Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

10 hours ago, Gargamel said:

Overlapping threads have been merged.

Not gonna lie, you gave me a bit of a heart attack when I saw the thread title and then saw the user name of the first poster before realizing it was a merged thread lol. 

On 1/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Vegatoxi said:

It was must be released almost a year ago  (base on first announce)

But now this is between 1 or 2 years to wait. (Except the fact this date can be easley prolongue up to infinity)

It's a good thing that KSP 2 hasn't been cancelled, in fact, it's a good thing if a game get's delayed. Because that means there is expansion or more time to polish it right, if the game is being rushed, then that's when we are seeing problems. I trust the developers with the delays, it keeps getting better. Just look at one of many @Nate Simpson's posts, you can tell that the game is just getting more rich and more better.

On 1/9/2021 at 8:32 PM, Vegatoxi said:

For such a game it's death.

We nerver forget. Let be Kods be with you, KSP2;.;

The game isn't dead.

A lot of games are delayed a few years just because they found things that where unprecedented ahead of time. I have heard of games being delayed for a year being super successful, I have even heard of games being delayed for 5 years being super successful. So instead of being in sadness that KSP 2 dead (which it's not,) let's celebrate that it means that HORRAY WE KNOW THAT MEANS MORE DEVELOPEMENT TIME!

Finally, I think it might be good to look at this quote from the legend:

"A delayed game is eventually good. A bad game is forever bad"

-shigeru miyamoto

Edited by Guest
incorrect quote

Just making sure to voice support for doing it right over doing it fast.

Be careful to manage communication to avoid building a hype train that needs too many boosters/struts to get off the pad! A lot of people would be thrilled with a refresh. Don't prime us for disappointment and I'm sure your work will be grand and well received. Avoid the trap of more time = more features, just say when you got delayed working out bugs or other back end issues. There's enough people on these forums familiar with code projects to defend you if the more naive make a fuss.

Edited by ajburges

I wonder if I can make a colony on a planet based on Alpha Centori (that’s spelled wrong, I know it) if so Ima make one. 

I haven’t played ksp in a few years and I’m gonna get back into it for 2021. I had a hard time with anything but science mode, so Ima start there (Ima newb arnt I)

This 'postponement' news does not concern me half as much as the dev diaries we are getting. The last one was about graphic modelling (ooo we are finding new revolutionary ways to look at a kerbal, click it, use it's GUI etc), and soooo much time was spent explaining how their facial expression change during flight ... that immediately brought to my mind that Peter Griffin meme ("oh my god who - the hell - cares!"). It is not that graphic development isn't important, but really, we all have so many concerns about what is good in KSP1 and will be kept/improved in KSP2, that a dev diary showing Jeb's face changing from a smiling face to whatever just isn't what I was expecting at this phase. isn't there something more CRUCIAL being debated, which they would find it interesting to share with us?

The pace and content of  the diaries makes me wonder if the main issues aren't being postponed because they still are not quite sure about main conceptual issues, and for the meantime, some budget is allotted to some graphic designer to find out if he can make it easier to 'click' on a kerbal in some novel way.  That, my friends, is the real concern from my part.

Edited by Daniel Prates

19 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

This 'postponement' news does not concern me half as much as the dev diaries we are getting. The last one was about graphic modelling (ooo we are finding new revolutionary ways to look at a kerbal, click it, use it's GUI etc), and soooo much time was spent explaining how their facial expression change during flight ... that immediately brought to my mind that Peter Griffin meme ("oh my god who - the hell - cares!"). It is not that graphic development isn't important, but really, we all have so many concerns about what is good in KSP1 and will be kept/improved in KSP2, that a dev diary showing Jeb's face changing from a smiling face to whatever just isn't what I was expecting at this phase. isn't there something more CRUCIAL being debated, which they would find it interesting to share with us?

The pace and content of  the diaries makes me wonder if the main issues aren't being postponed because they still are not quite sure about main conceptual issues, and for the meantime, some budget is allotted to some graphic designer to find out if he can make it easier to 'click' on a kerbal in some novel way.  That, my friends, is the real concern from my part.

Graphic designers don't write physics code......

There's literally nothing else they might be able to show at the moment depending on how rough the current build of KSP2 is, and the backend people are probably passed out in a lounge inside the studio after 12-hour marathon sessions each day having nightmares about the next couple paragraphs of code they'll have to write after they get like 4 hours of sleep.

Not saying your concerns aren't valid, but just giving an alternative interpretation.

7 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Graphic designers don't write physics code......

Nooooo!

If you took my post as me defending the idea that graphic designers should adress physics codes (I didnt even mention physics) then go back and read if again.

All I'm saying is, many of us are a bit concerned with development, and when the eventual and sparse DD comes mentioning the great developments in "kerbal facial expressions" department, that adds to the concern tied to another postponement. Makes it feel like the many, still undefined aspects of KSP2 that really matter are under debate or have hit an obstacle, hence the postlonement.

