Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

Well, this is why modders are so very, very important.  Looking at you, Nertea and team, Galileo and team, LinxGuruGamer and many many others.

Also, it means the Squad devs might release another DLC, and have longer in their jobs!  Yay!

Personally, it means delaying an upgrade to my gaming laptop for another year as well.  Oh well.

Peace.

KSP1 has kept me, and continues to keep me, so busy since 2011 that I'm perfectly fine with KSP2 being delayed. I love KSP1 but it has its frustrations; if KSP2 can deliver the same experience without those frustrations then it might as well be the last game I ever buy.

You can always pull the timeline back in if things go better than expected, but you can't undo the damage done from a rushed release. This goes for all games, but in KSP2's case it's double so.

There are multiple, foundational systems that once implemented cannot be changed. This is part of why KSP couldn't ever just be updated to KSP2's supposed standards, there's too much cruft that goes straight to the core that affects performance in a negative way that changing it is basically making a new game anyway.

Those suggesting "Early Access" should also really keep that in mind, because the moment they release a public build for people to buy and play it's a final release for all intents and purposes. The fundamental systems there are frozen, and cannot be changed or updated extensively. They could release new parts, planets or other DLC, but if there was a problem with the "Physics LOD" for instance that absolutely crushed performance it wouldn't be fixable. Could it also be vaporware? Sure, but 2K has shareholders they're accountable to. This isn't a little indy company anymore, nor crowdfunded via "Donations". This is a medium sized team backed by a large publisher who will want a release, otherwise they have to explain the losses to their shareholders. So personally i think the chances of vaporware are smaller than them wanting more time, and weighing the effects of releasing a bad product against a delay.

It'll be ready when it's ready, and I'm perfectly fine with that.

TBH I've not played that much since 1.1
There have been too many bugs (landing legs being the worst) and my favourite mods being retired.
Plus I'm no longer studying, so I don't need to procrastinate so much :D

Still, if I was ever to be on New Player Has Joined (podcast), this would be the game where I talk their ears off.
Nothing else comes close. :wub:

The news might seem a little disappointing but in my mind. A delayed game is always better than an unfinished game. A rush and hurry could create a bug that would plaque the game forever. Just like in the KSP1. And I believe that creating strong foundations would help further development to be quicker and more stable. So, take time. Make sure it’s finished. And once it is, we would owe you all.

Phew. For this kind of delay I want to see the physics - and the physics engine - completely redone. Multithreaded, with real gravity - for the orbits of all the celestial bodies too.

1 hour ago, DebasishRout said:

The more time ksp 2 will take  to come out the better the game will be ! 

That's no guarantee. Big software projects have this tendency to implode if you allow them to continue, grow, redefine scope for long enough. And in a market as volatile as the gaming industry...

9 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

Clearly you didn't get to watch KSP grow when it was still in early access. Did you?

I didn't pay £60 for KSP. I paid £20 which is a fair price for what was then a half-baked game. A good half-baked game I'll admit (I'm still here 8 years later after all).

My point was, developers releasing half-finished games and then trying to charge full price for them is an example of exactly what is wrong with the modern games industry, and when a developer does the right thing and says "it's not ready yet so we're going to delay it" we should be encouraging this. Or they should release it in EA and charge it accordingly, but that won't happen.

Edited by severedsolo

Eh. It kind of makes sense. I did think they were entirely too optimistic about how much of the team and project they are salvaging when Private Division took development away from Star Theory and gave it to Intercept. Whether or not it was the right decision at the time, it is guaranteed to be extremely disruptive, and given that they were still looking for graphics and physics engineers well into when game was supposed to be approaching later stages of production on the original schedule... Pragmatic thing would have been for Intercept to treat the game as if in pre-production for the first time. And yes, nobody likes that, not the developers who already worked on the game, and not the publishers who already funded said development, but it's even worse if you keep trying to do production without resources on a schedule that makes no sense.

Well, better late then never, in more ways than one. Best of luck to them.

Honestly, the delay is a bit freighting .. To have such a hold up could mean that something is blocking development, like a particular feature. Now, it could also be the pandemic at large that affects the whole team and how it is working, but we will never know. Or we won't until Nate shows up with some explanations if he wants to.

Anyways, i feel like i will have my PhD before i could get my hands on this game. I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing. Maybe i'll get more attention to my studies ? xD

Well...

A little disapointed, naturally, but not shocked.  I did say a when it was announced that I thought the 'Fall 2021' date was a realistic target.  But it turns out I was wrong on that one (Me, wrong?  Yeah I know, unbelievable :D).  That date is still sufficiently distant for as to not feel like a massive change has been made (even though it has, in reality).

It will come when it comes.  I don't want to put a curse on it, but I am convinced that it will get finished and released sometime (cue the JFK 'Before this decade is out....'  speech with appropriate edits).  So much time, effort and (more critcally business wise) MONEY.  Has been invested so far that if it were to get scrubbed I think it would have happened by now, they've had opportunities to do that, yet they still carry on with it. 

Getting it right, and stable, is key on this one.  I think it's easy for most of us to under estimate the task at hand.