Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

2 hours ago, gussi111 said:

in half a year they will be entering 4th year of development, surely most things are finished by now?

I think most things are finished now, and their is a lot of "proof" if you dig for it. Now, I believe they are in that weired phase where you have to polish and change stuff. Lets hope their are no more delays.

If there's a hint suggesting it, it's this: Certificate.jpg

Posted in one of dev diaries. You can see December 2017. I imagine the initial development started not long after the IP was bought by T2, which also happened in 2017. And it makes sense that they would want to have a sequel after spending a lot of money on something that is basically a 6 year old game.

Interesting bit of info: I was looking up the composer for KSP2 for anothet forum post, and his linkedin said he was hired in March of 2020. Recall that in mid 2019, they said we'd be getting an early 2020 release. So this lends more to the idea that they got a lot more interest tha expected and decided to massively increase scope and detail. 

On 2/9/2022 at 4:57 PM, TLTay said:

Interesting bit of info: I was looking up the composer for KSP2 for anothet forum post, and his linkedin said he was hired in March of 2020. Recall that in mid 2019, they said we'd be getting an early 2020 release. So this lends more to the idea that they got a lot more interest tha expected and decided to massively increase scope and detail. 

Let me refer you back to Nate's June 2020 "Hi Everybody" post and this one:

December 2019 was Chaos month.  The game had 'been in the works' for two years.  It was only that previous September that we'd all seen the announce trailer, demonstrating much of the creative direction:

(From PAX 2019)  Yes, while it was largely cinematic CGI, rather than gameplay footage - it showed the promise of what we've all been excited about.

Late last year, Take-Two agreed to extend Star Theory’s development deadline by six months to add new content to the game. That kicked off a new round of contract negotiations. All seemed well, said the people who worked on the game, until Dec. 6, when the project was pulled and the LinkedIn messages went out. 

This was (I'm guessing) shortly after the favorable reception from the September PAX reveal.  So even then, they needed 6 months more to add content.  

Then came the shakeup.  We can probably assume an almost complete halt in development, and then more delay with building and onboarding the new team.

Despite this, here was some expectation even in the early days after the kerfluffle dust settled that Fall 2021 would be the release.

Mind you, that was ambitious, and in the early days of the Covid pandemic.

However... given that... If "Fall 2021" was the initial target, there's good potential that the project only slipped by 6 months or a year (Fall 2022).

So - your guy's getting picked up in March of 2020 looks like a regular step in the production scheme... and a lucky one for him; hiring went on a hiatus for the next several months.  His snagging a job in March?  Very Kerbal.  (Hope the music is AwesomeSauce!)

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

On 2/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

Absolutely, and it will, but we're not there yet. If you look back at late 2019, there were tons of interviews and articles on gaming sites about KSP 2, but that was when they thought it would be releasing in under 6 months. Then the game got hit with a bunch of delays, and marketing tapered off, because there's no point in building up a ton of hype for a thing that's still a year off. You don't reveal the end of the movie in the first trailer, if you get what I'm saying. (At least, not if you're good at making trailers.) We don't know exactly when a big marketing push will happen, but a big marketing push will happen at some point. Keep an eye on PAX East, though. Nothing's official, of course, but a reveal there wouldn't be out of the question.

TL;DR: Yes, some of the marketing has been lackluster, but that probably says less about the state of the game, and more about the marketing decisions of the developers.

That's true I didn't consider the release date at that time.

On 2/5/2022 at 1:23 PM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

Basically, there's a needle to thread, where they don't want to have people completely forget about the game, but they don't want to show too much too early, or else there won't be anything to show off when marketing actually kicks into full gear. They're probably farther along than they've shown.

Imo, and of course this is my opinion only really as a veteran gamer/consumer since I have no experience large scale game development. But I don't think KSP2 is the game that has to really worry about spoilers too early. KSP survived on such a simple mission sandbox concept but yet such a complex mechanic behind it. I don't think there's really much to spoil with most the concept. The adventure mode, absolutely. But I want to see base progression on planets. I want to see the harvesting of the planet and how that further pushes progression. I want to see what orbital/extraplanetary vehicle assembly looks through the process, not just model concepts.  I understand not wanting to release  things too early to avoid releasing things that wont be in the final product but I've prayed for an episode to cover base building and colonizing completely because I'm sure you could make an entire episode of that.

