Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

6 hours ago, Ahres said:

Would a new feature video released within the next month or so that’s about colonies or multiplayer give you some faith in the game being released?

Yes. For a couple weeks, I think. :sticktongue:

9 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Even if we don't know everything, why should we? Surprises and discoveries are part of space exploration.

Agreed. But since not every surprise and discovery are pleasant, we have to acknowledge that a level of anxiety is unavoidable.

And, besides...

Spoiler

0mHJob3.jpeg

:)

On 4/1/2022 at 8:32 AM, Minmus Taster said:

Feature video 5 is out:

https://youtu.be/QDia3e12czc

Forum rules prevents me from commenting about. :sticktongue: (yeah, you caught me on this one!)

14 hours ago, DerZerschneider said:
I don't think it's a bad thing when people say we need 3 more years, but then, in my opinion, it should be communicated. I've felt like I've been stalled for a long time. It's not going against anyone personally, at any point, I think that the community/team (what I've seen of it) are great and believe that everyone is fully committed, but it doesn't help me, when i cant no longer trust the finshed product.

I feel your pain, I'm not too much optimistic on the matter neither.

But, on their defense, it's 2 or 3 years already that we are facing some excruciating consequences not only from now somewhat old problems (pandemics), but also about some very sad happenings around the Black Sea.

Silicon Shortage, disrupted supply chains, disrupted financial chains (and some things more that I don't want to talk about) are completely screwing up every and any plan to launch products in the World, Games included.

Besides the natural technical difficulties (aggravated by a terrible starting that ended up with the sacking of Space.Theory), there're also changes on the projected consumer's zeit geist that will just not concretize anymore. Lots of users were not able to update their rigs, others did but expended too much money on the process (and so are a bit less prone on expend yet more on new software), a significantly fraction of the World are not being able to receive money or pay for International goods (including Software), energy is expensive as hell nowadays, and this is pressuring the prices for Electrical bills on the whole World (and, so, powerful computers are being unpreferred by energy efficient alternatives for day-to-day gaming - and a KSP session can take hours and hours!!!).

All of this may affect negatively the development of a Software Project, and it's not impossible that the Publisher would choose to delay the launch not due technical problems, but because he's aiming to launch it on a more favourable time.

So, I'm kinda expect a new delay on the launching date if things doesn't get better in the next 6 months - and if it happens, it will be a last-second decision (because everybody is looking on how things develop on the World). What doesn't means the game is dead, it's exactly the contrary - would the game would be a dead end, they would launch it no matter what because there would be nothing to loose.

Weird enough: if the "worst" happens, it's because we can hope for the "best" later. :P 

Edited by Lisias
some entertaining grammars made less entertaining.

22 hours ago, Deddly said:

It's all cool, people are free to express their concerns here. One thing you might want to remember, though, is that several members of the community, including Scott Manley and @Snark, have actually seen the game running. Since the original announcement, more features have been added. As Bej says, the scope has increased.

You're not paranoid though, @DerZerschneider - large projects by bigger companies have failed in the past, and if the delay concerns you, you are completely within your rights to restrain your optimism. Being optimistic or pessimistic won't change the outcome, but the team currently working on KSP are passionate about what they are doing - that's a rare benefit to any project, so I can't imagine it not making it all the way to release. 

@Snark has actually seen it!?

On 2/16/2022 at 1:39 AM, The Aziz said:

I'm closely following a different game (that is about to release this week) and lemme tell you: Aside from first announcement trailer (2020) and a single gameplay video, most of the marketing campaign started in like, November. They started off with podcasts to explore the game lore a bit further. Then, around new year they began showing some short snippets about enemies we'll encounter. Then a big story trailer happened, a month ago. After that, only two weeks ago we learned about all side activities in the game. And finally, cinematic trailer last week. That was it. Most of the reveals began appearing 4 months from release. Intercept have shown us a lot, while keeping the best for when full campaign is on. Be patient, there's a lot of 2022 left.

