Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

7 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Another point is how much of KSP1 would honestly be applicable to the development of KSP2, them being familiar with unity would be a plus. But all of KSP1's API's are gone, and the Unity version is more recent. So unless Intercept already had a decent amount of API code written, or the individuals were already familiar with using C#/C++ then it's really not something you couldn't find somewhere else. Modeling? DX11 changes what texture layers are required, and their individual complexity in some places. Now there are mods that use these type of textures and models in KSP, so i guess you might headhunt the 5 people who develop for them (I'm exaggerating for effect, but still).

So at the end of the day, the total cost of training you'd save is basically none. Potentially it might actually cost more to train someone who's had the bulk of their experience modding KSP1 than just a normal Software Developer straight out of College, due to KSP1 modder hires potentially having to unlearn so much while also dealing with significant gaps in their own understanding.

You exaggerate the differences. If they were making mods for KSP, they can work on pretty much any Unity title with minimal training in some capacity or another, be it code, design, or art as appropriate to their skill set. But so can anyone who was trained in Unity development in general, and yes, you need people with broader experience to lead them as well. So I'm with you on your overall point, but you're being a bit too dramatic on the details. Things like differences in Unity and DirectX version aren't going to make an impact here.

I also agree with you that if they have skills to jump from KSP mods to working on KSP2, they have plenty of opportunities in game development in general, and there is no guarantee they'd prefer to work on KSP2 over anything else they can be a part of. So again, with you on overall point.

@UomoCapra while I am disappointed that I must wait longer I am happy I have to wait a bit longer. It means that you guys are doing what is right for the game to come out when it is ready. Keep on making the game and working to make it awesome! I know it will be great. I know this because you and the team are clearly being thoughtful and deliberate in making certain it is done right. Thank you for that!

Edited by AlamoVampire

Team Fortress 2 and Spore have already trained me well to wait a long time for the video games I like.

Except Spore lacked all the featured I ever cared about, and KSP2 promises all of them.

Shows who's pudding is on the wrong foot now!

7 hours ago, K^2 said:

You exaggerate the differences. If they were making mods for KSP, they can work on pretty much any Unity title with minimal training in some capacity or another, be it code, design, or art as appropriate to their skill set. But so can anyone who was trained in Unity development in general, and yes, you need people with broader experience to lead them as well. So I'm with you on your overall point, but you're being a bit too dramatic on the details. Things like differences in Unity and DirectX version aren't going to make an impact here.

I also agree with you that if they have skills to jump from KSP mods to working on KSP2, they have plenty of opportunities in game development in general, and there is no guarantee they'd prefer to work on KSP2 over anything else they can be a part of. So again, with you on overall point.

True, all true.

The world would be a better place if publishers didn't announce the game until it was actually finished (not 90%, not 99%, 100%!) You shouldn't make promises on unfinished games because you don't know if you will run into unforseen issues  or other challenges. Also announcing a game in pre alpha and expecting to release it in a few months is a recipe for disaster. I still believe they can release it, and I do want to wait for a finished game. But this is looking kinda like the Minecraft super duper graphics pack (which was announced in 2017 to be released in the same year before being delayed multiple times (sounding familiar) and then being cancelled in early 2020, although I suspect it had been abandoned for a while by then.) The lack of news and the long delays are all too familiar, and I would say there is at least a 10% chance that we will never see a ksp2, but that's just my opinion.

4 hours ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

That’s sad. Well. On they bright side KSP2 maybe better. Maybe.... Hm. I’m not sure. Well. We are patient right?

My patience is running thin. Luckily I've kind of given up so I'm not really even waiting anymore. Got burnt out on ksp and haven't played for a few months, if KSP2 does release I might get back into it.

Edited by catloaf

1 hour ago, catloaf said:

The world would be a better place if publishers didn't announce the game until it was actually finished (not 90%, not 99%, 100%!) You shouldn't make promises on unfinished games because you don't know if you will run into unforseen issues  or other challenges. Also announcing a game in pre alpha and expecting to release it in a few months is a recipe for disaster. I still believe they can release it, and I do want to wait for a finished game. But this is looking kinda like the Minecraft super duper graphics pack (which was announced in 2017 to be released in the same year before being delayed multiple times (sounding familiar) and then being cancelled in early 2020, although I suspect it had been abandoned for a while by then.) The lack of news and the long delays are all too familiar, and I would say there is at least a 10% chance that we will never see a ksp2, but that's just my opinion.

My patience is running thin. Luckily I've kind of given up so I'm not really even waiting anymore. Got burnt out on ksp and haven't played for a few months, if KSP2 does release I might get back into it.

And that would be better because?

It's not like you spent any money on the game, it will release when it will release and being impatient about it is just a waste of time.

6 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Yeah, I also don't quite understand what's the point of announcing a release date for a game that's nowhere near complete. 

13 hours ago, catloaf said:

I totaly agree.

It is not the devs faults, but I felt so hyped for this game- then it got delayed. I was fine with that, but then it happened again. I was upset but understanding. Now it has happened again, and I am starting to get fed up. 