That is all, if it is clearer rewritten like this. Nothing about graphuc designers coding physics. Other than that you either agree with me or don't, and its all cool.

8 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Nooooo!

If you took my post as me defending the idea that graphic designers should adress physics codes (I didnt even mention physics) then go back and read if again.

All I'm saying is, many of us are a bit concerned with development, and when the eventual and sparse DD comes mentioning the great developments in "kerbal facial expressions" department, that adds to the concern tied to another postponement. Makes it feel like the many, still undefined aspects of KSP2 that really matter are under debate or have hit an obstacle, hence the postlonement.

That is all, if it is clearer rewritten like this. Nothing about graphuc designers coding physics. Other than that you either agree with me or don't, and its all cool.

Oh yeah, i know. Hell I'm concerned with development.

My post was mostly just to be interpreted as "Resources in one area don't necessarily mean they're being taken from another" Physics was just an example; you could replace it with anything you want really xD

You're cool on all fronts.

@Daniel Prates I suggest, if you haven't, to go listen to this podcast interview with Nate Simpson and Paul Furio  they gave a good insight on the design of the game and revealed quite a few things.

11 hours ago, Daniel Prates said:

Makes it feel like the many, still undefined aspects of KSP2 that really matter are under debate or have hit an obstacle, hence the postlonement.

Debates about the design of some feature don't bring to delays in games, it's usually something taking longer than planned to implement or some problem with the playtesting that calls for a redesign of some parts of the game. 

It could also be that with the whole pandemic thing going on it takes way longer to work on things (lots of delays in the whole gaming industry).

5 hours ago, Incarnation of Chaos said:

Oh yeah, i know. Hell I'm concerned with development.

My post was mostly just to be interpreted as "Resources in one area don't necessarily mean they're being taken from another" Physics was just an example; you could replace it with anything you want really xD

You're cool on all fronts.

Well..... to be honest I am trying to stay optimistic but when you see the current zeitgeist of game development in general, it is hard to ignore the truth, that market considerations tend to make most games favor sales than real quality. Has always been that way but nowadays, more so. So if a game can be dumbed down to reach a wider player base, it probably will be. Microtransactions, a min-maxing model, dlc-oriented sales etc., those things have ruined many of my favorite things lately and I cant shake the feeling that KSP2 will veer off towards that in some way.

Ksp1 is excellent BY ACCIDENT, if you think about it. It started unpretentiously with what was almost a mobile phone game and took off unexpectedly, with a small team and a lot of comunity content by competent fanatics. It never followed a normal roadmap. Now however a studio picks up the franchise when it already has a reputation, and conducts development of a sequel as any other major comercial game of the present. That is why constant postponements, few DDs about peripherical details make me shudder. Makes me feel they are all gathered in a cave inside a dead volcano somewhere debating about how to include "cards" somehow or something like that.

But I am hoping to be wrong of course. Thanks for your post, I prefer to beleive you are right. Lets see!

Also thanks @Master39, I will check the video.

1 hour ago, Daniel Prates said:

Microtransactions, a min-maxing model, dlc-oriented sales etc., those things have ruined many of my favorite things lately and I cant shake the feeling that KSP2 will veer off towards that in some way.

I think players often fail to see the other side of the medal, before all of those things games didn't last for a decade with constant support, fixes, upgrades, new features and so on.

I bet this game will follow the already tried and proofed "Paradox model", extended support paid with a excrementston of DLCs.

I'd rather see paradox model than EA model. Or, maybe, as it's a bit better, SCS model. Game released as complete, but with free AND paid expansions released over the years.

Because, EA - namely, the Sims, base game is so barebones that it even lacks calcium. Hell, it's just a single skull, the rest of the skeleton, muscles, organs and skin are paid dlcs.

Paradox, I can only say for cities skylines. There's a lot of paid expansions that make the game more interesting, add more mechanics and stuff, but it's still very much playable without them.

Now, these days big, complex games don't really exist without dlcs, so I can expect the same with ksp2 case, however, I still expect the game to be complete and offer full experience on release. Any dlcs could be expansions of what we already have. Like part packs. For few bucks. Why? Because multiplayer. Incompatibilities between players. If one has cool solar panel and the other doesn't, it shouldn't be a problem. If one - let's say - uses Breaking Ground equivalent, and the other one does not have the expansion, they can't really use it if they don't have the whole thing implemented into their game, client side. (Now I know, currently the inventory thing is in the base game of ksp1, so it's the same as mentioned earlier "cool solar panel" difference, but until few days ago it wasn't there).

Looking at it from the other side, part packs sound a lot like "microtransactions" and we know that they aren't going to be in the game. So I don't know really. I just want full experience.