I understand that no company would completely halt production because that's losing money. But I just hope for a release date soon and ramped up hype.

I'm closely following a different game (that is about to release this week) and lemme tell you: Aside from first announcement trailer (2020) and a single gameplay video, most of the marketing campaign started in like, November. They started off with podcasts to explore the game lore a bit further. Then, around new year they began showing some short snippets about enemies we'll encounter. Then a big story trailer happened, a month ago. After that, only two weeks ago we learned about all side activities in the game. And finally, cinematic trailer last week. That was it. Most of the reveals began appearing 4 months from release. Intercept have shown us a lot, while keeping the best for when full campaign is on. Be patient, there's a lot of 2022 left.

13 hours ago, The Aziz said:

I'm closely following a different game (that is about to release this week) and lemme tell you: Aside from first announcement trailer (2020) and a single gameplay video, most of the marketing campaign started in like, November. They started off with podcasts to explore the game lore a bit further. Then, around new year they began showing some short snippets about enemies we'll encounter. Then a big story trailer happened, a month ago. After that, only two weeks ago we learned about all side activities in the game. And finally, cinematic trailer last week. That was it. Most of the reveals began appearing 4 months from release. Intercept have shown us a lot, while keeping the best for when full campaign is on. Be patient, there's a lot of 2022 left.

This is good to know. Who knew that The Aziz being a fan of HFW would refine my expectations for KSP2?

Now if that full campaign would just start already....

On 2/16/2022 at 1:39 AM, The Aziz said:

You can't do that and not tell us what game this is!  The only "biggie" I know of landing this week is the new Total War installment...

Just now, Chilkoot said:

You can't do that and not tell us what game this is!  The only "biggie" I know of landing this week is the new Total War installment...

Pretty sure @The Aziz is hyped for Horizon Forbidden West.

• 2 weeks later...

So, assuming things continue to go like this, we're looking at anywhere between April 1st to December 31st. I'm hoping it's some time in April, but there's been no announcement yet, so it's likely going to be closer to November, from my personal experience.

2 hours ago, Missingno200 said:

So, assuming things continue to go like this, we're looking at anywhere between April 1st to December 31st. I'm hoping it's some time in April, but there's been no announcement yet, so it's likely going to be closer to November, from my personal experience.

I think we have to give up on a release in April at this point. The marketing for KSP2 is pretty minimal, and I'd expect it to pick up in the month or two leading up to release.

35 minutes ago, Ahres said:

I think we have to give up on a release in April at this point. The marketing for KSP2 is pretty minimal, and I'd expect it to pick up in the month or two leading up to release.

Well according to my worryingly obsessive predictions the next (and possibly final) feature video is coming up in a couple weeks at most and PAX East is just around the corner, so we could see the promotional material ramping up again with those two things followed by a release some time in the next five or six months.

20 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Well according to my worryingly obsessive predictions the next (and possibly final) feature video is coming up in a couple weeks at most and PAX East is just around the corner, so we could see the promotional material ramping up again with those two things followed by a release some time in the next five or six months.

Haha! It comes and goes for me, but I've definitely been obsessed trying to get any extra scoop of KSP2 info I can get. We're definitely on the brink of the next Feature Video, but I've been assuming it gets released around the time of PAX. Also, I missed it in a very early Nate Simpson interview but he said there will be a multiplayer feature video. So it seems that we've got Colonies next, and then Multiplayer [hopefully right before release, which is hopefully before the end of (the northern-hemisphere's ) summer].

17 minutes ago, Ahres said:

I missed it in a very early Nate Simpson interview but he said there will be a multiplayer feature video. So it seems that we've got Colonies next, and then Multiplayer

Where did that info come from? sounds exciting