Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

Watching all these suggestions and topics I've got an inspiration and great idea for the devs for KSP2!

Of course, we do not know how much money they have and what budget is for the game they have right now, but I think they need to implement new technologies to their new game because as much as I fell in love with the first game of the series I think this is a just a matter of surviving on the market. In case we already have lots of things to see in free space. But what do you think images of earth are implemented in the game? I think satellite imager producer would be a good new feature that would be implemented in-game. For example, we can have some aftermaths after our launches on the different planets and see through the shots of what happened after an unsuccessful launch. 

I do think this is a good idea, but kinda controversial.

Edited by Jack White

• 2 weeks later...

I'm all for the devs to not rush KSP2 in order to get the most polished build we can get, but let's be honest here for a minute.

Originally the game was announced to release in 2020 (which obviously was impossible). Since then, a couple more delays occured, and now we're essentially at the end of 2021 (which was the announced release date previous to this thread being created almost exactly 1 year ago).

It's gonna be 2022 in two months, and we still haven't heard a confirmation about a release date announcement for the near future, which I think completely rules out a release date in Take-Two's Fiscal Year 2022 (which ends on March 2022 iirc).

We're either looking at a Fall 2022 release, or an internally confirmed, awaiting for public announcement new delay to FY 2023.

I love the fact that we're getting Show and Tells every other Fridays and feature videos every few months, but come on.

Give us some info about when can we expect to hear some info, please @Nate Simpson

Edited by Lijazos

5 hours ago, Lijazos said:

I'm all for the devs to not rush KSP2 in order to get the most polished build we can get, but let's be honest here for a minute.

Originally the game was announced to release in 2020 (which obviously was impossible). Since then, a couple more delays occured, and now we're essentially at the end of 2021 (which was the announced release date previous to this thread being created almost exactly 1 year ago).

It's gonna be 2022 in two months, and we still haven't heard a confirmation about a release date announcement for the near future, which I think completely rules out a release date in Take-Two's Fiscal Year 2022 (which ends on March 2022 iirc).

We're either looking at a Fall 2022 release, or an internally confirmed, awaiting for public announcement new delay to FY 2023.

I love the fact that we're getting Show and Tells every other Fridays and feature videos every few months, but come on.

Give us some info about when can we expect to hear some info, please @Nate Simpson

Im predicting summer or fall 2022

5 hours ago, Lijazos said:

I think they already confirmed it's coming out in fiscal year 2023.

My personal guess as far as advertising/release date goes is that things will continue roughly as they are now (maybe we get a new feature video in the meantime) until about February, at which point KSP 2 will appear at PAX East (or whichever convention happens around that time) with a new gameplay trailer, and likely a more precise release date--I'm also guessing summer or fall.

Edited by TheOrbitalMechanic
phrasing

On 11/3/2021 at 4:15 PM, fragtzack said:

Seems most likely the release will be 2023 - 2024. The original release plans were too fast for a quality product. I can wait :)

Why not 2035? 2036! 2036, no one offers more? 2037?

2040!

I know it has been a few months without a delay announced, but let's not start make up our own ones, shall we?

I just looked at take two's most recent quarterly report. This is from the report:

Rockstar Games

Red Dead Redemption Online: Blood Money Update

PS4, Xbox One, PC

July 13, 2021

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto Online: Los Santos Tuners Update

PS4, Xbox One, PC

July 20, 2021

Private Division

Hades (physical release)

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X

August 13, 2021

Private Division

The Outer Worlds: Murder on Eridanos (DLC)

Switch

September 8, 2021

NBA 2K22

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC, Switch

September 10, 2021

Private Division

Kerbal Space Program Enhanced Edition

PS5, Xbox Series X|S

September 24, 2021

Mafia III: Definitive Edition

Stadia

October 1, 2021

Nordeus

Top Eleven 2022

iOs, Android

October 11, 2021

PGA TOUR 2K21 Baller Edition

PS4, Xbox One, PC

October 14, 2021

NBA 2K22 Arcade Edition

Apple Arcade

October 19, 2021

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition (digital release)

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch

November 11, 2021

Borderlands 3 Ultimate Edition (physical only)

PS5, Xbox Series X

November 12, 2021

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition (physical release)

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X, Switch

December 7, 2021

Private Division

OlliOlli World

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Switch (digital only)

Q4 Fiscal 2022

Tiny Tina's Wonderlands

PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, PC

March 25, 2022

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto V: Expanded and Enhanced

PS5, Xbox Series X|S

March 2022

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto Online – Standalone

March 2022

WWE 2K22

TBA

March 2022

Rockstar Games

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy — The Definitive Edition (mobile release)

iOS, Android

First Half of Calendar 2022

Marvel's Midnight Suns

Second Half of Calendar 2022 (Fiscal 2023)

Private Division

Kerbal Space Program 2

Fiscal 2023

As you can see, KSP2 is still mentioned as Fy23, but you will also note that everything else is given either a date, or a narrower time range. See that the list progresses in date as you go down. I'm not liking the way this is looking for early 2022 release.

Edited by TLTay
E

4 hours ago, TLTay said:

As you can see, KSP2 is still mentioned as Fy23, but you will also note that everything else is given either a date, or a narrower time range. See that the list progresses in date as you go down. I'm not liking the way this is looking for early 2022 release.

Nice find.

