I need tips for building a munar base.

The most efficent is probably just a ISRU unit with a docking port and solar panels in orbit. While a drill on the surface with solar panels and a engineer Kerbal in a command seat operates on the surface. Both the orbit and mining site would ideally be placed equatorialy. You may wish to have both the extraction and refining take place on the surface, while this isn't any less efficent than having the ISRU unit in orbit when it's all set up, you will have to haul the ISRU unit down to the surface of the moon which will ultimately cost more DV in total. 

12 hours ago, computercat04 said:

Do you guys have any tips and tricks to build a munar base as efficiently as possible?

I would ask how you define "efficiently". What would you like your base to be?
I complete the typical "build a new outpost on the Mun" contracts with tourist landers (2 stacked Hitchhiker cans, antenna, solar panel and a docking port). They don't stay on the surface for long.

Long-term bases are a bit larger (esp. including life support mod requirements) and are built on the surface by a team of engineers in a  Ground Construction mod mobile workshop rover. So I only need to land the DIY kit and a cargo container full of Material Kits.

7 hours ago, HansAcker said:

What would you like your base to be?

I want my base to have one science lab module, two habitation modules and ISRU, all connected together. 

7 hours ago, HansAcker said:

I complete the typical "build a new outpost on the Mun" contracts with tourist landers

I'm playing sandbox btw.

PS: I also want an efficient landing technique. I once tried landing and failed :(

Edited by computercat04
A typo

1 hour ago, computercat04 said:

I want my base to have one science lab module, two habitation modules and ISRU, all connected together. 

That's probably small enough to launch in one piece, especially in sandbox mode where efficiency and cost isn't a concern. An easy way to get it in place is to build it horizontally (so it's a long tube on Mun's surface), but launch and land it vertically with an engine on the end. Include enough reaction wheels or RCS so you can rotate it into horizontal position after vertical landing.

Why land vertically? It will be more balanced and controllable with the engine on the end like a long rocket. If you try to land with the base in its final horizontal position, you'll need to get the engine in the exact center of mass, and need to worry about that center shifting as you burn fuel during landing.

You can do it all with stock parts, but consider these mods especially if you want to be able to expand bases:

• Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KPBS): Has a set of new parts using a shape designed for surface bases. Includes hubs, docking ports, and motorized wheels to arrange parts on the surface. IMO the best way to build large bases.
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (SSPXR): Has a long extending version of "the klaw", useful for expanding bases. New landing legs include a self-leveling feature.
  • Kerbal Attachment System and Kerbal Inventory System (KAS/KIS): Winches for dragging parts together. Fuel hoses so your ISRU can refuel other ships without precision docking (land nearby and drag a hose to connect your lander to the base). Engineers can attach new parts after launch; very helpful if 2 docking ports can't quite align on the surface. Engineers can also remove extra parts that were only needed during base transportation.
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux: Not for parts, but for landing assistance. Includes a "suicide burn" indicator that will tell you when you need to activate your landing engines. Show many useful construction and flight statistics.
Edited by DeadJohn

1 hour ago, computercat04 said:

PS: I also want an efficient landing technique. I one tried landing and failed 

Well there's efficient and effective. The most efficient is a suicide burn where you basically after deorbiting freefall and wait till the last possible second to burn at full power retrograde. Efficient, but hard to perfectly pull off. If you fail you end up smacking into the ground. Easier is to first just cancel most of your horizontal velocity then do a vertical burn. Still better to wait till almost too late for those for more efficiency. I hope that made sense.

And yeah echoing DeadJohn, you can probably just land the entire base in one piece.

35 minutes ago, DeadJohn said:

That's probably small enough to launch in one piece, especially in sandbox mode where efficiency and cost isn't a concern. An easy way to get it in place is to build it horizontally (so it's a long tube on Mun's surface), but launch and land it vertically with an engine on the end. Include enough reaction wheels or RCS so you can rotate it into horizontal position after vertical landing.

Why land vertically? It will be more balanced and controllable with the engine on the end like a long rocket. If you try to land with the base in its final horizontal position, you'll need to get the engine in the exact center of mass, and need to worry about that center shifting as you burn fuel during landing.