I understand but I don't think KSP can really apply to a lot of other games even if its in the same genre of sandbox creation etc. Knowing KSP, other than Gary's Mod (a game made to create games), you can't say there's been too many games that can top how much the community has put time into a game to influence its growth. Especially with it being one of the most modded games I know. There's not much that can be released about the game that we don't already know. I'm fine without an insight into Adventure mode but I would love to here how about colony building will be implemented. One of the biggest things that hyped me up was hearing "there will be more reasons to land on a planet than just higher research points and to just say you did." Mining on another planet for certain technologies, resources, etc sounds awesome.

We've got a lot of technical dev diaries that make the code guys happy, but I need more pictures because the articles filled with words hurts brain.

Can we do a release date announcement theory as well?

I'll go for no big special announcement, it'll just be there at the end of one of the Show And Tell videos. Then obviously the following Monday they'll do the 'proper' announcement, press release etc.

The more I read about this fiscal year stuff the more confused I get :D 

For starters, fiscal 2023 actually starts in 2022.

But, the people making KSP2 are in the US, right? So the US governmental / federal fiscal year starts in October (see here). But, if you look at the bottom of this chart, the US corporate fiscal year is Jan - Dec. 

But each state can set its own fiscal year, and most of them have it July - June (see the first link).

So I have to say, I have no freaking idea what the release window actually is.

Edited by WelshSteW

20 minutes ago, WelshSteW said:

The more I read about this fiscal year stuff the more confused I get :D 

For starters, fiscal 2023 actually starts in 2022.

But, the people making KSP2 are in the US, right? So the US governmental / federal fiscal year starts in October (see here). But, if you look at the bottom of this chart, the US corporate fiscal year is Jan - Dec. 

But each state can set its own fiscal year, and most of them have it July - June (see the first link).

So I have to say, I have no freaking idea what the release window actually is.

A US corp can define its fiscal year starting at any point within some lead time restrictions from the gov.  But typically if a US corp uses the phrase "fiscal year" without qualification then it often means the federal fiscal year.  I think, that is what I recall.  I was never an accountant but coded some tools for that dept at a job once upon a time.  If a corp uses a different fiscal year than Jan-Dec or the federal then it is usually to accommodate a yearly cycle in their line of biz.  Like retail typically does not use Jan-Dec as the holiday season sales on top of closing out the year's accounting  is just too much chaos

4 hours ago, WelshSteW said:

I'll go for no big special announcement, it'll just be there at the end of one of the Show And Tell videos. Then obviously the following Monday they'll do the 'proper' announcement, press release etc.

Im guessing in the dev. video episode after next. 

Personally my theory is that it will go on sale sometime around Halloween.

As for release date announcement theories, that should be starting any time now, if the "6 months before release is ideal" idea that seems to be prevalent on the forums holds true.

Then again, they could do it as little as a month before release, to make darn sure that they don't have to delay the game again for some silly reason AFTER they announce a release date.

Either way, the "influencer" crowd (streamers and youtubers) that do KSP 1 videos and streams would obviously get sent copies of the game early, because that seems to happen for literally every new video game these days.

To be quite honest I'm surprised we haven't been getting more "leaked" kinds of content, what with how enthusiastic the developers (and the entire forums) seem to be about KSP 2.
Not that I'm complaining about the lack of leaks in the slightest! I'd much rather that the flow of information is well controlled by the developers than have something like KSP 2 code be discovered in the margins of KSP 1's files.

30 minutes ago, SciMan said:

Not that I'm complaining about the lack of leaks in the slightest! I'd much rather that the flow of information is well controlled by the developers than have something like KSP 2 code be discovered in the margins of KSP 1's files.

Any particular reason?

If the leaks happen, and they're proven to be from an official source (and accurate at the time) and then game development continues and the game developers decide to do something that makes those leaks not reflect the final state of the game, it would be reasonable to expect at least some people to get angry, and that would be reflected in lost sales.
I don't want that happening, the game developers are doing quite a lot of work on a project they are passionate about, and they deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

Besides, it's much better to learn about "cut content" when the developers are not busy developing the game and have plenty of time to explain just why they cut whatever content ended up on the "cutting room floor" as it were, rather than to learn about the content being cut by a rushed statement prompted by a leak, with the explanation likely not being as finely detailed as people would like.

EDIT:
Of course, following KSP 2's launch, and the code being proven to work well, I would not at all object to KSP 1 having its code altered to bring in at least some of the optimizations made in KSP 2's code, even tho I know such a thing to be next to impossible due to the way that Intellectual Property laws work regarding source code of software in general and video games specifically.

