would need to either do a good job of explaining why certain fuels are better for particular missions, or provide some sort of “helper” mechanic that asks you the mission type, and optimizes the fuel for the engine... for example, a terrier is great on Duna surface and in vacuum, but I’d be willing to bet that there are fuel types that could be optimized for the Duna atmosphere... similarly, dense atmospheres like eve, would require a separate fuel type than kerbin, when using a vector, for example.