I have come to understand that this game has been in pre-alpha for awhile. With that being said- why did they start advertising the game and putting out a overly ambitoiuse release date only to delay it! I am not mad at the devs, but mad at the way their product has been handled.

Publishers have to announce release dates for a game. There are marketing campaigns, reviews, game expos, etc. that are integral to this, and nearly all other industries. Even if we pretend all that stuff doesn't exist, the info will leak as the games need to be distributed somehow.  The idea of zero communication until the game is 100% finished is a recipe for bankruptcy, since any semi-competent competitor will simply announce their game early and take the majority of sales before the consumers figure out the first game is even for sale.

Another point - Don't buy into the hype. Don't lose context because you have a yearning for a product. Stop and think: How many games have been produced in the last say 10 years that have A) lived up to the hype and B) have NOT been delayed?  Its a weakness of human nature that is hard to fight. I fall prey to it just like everyone else. Just step back and try to think of the bigger picture. They aren't making KSP2 so that I, meecrob, can play the game, and I want to play the game NOW! This is a project that is trying to hit a certain spot with millions of players. They are currently burning through tons of money and if they don't get the balance right, those millions of players will say "meh" and years of work, millions of dollars, and possibly careers are all down the drain.

15 hours ago, sh1pman said:

Yeah, I also don't quite understand what's the point of announcing a release date for a game that's nowhere near complete. 

In short, to make shareholders happy. The deadline has to exist either way. It's part of a contract between developer and publisher, and while everyone understands that some flexibility is necessary, it's also a universal truth that developers will never finish a game if there isn't a deadline. Not because we don't work hard, but because we come up with more things to add faster than we can add them. :sticktongue:

That said, the deadline need not be public. It's just a contract. But publishers have their own responsibilities, primarily to shareholders (or investors, if privately owned). Part of that responsibility is forecasts, and you can't have a forecast without a release schedule. The further out the planned release, the more vague you can be about it. But once you have a specific date, it's hard to get away with going back to vague without upsetting the stock prices. Though, some more established companies with good record have gotten away with it in the past.

All the PR surrounding announcements is more about making the best of it. If the publishers didn't have to release information about upcoming games to appeal to shareholders, I don't think we'd see nearly as many early announcements. You can sort of see it with some companies, like Valve and pre-Activision Blizzard, where we'd often just get a hint that they're working on something with, "When it's done," as the public release date. There would still always be an internal deadline, but it need not be public if you aren't playing the corporate game.

P.S. Complete speculation, but I suspect that part of the reason why KSP2 was announced originally on a very aggressive schedule is probably because Star Theory was angling to get bought by Take Two. It's very hard for me to even guess at this point if that schedule was ever realistic, but once there was an official release date, Private Division was sort of trapped and had to give specific date, even if the confidence in it was low. I could easily be off the mark on this, but I've seen that sort of thing happen before.

Edited by K^2

Honestly Im completely okay with this. It looks like huge increase in scope from KSP1 and a lot of new gameplay to iron out. To me thats always the most important thing—that the game is fun and the mechanics are well oiled. To this end though I’d welcome a public beta so players can dig in and give feedback and find all those edge-case bugs that are hard to spot. 

Surely there are other more lucrative short-term projects that demand more resources and staff.  

As long as they are not too delayed for "customers" to die and not be spared with new generations interested in simulators....

Everything is finite...

31 minutes ago, dprostock said:

Surely there are other more lucrative short-term projects that demand more resources and staff.  

As long as they are not too delayed for "customers" to die and not be spared with new generations interested in simulators....

Everything is finite...

Intercept has no other ongoing project, it was created specifically for KSP 2 and other Private Division projects have their own studio, often not owned by PD.

This delay is absolutely about the game needing more time or PD providing a bigger budget to make the game bigger.

Edited by Master39

51 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Intercept has no other ongoing project, it was created specifically for KSP 2 and other Private Division projects have their own studio, often not owned by PD.

This delay is absolutely about the game needing more time or PD providing a bigger budget to make the game bigger.

If you are comfortable with that idea...
I imagine that the staff and resources have been sextotuplicated then...
Every 18 months there is a technological leap, so the idea is to expect the release date to be postponed to include those advances, at the time they are presented... it's not a matter of not having one product up to date.

22 minutes ago, dprostock said:

If you are comfortable with that idea...
I imagine that the staff and resources have been sextotuplicated then...
Every 18 months there is a technological leap, so the idea is to expect the release date to be postponed to include those advances, at the time they are presented... it's not a matter of not having one product up to date.

Whatever they're doing is KSP2 related, and in the worst case scenario it means that we wait longer to have the same game, in the best one it means that we wait more to get a bigger game.

Whe don't know what's the case, but we know that Intercept has only one project and that project is KSP2.

Edited by Master39

10 minutes ago, Master39 said:

Whatever they're doing is KSP2 related, and in the worst case scenario it means that we wait longer to have the same game, in the best one it means that we wait more to get a bigger game.

Whe don't know what's the case, but we know that Intercept has only one project and that project is KSP2.

Good!!! 

As long as we have the Covid-19 vaccine that prolongs life expectancy, there's nothing to worry about.