Realistically I never expected it before April (when FY 23 starts) anyway.  This just seems to confirm what many have been speculating for a long time.  That a summer or autumn release is most likely

I like how everyone here seems to have no faith in this games current release time, I mean people have been working on it since at least 2018 and most of the delay's are from external factors, and yet people still want the game to be released in (very) late 2022 or even be delayed by another year (or more ;.;).

The concerns for the game being buggy or messy are getting a little far fetched, not saying that the dev's should rush, or trying to disrespect the people on either side of the release argument or the actual KSP team.

But at this point we shouldn't be concerned about the game being buggy or rushed (unless there are some unseen factors behind the scenes as there sometimes are) and being in need of more year long delay's.

Edited by Minmus Taster

On 11/10/2021 at 7:18 PM, Minmus Taster said:

I like how everyone here seems to have no faith in this games current release time, I mean people have been working on it since at least 2018 and most of the delay's are from external factors, and yet people still want the game to be released in (very) late 2022 or even be delayed by another year (or more ;.;).

The concerns for the game being buggy or messy are getting a little far fetched, not saying that the dev's should rush, or trying to disrespect the people on either side of the release argument or the actual KSP team.

But at this point we shouldn't be concerned about the game being buggy or rushed (unless there are some unseen factors behind the scenes as there sometimes are) and being in need of more year long delay's.

My frustration is that there are very few games out currently that I'd be interested in playing.  KSP2 is something to look forward to, but on a very selfish note... I'd like it sooner rather than perfect.  Also, if its delay is due to forcing it to work on consoles... Pfft Consoles.

Frankly, I keep going through the vids they've put out about KSP2 and fan-girling a bit.

Love the direction they're going, the potential, and excited to play (even if they do a Steam Early Access / Not A Finished Product launch for PC only, I'd be happy).

Very few publishers would agree to pour money for dev studio for more than five years before a game is out. It's usually way less. And with development of ksp2 starting about 2017 (few hints point to that year), even with all delays, 2022 is the upper limit. Besides, all things considered, 5 years is A LOT for game development. Most big titles come in 3 or 4. And you know, the whole purpose of being a publisher is to make money. If development costs start to exceed expected gains... As would happen after funding the team for over half a decade (and gamedev usually means nice salary), the interest in the game would start to drop as people would get bored of waiting... That last delay was undoubtedly discussed with whoever from T2/PD takes care of Intercept, but I wouldn't expect them agree to yet another push.

About exact dates, they usually don't appear sooner than 6 months before release. That's about when games reach final phases of development, maybe some polishing, and have to be well tested before time comes. So, with fiscal year starting in April, we could expect an exact date drop anywhere from now to october next year. Depends on, probably, when a big gaming event happens.

We're getting closer and closer to 2022, and no further delays have been announced in a long time (in fact, in over a year already), I say they're on a good track for on time release.

As amazing and helpful as this community is, y'all guys are VERY, VERY pessimistic. Have some faith in the team, would ya?

Edited by The Aziz

On 11/5/2020 at 10:21 AM, DeltaDizzy said:

At least for me, KSP 2 being polished, stable, and well-rounded is worth the wait.

For me as well!

On 11/5/2020 at 11:00 AM, severedsolo said:

We should be encouraging developers to finish their games before expecting us to spend £60 on it.

Agreed 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, pss88 said:

One year to go and it's still "Pre-Alpha"? You're doing it wrong.

Vague concern floats in from time to time, but it might be a lot more done than they are showing. I remember them showing some actual gameplay back in 2019 that looked like a complete game (granted it looked like KSP one and a half and not KSP2), so...

I think they're keeping the really impressive stuff for the end.

Friendly reminder that ksp1 was in "alpha" state from 2011 to late 2014. Then it switched to beta for half a year and boom, 1.0. and yet, still actively developed for 6 years.

Meanwhile (actually a bit earlier) Minecraft was in alpha(-ish) from 2009 to late 2010, then in beta for almost a year. And it's still being developed a decade after official release.

At the same time, development of Beamng Drive started around 2012 and it's still in alpha.

But they all were early access titles. For Intercept, prealpha could mean anything, as alpha and beta phases may take a month, depending on their needs. The game looks playable, but maybe not complete. It seems like most of the things are in place, but perhaps not entirely polished. Nobody knows. And nobody knows how old is footage presented to us.

5 hours ago, pss88 said:

KSP 2 has a lot of work done already. We know some of the game is at a playable state already. The only reason it is in pre-alph is because the game has so many peices that need to come together... but when the game is stitched together it should be close to completion. I hope my explanation makes sense.

6 hours ago, pss88 said:

6 hours ago, TLTay said:

Vague concern floats in from time to time, but it might be a lot more done than they are showing. I remember them showing some actual gameplay back in 2019 that looked like a complete game (granted it looked like KSP one and a half and not KSP2), so...

I think they're keeping the really impressive stuff for the end.

1 hour ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

KSP 2 has a lot of work done already. We know some of the game is at a playable state already. The only reason it is in pre-alph is because the game has so many peices that need to come together... but when the game is stitched together it should be close to completion. I hope my explanation makes sense.

No one talks about it but the Tutorial Shader show & tell doesn't have a "Pre-Alpha Gameplay" anywhere on it. And that's the smoothest KSP gameplay explosion that I've ever seen. I think things are more polished than we know.