Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

On 11/5/2020 at 6:17 PM, UomoCapra said:

I
know this is frustrating, especially considering that this isn’t the first time we’ve adjusted our schedule.

I literally could not care less about a later release date - hell, push it to 2023 if it guarantees we get an actually finished and tested product.

There's just way too many half-assed games (and/or DLC) being released these days.
(the most prominent of these flat out failures of a product I'm aware of is Elite Dangerous' "Odyssey"... please don't pull an FDev ^^)

Just my 2c :)

On 9/1/2021 at 8:13 PM, Polaris0352 said:

It will release when it releases, and no sooner. Remember that a watched pot never boils. If you are able to distract yourself with something else, it truly helps pass the time. Perhaps playing KSP?

I am always amused when people use this phrase to mean 'the thing we want to happen will not happen until we look away.'  You watch the pot, specifically so that it doesn't boil.  The pot NOT boiling IS the goal.  "A watched pot never boils' is not a way to say focusing on something makes it take longer.   It is a way to express that if you pay attention well enough, disaster will not happen (the pot will not boil over and cause a mess); you'll see signs of it pitching before it boils.   

In other words, if you pay attention properly, you avoid calamity.  If you watch the pot, it won't boil over when you're not looking, and douse the flame, and make a mess.  More apt to the phrase used, would be for the developers to watch the fanbase as closely as a pot, that the interest and hype they have built does not boil over on them, and ruin what may have been a nice cup of tea by releasing the steam (to steam (aha!)) too late.

If you ever want to know where turns of phrase come from, I know quite a few of them.  Sailing contributed a lot to our list of cliches.  
For example, "Cat's outta the bag" is not 'Hey, the secret's out."  We use it that way, but it was actually an announcement.  A warning.  Ship's Bosun's used to keep the cat-o-nine tails whips in sacks they hung from their belts.  If you were slated for punishment due to an infraction, a fellow sailor may pass to you that the 'cat's outta the bag for you'.  The whip was in the Bosun's hand, and you were next on the list to be beaten.  

Another is "There'll be the devil to pay."  Often we use this as a way to say that we will need to pay some penance for a misdeed or hard choice.   The full phrase, however, was meant to imply something different: 
"There's only half a bottle of pitch, and the whole devil to pay."   In the sailing world of the 1700s, the 'devil-board' was so called as it was the longest seam between boards on the ship, located just at the waterline.  To 'pay in' caulk, or hot boiling pitch, you had to lay over the side while the ship was heeled opposite to have the seam out of the water, and you'd have to pay, or lay in, the whole seam at once.   Any stops, and the pitch would cure with a hard end that would allow water to seep in.   The saying, "There's only half a bottle of pitch, and the whole devil to pay,' meant that you faced a long, arduous task, and did not have the resources to afford any mistake, if you had enough to begin with at all.   Whenever tough problems arose, 'There'll be the devil to pay' was a way to express just how much you weren't looking forward to such a difficult task, as everyone understood the reference of having to pay in such a seam.   As it migrated to land, people simply associated the phrase with paying penance from a dogmatic religious expression.    The phrase was never about having to atone later, but about facing the reality of a hard, long job ahead, which demanded focus and precision.

Thank you for coming to my Ted Talk.

Edited by Bosun

3 hours ago, alphaprior said:

I hope KSP2 to be released early 2022. Cause I'm losing interest.. I said ok they should take their time for a polished product but delay after delay it looks like never coming. they should deliver even if they have to keep some parts for later.

I get what you are saying. A similar situation has veen happening with my beloved XFL, which was set to return Feb. 2022, but is now delayed (2023). 

3 hours ago, alphaprior said:

I hope KSP2 to be released early 2022. Cause I'm losing interest.. I said ok they should take their time for a polished product but delay after delay it looks like never coming. they should deliver even if they have to keep some parts for later.

I don't care how many times it gets delayed as long as it comes out completely baked. I just think Intercept would have an easier time keeping players interested if they'd bother showing more gameplay, rather than dripfeeding the fanbase vague 2 second clips and screenshots.

