Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

From what I've heard they are planning to release the next feature video and annouce the release date after the feature video aka at the end of video but thats what i've heard and samething I heard is that the feature video will release in april but no clue if some of that is legit or not.

11 hours ago, obnox twin said:

From what I've heard they are planning to release the next feature video and annouce the release date after the feature video aka at the end of video but thats what i've heard and samething I heard is that the feature video will release in april but no clue if some of that is legit or not.

Been awhile since we have had a juicy unsubstantiated rumour on KSP2. Fairly decent guess though. 

16 hours ago, obnox twin said:

5 hours ago, MechBFP said:

Been awhile since we have had a juicy unsubstantiated rumour on KSP2. Fairly decent guess though. 

@obnox twin I'm not sure how you would've just heard this somewhere and it being legit. But you may be thinking of a comment I made a while ago that said almost exactly that. 

I'm thinking a mid-late October to early December 2022 release to meet the winter holiday market if nothing has slipped significantly.  If stuff has slipped, I'd not be surprised at something like May-July 2023.

35 minutes ago, Entropian said:

I'm thinking a mid-late October to early December 2022 release to meet the winter holiday market if nothing has slipped significantly

Sadly, I agree. On the inside I’m still hoping for a late April release, but by the looks of the posts/dev diaries, it’s not going to happen. We could get an official release date at PAX 2022 though.

I don't really know if the games industry has release seasons? I would guess that maybe the summer, just before the school holidays, and winter, just before Christmas would be good times to release? Or would they go for any time, just whenever it's ready?

I also think that even though the previous videos have been spread out a bit, wouldn't they bring down the time between releasing those to ramp up the hype? I think someone said the feature videos were something like 6months apart, but they wouldn't do that in the run up to release would they? They'd be releasing more and more, so the time between releases should come down? Then there'd maybe be a beta / demo version, and then the full release?

On 3/11/2022 at 9:14 PM, WelshSteW said:

I don't really know if the games industry has release seasons? I would guess that maybe the summer, just before the school holidays, and winter, just before Christmas would be good times to release? Or would they go for any time, just whenever it's ready?

I also think that even though the previous videos have been spread out a bit, wouldn't they bring down the time between releasing those to ramp up the hype? I think someone said the feature videos were something like 6months apart, but they wouldn't do that in the run up to release would they? They'd be releasing more and more, so the time between releases should come down? Then there'd maybe be a beta / demo version, and then the full release?

It is very depending I've seen some games post in the early months but I believe is that they will release when everything is stable and stuff.

On 11/5/2020 at 11:17 AM, UomoCapra said:

Hello, all.

Gonna rip the band-aid off fast here: Kerbal Space Program 2 will release in 2022 instead of fall 2021. I
know this is frustrating, especially considering that this isn’t the first time we’ve adjusted our schedule.

We knew we were taking on an immense technical and creative challenge when we started this project.
We’ve heard time and again from this community that quality is paramount, and we feel the same way.
It’s not enough to deliver a bunch of new features – those features have to be woven together into a
stable, polished whole. We’re creating a reliable foundation on which players and modders alike can
build for another decade or more. That involves solving problems that have never been solved before,
and that takes time.

We’ve got a team of talented people working every challenge from every angle, and because I’m lucky
enough to get a front row seat, I can see the huge leaps we’re making. It’s killing us how much of this we
have to keep under our hats until the game is released. We can’t express how much we're looking
forward to soaking up all your reactions and discoveries on that day.

In the meantime, we’ll keep posting cool images here to give you a taste of what’s in store. We will also
continue to release feature videos and developer diaries that go more in-depth on specific areas of the
game, and hopefully those will help 2021 to go by a little faster. Stay tuned for a new dev diary coming
soon, as well as a new Feature Video this winter.

Thanks as always for sharing our commitment to making KSP2 as great as we all know it has to be.

-Nate Simpson

Will Kerbal space program be at the future games show? 

Promise I'm not trying to instigate, or pick at old wounds but...

Wasn't there a point in time where the publisher or someone had gotten into some sort of mess with the dev team? That can set things back quite a bit... just sayin', I'm really looking forward to the game but they've had a lot of external challenges to deal with; publisher issues, Covid etc.

Looking forward to getting my hands on it but there's a lot going on these days.

24 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

Wasn't there a point in time where the publisher or someone had gotten into some sort of mess with the dev team? That can set things back quite a bit... just sayin', I'm really looking forward to the game but they've had a lot of external challenges to deal with; publisher issues, Covid etc.

Yup, back in late 2019, Take-Two (the publisher) pulled the KSP 2 contract from Star Theory (the original devs), and then gave it to a new in-house studio, Intercept Games. They also got a bunch of the original dev team to join the new studio, so there was a bunch of restructuring. It was an unscrupulous business move, but the actual quality/vision of the game seems to have been mostly unaffected (as per this post). The reorganization challenges after the studio switch was what led to a bunch of delays, but that was a while back, so they've had time to iron out all the issues. As far as I know, there is currently nothing that would indicate the current timeline is infeasible. :)

1 hour ago, jonescat010 said:

Will Kerbal space program be at the future games show? 

Hmm, could be! I'd bet on an appearance at PAX East myself, but I'll keep an eye on this one, too.

2 hours ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

Yup, back in late 2019, Take-Two (the publisher) pulled the KSP 2 contract from Star Theory (the original devs), and then gave it to a new in-house studio, Intercept Games. They also got a bunch of the original dev team to join the new studio, so there was a bunch of restructuring. It was an unscrupulous business move, but the actual quality/vision of the game seems to have been mostly unaffected (as per this post). The reorganization challenges after the studio switch was what led to a bunch of delays, but that was a while back, so they've had time to iron out all the issues. As far as I know, there is currently nothing that would indicate the current timeline is infeasible. :)

Hmm, could be! I'd bet on an appearance at PAX East myself, but I'll keep an eye on this one, too.

I hope so, id love to see some more gameplay

I also wonder if they will add warp drives to the game  which would be cool if they did but If they don't I wont be sad since the modders can do that