I understand the temptation to read into the cadence and content of marketing materials to get some insight about how development is going. I  remember poring over every word that HarvesteR wrote, desperate to know when docking would come online. I was crawling out of my skin, desperate to start working on a proper Grand Tour supership (and of course when docking ports finally came, it was wobble city). I feel your pain.

In the broad strokes, the order in which the video topics are presented was planned out quite a while ago, and those topics were chosen based largely on when each of those areas of the game was expected to cross a threshold of presentability. Many areas of development simply aren't that photogenic until near the end, and any time that we spend making them pretty earlier in the cycle is time we're stealing from elsewhere in the project. 

We have a large and talented team working on all systems in parallel, and there is excellent progress being made in all areas. I'm sure I speak for the engineers in particular when I say that I'm looking forward to watching you play the finished game. We had an internal show and tell yesterday and one thing in particular was so cool that I got slightly choked up.

The game is looking great and it's going to be great. Thanks for hanging in there with us.

1 hour ago, Nate Simpson said:

I understand the temptation to read into the cadence and content of marketing materials to get some insight about how development is going. I  remember poring over every word that HarvesteR wrote, desperate to know when docking would come online. I was crawling out of my skin, desperate to start working on a proper Grand Tour supership (and of course when docking ports finally came, it was wobble city). I feel your pain.

In the broad strokes, the order in which the video topics are presented was planned out quite a while ago, and those topics were chosen based largely on when each of those areas of the game was expected to cross a threshold of presentability. Many areas of development simply aren't that photogenic until near the end, and any time that we spend making them pretty earlier in the cycle is time we're stealing from elsewhere in the project. 

We have a large and talented team working on all systems in parallel, and there is excellent progress being made in all areas. I'm sure I speak for the engineers in particular when I say that I'm looking forward to watching you play the finished game. We had an internal show and tell yesterday and one thing in particular was so cool that I got slightly choked up.

The game is looking great and it's going to be great. Thanks for hanging in there with us.

Take your time! Remember, slow and steady wins the race. I understand. A high project can sometimes come with some mishaps, delayed, and fights, errors, and unplanned disassembles (wink! ;))

Just don’t be rushed. That all I’m saying and Oo! Keep up the good work! The alpha version looks glorious! Jool came out nice.

8 hours ago, Master39 said:

I think players often fail to see the other side of the medal, before all of those things games didn't last for a decade with constant support, fixes, upgrades, new features and so on.

I bet this game will follow the already tried and proofed "Paradox model", extended support paid with a excrementston of DLCs.

Oh. I understand DLCs, but don’t make too many of them. Like I get 5 DLCs. But don’t like say only stock has 30 parts and with DLC you can have all the 50 other parts. I mean. Then a game get disappointing. And also, something DLCs don’t download which can cause a fuss. You know what I mean. Just don’t make it like KSP2 with like an EA game. Please don’t.

7 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Because, EA - namely, the Sims, base game is so barebones that it even lacks calcium. Hell, it's just a single skull, the rest of the skeleton, muscles, organs and skin are paid dlcs.

Yes. Don’t make this happen. 

8 hours ago, Master39 said:

And yes. I look forward to KSP2 updates.

On 1/10/2021 at 10:01 PM, The Doodling Astronaut said:

It's a good thing that KSP 2 hasn't been cancelled,

I’m calm.

On 1/14/2021 at 9:19 AM, Daniel Prates said:

This is true. I’m sometimes worry that KSP2 might be going slowly than 2022. That means my console and I won’t see it till 2023. And if later. I don’t know anymore. No offense. I’m having in their.

2 hours ago, Nate Simpson said:

cadence and content of marketing materials to get some insight about how development is going.

the order in which the video topics are presented was planned out quite a while ago, and those topics were chosen based largely on when each of those areas of the game was expected to cross a threshold of presentability.

My tone in the post above might have been sending the wrong message. I was trying to say in my message that we know the game will be a great successor. And how after each post we just know how much more the rich the game is.  I too, am looking very much to play this game. I guess the best of the game is stuff you wanna hide most. 

I joined the Kopernicus group a while back and learned how hard it is to make planets (and you guys are doing it without a software like Kopernicus.) From my knowledge of planet development I agree it usually isn't until when you are almost done that it's presentable.

It's more exciting in fact now that the best is still yet to come. Continue doing the magic of your work KSP 2 devs! We will be cheering you on!

Edited by Guest
grammer correction

I think (and while most people have already said so, but oh well) that the devs should take their time because creating a game as complex and indepth as KSP and KSP 2 is no joke. In fact, hats off to them that they even managed to do so much so fast and so well. Quality does indeed come before a speedly launch.

I'm glad y'all are committing to quality later rather than a broken game now, but I really hope the hype doesn't die down because of the delay. The game was announced a while ago now, and even I'm starting to forget about it. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...