You can do it all with stock parts, but consider these mods especially if you want to be able to expand bases:

• Kerbal Planetary Base Systems (KPBS): Has a set of new parts using a shape designed for surface bases. Includes hubs, docking ports, and motorized wheels to arrange parts on the surface. IMO the best way to build large bases.
  • Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux (SSPXR): Has a long extending version of "the klaw", useful for expanding bases. New landing legs include a self-leveling feature.
  • Kerbal Attachment System and Kerbal Inventory System (KAS/KIS): Winches for dragging parts together. Engineers can attach new parts after launch; very helpful if 2 docking ports can't quite align on the surface. Engineers can also remove extra parts that were only needed during base transportation.
  • Kerbal Engineer Redux: Not for parts, but for landing assistance. Includes a "suicide burn" indicator that will tell you when you need to activate your landing engines. Show many useful construction and flight statistics.

OK. I'm going to land all in one piece.

Because of engines in Kerbal never fail so You can build a whole base as it shold be on the ground (with smaller tanks around as landing legs with landing legs for touchdown) with the engine under to land (same engine to start from Kerbin).

Stack fuel tanks on top of the rocket and stage them from the top to bottom (just not in the direction You are accelerating) so at the end You will end up with base only and fuel to land using one engine for a whole mission (and some strapped boosters to help it get from launch pad). Dont forget fuel lines. It works in Kerbal - engins never fail, they work every time, they dosent have any expected time to failure so why stack more engines?

On 11/4/2020 at 7:22 PM, computercat04 said:

Do you guys have any tips and tricks to build a munar base as efficiently as possible? Recommendations? Tutorials?

I would put two hitchhikers, a science lab, some batteries on one end, with a docking port to cap that side, put some solar panels and landing legs here as well. Over the science lab, put an antenna (the one that folds out, not the big arrays) and on the other side, throw on the 2.5m ore tanks, and a convertotron with heat radiators and a drill. Add landing legs and lights and ladders and such where you would like. It is very basic, but holds 10 Kerbs, and has plenty of potential for ISRU as a fueling base. And when you become better at the game, you can add more to it. Put it vertically on a fairing piece, use the docking port as a decoupler here. and then build a rocket out of 2.5m and the other large stock pieces. use a mamoth engine set with a pair of Clydesdales on the sides, and you should get there with plenty of fuel. Disclaimer, I have not made a stage to land said base on the moon, simply a way to get it there and the base itself. I suggest using your TMI stage(Make sure it has fuel) and your RCS, lots of RCS and monopropellant. I can't give you an exact idea for the lander, cuz I don't know how well it will work. If you don't want to use the massive +3m parts, then use a twin boar engine stage with the clydesdales. Massively over engineered, but its sandbox, so you aren't strapped for cash and you are probably new to the game, so it needs to be simple, and have enough fuel for your mistakes to be fixed.

On 11/5/2020 at 10:49 AM, computercat04 said:

OK. I'm going to land all in one piece.

Best option, especially for a starter player.

On 11/5/2020 at 6:47 AM, Cattette said:

The most efficent is probably just a ISRU unit with a docking port and solar panels in orbit. While a drill on the surface with solar panels and a engineer Kerbal in a command seat operates on the surface. Both the orbit and mining site would ideally be placed equatorialy. You may wish to have both the extraction and refining take place on the surface, while this isn't any less efficent than having the ISRU unit in orbit when it's all set up, you will have to haul the ISRU unit down to the surface of the moon which will ultimately cost more DV in total. 

Its sandbox and he just wants it there on the surface, so it may cost more dV but it doesn't matter. DV for you is Delta V, or fuel in M/s.

KSP: Building a Mun Base! - YouTube

Building an Epic Mun Base (stock) - KSP ...

youtube.com

KSP Single Launch Mun Base - YouTube

KSP: The MASSIVE Rover! - YouTube

All good references and guides(Kinda) just replicate what they do with your own design, and you will be fine. Watch Matt Lowne's videos, it is detailed, and quite helpful. He talks about ascents and what is best to use for the payload, and he is a player with over a thousand hours on KSP.

Hope this massive post helps some.

