Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

Hello, all.

Gonna rip the band-aid off fast here: Kerbal Space Program 2 will release in 2022 instead of fall 2021. I
know this is frustrating, especially considering that this isn’t the first time we’ve adjusted our schedule.

We knew we were taking on an immense technical and creative challenge when we started this project.
We’ve heard time and again from this community that quality is paramount, and we feel the same way.
It’s not enough to deliver a bunch of new features – those features have to be woven together into a
stable, polished whole. We’re creating a reliable foundation on which players and modders alike can
build for another decade or more. That involves solving problems that have never been solved before,
and that takes time.

We’ve got a team of talented people working every challenge from every angle, and because I’m lucky
enough to get a front row seat, I can see the huge leaps we’re making. It’s killing us how much of this we
have to keep under our hats until the game is released. We can’t express how much we're looking
forward to soaking up all your reactions and discoveries on that day.

In the meantime, we’ll keep posting cool images here to give you a taste of what’s in store. We will also
continue to release feature videos and developer diaries that go more in-depth on specific areas of the
game, and hopefully those will help 2021 to go by a little faster. Stay tuned for a new dev diary coming
soon, as well as a new Feature Video this winter.

Thanks as always for sharing our commitment to making KSP2 as great as we all know it has to be.

-Nate Simpson

6 minutes ago, Nate Simpson said:

We’ve heard time and again from this community that quality is paramount, and we feel the same way.

It’s not enough to deliver a bunch of new features – those features have to be woven together into a
stable, polished whole. We’re creating a reliable foundation on which players and modders alike can
build for another decade or more. That involves solving problems that have never been solved before,
and that takes time.

At least for me, KSP 2 being polished, stable, and well-rounded is worth the wait.

Damn, if this is called almost a year before the old release date KSP2 seems to be in a sorry state, not even close to finished...

Edit: At least at that point noone should care about PS4/XBox One anymore, so we arent limited by their bad CPU performance.

Edited by Elthy

I'd rather take well finished and polished game than, yet another, "Early Access" game which have tons of bugs and player is forced to update & start from scratch again. Take your time and keep us informed continuously of your progress with KSP2!

Space. Is. Hard.

By this point, it seems KSP2 will take longer to develop than the first game (considering the time between the start of the first game's development and when we stopped getting worthwhile updates, and the time between the start of 2's development and the new release date).

KSP didn't come out as a finished product, so I don't see why KSP2 has to.

Edited by ChrisSpace

My disappointment is immeasurable, and my day is ruined but, it's understandable. Still wishing for a beta release somewhere in 2021 though since KSP1 is a bunch of spaghetti code and it's getting old.

I'd much rather have a clean and polished game then something that is half finished. 

Edited by Cyne

6 minutes ago, ChrisSpace said:

By this point, it seems KSP2 will take longer to develop than the first game (considering the time between the start of the first game's development and when we stopped getting worthwhile updates, and the time between the start of 2's development and the new release date).

KSP didn't come out as a finished product, so I don't see why KSP2 has to.

Yeah. But i think publisher is more greedy this time, because KSP is "hot topic", so the game will not be released in "early access", because of one simple reason: it will balance the expectations and desire for this game, so there will not be a "boom" in sales after release. In my opinion that's why devs are trying sell us a pig in a poke - not revealing any critical features, and only some "cosmetic".

Just now, Misguided Kerbal said:

This is good for my megathread!

Honestly though, this sounds like what they said last time. "Hey guys, making KSP2 is hard, we want quality, we're gonna a delay it a year blah blah blah." I get it, but again? Sounds like vaporware at this point.

They should withdrawl the release statement/date rather than just keeping doing the same thing. In my opinion that would be much more honest.