Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

On 5/18/2021 at 5:54 PM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

2022 is rapidly aproaching... kinda.

Luckily there is no universal 2021. Each of us has our own internal clock - our own four-velocity equal to the speed of light, c. Moving faster angles the vector more and more into space so that you travel less and less through time. Go fast enough, and 2022 will be here in an instant for you! Thus we can do many things to get to release date sooner. Board an interstellar spaceship, keep bumping this thread increasingly often for no reason, we could even drive in a circle at high speed!

2 hours ago, Wubslin said:

Luckily there is no universal 2021. Each of us has our own internal clock - our own four-velocity equal to the speed of light, c. Moving faster angles the vector more and more into space so that you travel less and less through time. Go fast enough, and 2022 will be here in an instant for you! Thus we can do many things to get to release date sooner. Board an interstellar spaceship, keep bumping this thread increasingly often for no reason, we could even drive in a circle at high speed!

I just realized all I need to do to get ksp 2 sooner is to aproach the speed of light. GENIUS!

On 5/21/2021 at 8:39 AM, PlutoISaPlanet said:

I just realized all I need to do to get ksp 2 sooner is to aproach the speed of light. GENIUS!

You could also let Thak bonk you on head with stick.  When you wake up - it is here! 

• 1 month later...

https://mashable.com/article/kerbal-space-program-2-interview?amp&utm_campaign=mash-com-tw-main-link&utm_contnet=entertainment&utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=social&__twitter_impression=true

Some interesting info here: 

1. It sounds like the tech tree is going to potentially have paths that close off if you select others. That’s a really good choice IMO. 
2. No life support. 

I'm beginning to become concerned that there will be another delay. Anyone else?

Edit 5 hours later: It was just gas, everything is fine.

Edited by TLTay
Just gas

1 hour ago, Spaceman.Spiff said:

1. It sounds like the tech tree is going to potentially have paths that close off if you select others. That’s a really good choice IMO. 

I skimmed the article and didn't see that part, there is a part where they say the tech tree "splits" but I don't see any mention of other parts of the tree getting "closed off".

2 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I'm beginning to become concerned that there will be another delay. Anyone else?

Not me. If anything, the recent announcement that console versions will be releasing at the same time as the PC version makes me more optimistic that development is on track for a release next year. (Previously, the plan was to release on PC first and console some time after).

They've also given themselves a lot of leeway, a release in 2022 could obviously mean anywhere between 1 January and 31 December.

After you've successfully landed on a planet you'll have to find and collect resources to build vehicle parts and expand your colony. However, this doesn't mean Kerbal is pivoting to become a resource management game. Once you've picked up a resource, brought it to your colony, and built some transport infrastructure, an automated delivery system will continue to deliver it. For Simpson it’s a "happy medium" between giving players new challenges to overcome and letting them get back to the business of spaceflight.

Simpson noted that, while you can colonise other planets, you won't have to worry about feeding your Kerbals and keeping them alive once you get there. Life support isn't going to be a concern.

This helps ease my mind that the colonies at least, will not become a micro managing nightmare. Yes! 100's of colonies, I can see it now!

I just had a peek through the T2 interactive 4th quarter earnings release. Still no mention of KSP releasing in fiscal 22, so still on track for fiscal 23 release. That gives us around a year to the earliest likely release date. It's possible they will plan it for the KSP anniversary date?

Edited by TLTay
Edit

15 minutes ago, TLTay said:

I just had a peek through the T2 interactive 4th quarter earnings release. Still no mention of KSP releasing in fiscal 22, so still on track for fiscal 23 release. That gives us around a year to the earliest likely release date. It's possible they will plan it for the KSP anniversary date?

What is the the fiscal 23 time window?

(What months)

Well. Since KSP2 is planning to be released in 2022 that gives us the windows of January 1st to December 31st. 

Now we can sorta reduce that by looking on what the KSP2 completed. It seems ground base colnies are alsmot donw, Kerbal textures, most parts (if not all), UI, Space Center, Explosions, and animations (if more please let me know). So maybe January 1st to July 5th. 

And with Dev blogs and videos this slows us down. Take time to film the devs talking. So maybe January 1st to August 23rd.

So KSP2 should release in 2022 but we are assuming there are no hiccups in the way. 

16 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

What is the the fiscal 23 time window?

(What months)

Assuming the same dates as previous years, April 1st, 2022 through March 31, 2023.

1 hour ago, Dr. Kerbal said:

So maybe January 1st to July 5th. 

And with Dev blogs and videos this slows us down. Take time to film the devs talking. So maybe January 1st to August 23rd.

Someone pointed to me they already do Show and Tell already without us, so don't expect it to slow down progress.

My best guess at this point is, we don't know. It's still quite far out to make a realistic estimated release date, and we don't know too much on how development is going we are only getting a taste of what's happening

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, Polaris0352 said:

It will release when it releases, and no sooner. Remember that a watched pot never boils. If you are able to distract yourself with something else, it truly helps pass the time. Perhaps playing KSP?

True. If ksp 2 comes out 3rd or 4th quarter, it is less than a year away, which is hype, but also means it is close and we can pass the time.

7 hours ago, Nirgal said:

27 April 2022 would be nice. KSP1 (1.0) released on that day in 2015.

That'd be pretty neat, releasing on the 7-year anniversary of KSP 1.0.  We'll see if T2 is lax enough to let a release date be dictated by an anniversary. 

In addition to that, as @TLTay and @Dr. Kerbal have discussed, the release window according to the Take-Two  earnings report is FY 2023 and the general release window is Calendar Year 2022 - which means a narrowed release window of April 1st to December 31st. 

8 hours ago, Ahres said:

That'd be pretty neat, releasing on the 7-year anniversary of KSP 1.0.  We'll see if T2 is lax enough to let a release date be dictated by an anniversary. 

In addition to that, as @TLTay and @Dr. Kerbal have discussed, the release window according to the Take-Two  earnings report is FY 2023 and the general release window is Calendar Year 2022 - which means a narrowed release window of April 1st to December 31st. 

Finally I get metioned about this but yes. True. 

No offense intended for anyone. This is not official information, just a guess. 

I have read Take-Two Interactive’s reports and it seems Private Division and T2 seem to be more focused on games that have a larger community. They seem to be releasing more information for games like Civilization and NBA. Those games have a huge community and getting the players support and their money. And with the devs report it seems that the developers of Kerbal Space Program 2 are halfway done. It seems they have finished most of the planet textures and basic movements. As we saw they posted dev updates on graphics, planets, parts, and etcetera. However it seems like there seems to be a lot missing and KSP2 releasing in early 2022 or late 2021 is however unlikely. It seems there is too much to be done for this game to be done by the winter. Who knows I could be wrong, the devs could be all following us with late news and in reality they are actually fully done and just cleaning bugs. But that's probably unlikely. It all depends though. The checklist has a lot o f holes and question marks as we don't know what completed and not. The team could just be working on colonization right now and the system has not been planned but I don't know. We will just have to wait for more information. There are too many holes and not enough information. But it seems that mid 2022 and late 2022 seem like possible release windows (or dates). Tell me if there's more information that could pinpoint the release.