Edited by Mikenike

8 minutes ago, Mikenike said:

I would put two hitchhikers, a science lab, some batteries on one end, with a docking port to cap that side, put some solar panels and landing legs here as well. Over the science lab, put an antenna (the one that folds out, not the big arrays) and on the other side, throw on the 2.5m ore tanks, and a convertotron with heat radiators and a drill. Add landing legs and lights and ladders and such where you would like. It is very basic, but holds 10 Kerbs, and has plenty of potential for ISRU as a fueling base. And when you become better at the game, you can add more to it. Put it vertically on a fairing piece, use the docking port as a decoupler here. and then build a rocket out of 2.5m and the other large stock pieces. use a mamoth engine set with a pair of Clydesdales on the sides, and you should get there with plenty of fuel. Disclaimer, I have not made a stage to land said base on the moon, simply a way to get it there and the base itself. I suggest using your TMI stage(Mkae sure it has fuel) and your RCS, lots of RCS and monopropellant. I can't give you an exact idea for the lander, cuz I don't know how well it will work. If you don't want to use the massive +3m parts, then use a twin boar engine stage with the clydesdales. Massively over engineered, but its sandbox, so you aren't strapped for cash and you are probably new to the game, so it needs to be simple, and have enough fuel for your mistakes to be fixed.

Best option, especially for a starter player.

Its sandbox and he just wants it there on the surface, so it may cost more dV but it doesn't matter. DV for you is Delta V, or fuel in M/s.

KSP: Building a Mun Base! - YouTube

Building an Epic Mun Base (stock) - KSP ...

youtube.com

KSP Single Launch Mun Base - YouTube

KSP: The MASSIVE Rover! - YouTube

All good references and guides(Kinda) just replicate what they do with your own design, and you will be fine. Watch Matt Lowne's videos, it is detailed, and quite helpful. He talks about ascents and what is best to use for the payload, and he is a player with over a thousand hours on KSP.

Hope this massive post helps some.

Thanks, it helped. And Thanks for following me btw

No problem, I follow quite a few people (like 30-40) because I like their creations, or their fan fics, or just them in general. If you need any more help, just mention me in a post and I'll look at it when I log on the next time. Looking forward to see screenshots of the base on the Mun soon!!

While i havent built a mun base in a while (the last one has been sitting there for years with a few minor edits done as i wanted to add/remove stuff), the basic design i use is launch a massive cluster of parts in a single shot.  I know i sound lazy to do it dis way but i play sandbox and i cant be bothered to do excessive number of launches especially when i have like 10+ modules to assemble on the ground.  I probably could do it with some autopilot mod, but im not a huge fan of such things as it takes the immersion out of the game and i enjoy flying stuff myself, just not 10+ rockets to the same damn spot as thats boring for me.

Anyways, onto what my monstrosity looks like:

ASbtH0M.png

It has IRSU with power reactor, labs, command center, habitation area with observation deck, and a full on landing pad with klaw for transfering fuels and grabbing whatever ship i land there.  Its more for looks honestly and its heavily based on ED tech from a RTS i played when i was a kid so its more "scifi military" then realistic, but hey, im not really into real life as i play games mostly to get away from reality.

OrzsbA4.png

Assembly is done via a small rover not pictured as i actually crashed it into a rock and it broke (ill send new one next time i get any modules that need to be changed/added/removed).  It attaches to the docking ports under each module and then pushes the modules into position, lining their mating side ports up then driving them together and letting the attraction force finish the dock.

ZTS0exY.png

This is what the launcher system looks like, all the parts are docked together, and with some rotate/offset tool useage its actually balanced enough to allow engine to be directly below the command module.  The blob of parts sits sideways in a fairing and gets launched to destination on a completely overkill rocket (realistically it would be done in single modules but again, im too lazy for dat).  Once in orbit, i use whatevers left in the main stage to slow it as much as i can, and use the core unit to deorbit it (has enough fuel to land it and even make a quick hop if i dont like the initial position i put it in.  Once dropped, the landing module uses whatever fuel is left inside to fly off and smash into the ground hard enough to explode itself.

Not sure how much help this is, but the one most important trick (at least for me) is to arrange whatever you want into a rocket that has a landing module at its CoM and all fuel needed to land in only that module so its centered.  that and bring plenty of RCS or wheels to rotate it.  Anyways, just showing what CAN be launched to the mun in 1 shot (stock game with visual mods only and like 1-2 cfg tweaks allowing me to have larger radius fairings to cover that nightmare completely as drag is not possible to deal with on something that assymetric and oddly shaped).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.