1 hour ago, Bej Kerman said:

I don't care how many times it gets delayed as long as it comes out completely baked. I just think Intercept would have an easier time keeping players interested if they'd bother showing more gameplay, rather than dripfeeding the fanbase vague 2 second clips and screenshots.

There is really no need to keep those people interested at the moment, as they will become re-interested once the marketing campaign begins.

Guys, it does suck that ksp2 isn’t gonna be here till 2022. But think about it this way! It was announced back in 2019, and it is now 2021. Two years have gone by, with 1(ish) remaining. So we’re over 2/3rds of the way there! So close, just a little bit longer now.

Also, we have been waiting for Half-life 3 for 16 years now! So this ain’t that bad

(Half-life 2 came out in 2004, one year before my birth. So in a way, I have been waiting my entire life for HL3)

2 hours ago, Lewie said:

Guys, it does suck that ksp2 isn’t gonna be here till 2022. But think about it this way! It was announced back in 2019, and it is now 2021. Two years have gone by, with 1(ish) remaining. So we’re over 2/3rds of the way there! So close, just a little bit longer now.

Also, we have been waiting for Half-life 3 for 16 years now! So this ain’t that bad

(Half-life 2 came out in 2004, one year before my birth. So in a way, I have been waiting my entire life for HL3)

Like the positivity. :) 

14 hours ago, Lewie said:

Indeed 2019 but I think they had already started before the announcement, anyway I watched a video on youtube yesterday and made a comparison KSP2 and SpaceX. Unfortunatelly I don't have the link.
On 2019 SpaceX had a tiny experimental ship and where they are today eh? Of course they have billions nowhere to KSP2 budget but it's a game damn it.
Another thing is that they keep adding things making it greater and larger cool but...  those things keep adding also time and hence the delays. When KSP was released was a very basic game yet it was succesful and of course over the time they kept adding  stuff and improving the game. I wish they were doing the same now having all the experience from KSP1 build a good robust game and keep extra stuff for updates or DLC.

Edited by alphaprior

On 9/13/2021 at 11:22 PM, gilflo said:

It looks like KSP 2 will not be available on Mac OSX, that’s what i see on Private division.  If it’s true it’s a shame for all Mac players. I just hope i am wrong!!

One of the many reasons I don't buy a mac. I'm a gamer I need a high performance system and play anything I want. 

On 9/17/2021 at 5:57 AM, alphaprior said:

One of the many reasons I don't buy a mac. I'm a gamer I need a high performance system and play anything I want. 

I'm a gamer and I own a Mac - and until recently, I was able to play most fo the games I wanted.

Granted, a MacMini is not able to play AAA games on the max settings (right now, I doubt it would play even on the min settings), but this machine now is pretty old - but I still can play all my favorite games using Wine - faster than when I had played them on my (at that time) gamer machine.

MacMinis are pretty capable machines (at the time I bought mine, it toasted all the Windows machines I had available), and if you are wiling to burn some money, adding external GPUs is an option.

But all of that is secondary - the main reason why Mac has fewer and fewer options on gaming is not hardware. It's the software - Apple is screwing up royally the eco  system, betting they will score again the Stunt they did when they migrated from PowerPC to Intel.

They are probably right, but it will have a toll though. Last time they did the stunt, the industry was not pushing Linux so hard as nowadays.

(and yeah, I'm using my last Mac machine - I don't think I will ever buy another).

Edited by Lisias
tyops, as usulla...

On 9/1/2021 at 11:13 PM, Polaris0352 said:

It will release when it releases, and no sooner. Remember that a watched pot never boils. If you are able to distract yourself with something else, it truly helps pass the time. Perhaps playing KSP?

I'm finally about to land on the moon in RSS...

5 minutes ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

IMO: The blame falls on T2.

It certainly does to an extent. If I remember correctly they were probably on track for a 2021 release by the time the studio switch happened in December 2019-Early 2020. What makes me say the blame doesn't completely fall on T2 is the video that Intercept put out after that whole situation  claiming that they were pursuing a "more ambitious vision" for the game. This probably explains the delays better than just T2 meddling but it does make me concerned that the team might be trying to add too much to the game and are starting to lose focus. I still have faith in the passion behind the team and I look forward to seeing what they will put out.