Edited by SciMan

37 minutes ago, SciMan said:

To be quite honest I'm surprised we haven't been getting more "leaked" kinds of content, what with how enthusiastic the developers (and the entire forums) seem to be about KSP 2.

Mr. Nate, does anyone on the team feel like leaking that drop of pitch? @Nate Simpson

5 minutes ago, SciMan said:

If the leaks happen, and they're proven to be from an official source (and accurate at the time) and then game development continues and the game developers decide to do something that makes those leaks not reflect the final state of the game, it would be reasonable to expect at least some people to get angry, and that would be reflected in lost sales.
I don't want that happening, the game developers are doing quite a lot of work on a project they are passionate about, and they deserve to be compensated for their efforts.

Besides, it's much better to learn about "cut content" when the developers are not busy developing the game and have plenty of time to explain just why they cut whatever content ended up on the "cutting room floor" as it were, rather than to learn about the content being cut by a rushed statement prompted by a leak, with the explanation likely not being as finely detailed as people would like.

EDIT:
Of course, following KSP 2's launch, and the code being proven to work well, I would not at all object to KSP 1 having its code altered to bring in at least some of the optimizations made in KSP 2's code, even tho I know such a thing to be next to impossible due to the way that Intellectual Property laws work regarding source code of software in general and video games specifically.

It would be quite nice to know what's happening behind the scenes right now, and not filtered through a dev vlog.

Yes, it's a "nice to know", but by no means is it "required information", at least for myself.

I trust that they're busy working on the game as they have been, despite setbacks. I also trust that when the time is right, they will start releasing information about the game in a more coherent state than just talking about a single feature of the game, even if those updates have been quite nice.

To be honest I haven't even looked at the most recent Dev Diary yet. I just don't need to.
Between Satisfactory, Factorio, Dyson Sphere Program, Stationeers, and MechWarrior 5 (most of which I have heavily modded), I have plenty of other games to keep myself busy with, rather than spending all my free time here on the forums destroying my keyboard's F5 key.
I do check on the forums pretty much every day, replying on posts that interest me, but I'm not relying on any particular news from the KSP 2 developers to maintain a sane state of mind. I've been thru the whole "get hyped for a game and then have it be an unplayable disaster that you now feel like you paid far too much for" ride more than a few times (hey Electronic Arts, thanks for nothing!), so over the years I've learned to temper my hype with realism.

Here's my secret to happiness, as someone that has been diagnosed with depression in the past:
If I don't think I can do anything to change it in a way that benefits me, then I don't gain anything by worrying about it.
And that leads directly to me not worrying about 99% of the things that are happening in the world. I still know about them, they just don't bother me as much as they bother other people. Because if I can't do something about it, why should I let it negatively impact my mood? It's just the way things are, and it's gonna take someone else to make it better or worse.

To make that relate to my feelings on KSP 2 leaks, well I know that nothing I can do will make KSP 2 release any sooner. So I don't worry about it.
And besides, I've dealt with so-called "official" leaks regarding other games (Super Smash Brothers Ultimate for the Nintendo Switch), that turned out to be false, and so many of them in fact that now unless the information comes straight from someone I know to be directly related to the thing it's mentioning (which would be the developers for KSP 2, or Nintendo of America for SSBU), it's probably false (just like the "grinch leak" was false for SSBU).
So even if there was a leak, unless someone could trace it back to an official source, I wouldn't believe it.

These days you gotta verify everything you hear, no matter what the source is, and if it's too good to be true (or just doesn't strike you as accurate), then it probably needs a good looking over with a magnifying glass.
For example, I came to my own conclusion that NFTs and NFT-like things were usually a scam, before I discovered anyone else stating the same ideas.
The name is what tipped me off, because I know what the word "fungible" means.
If you don't know, "Fungible" goods are goods that can be readily traded for a wide variety of other things, or alternatively they're widely known to be worth something. So, Money is fungible. Electricity (when distributed via a nation-spanning power grid) is fungible. Certain universally useful materials like metals and crude oil are fungible.
But what if something's non-fungible? Well, if it's not readily tradable for a wide variety of things, or it's not widely known to be worth something, then what good is it? That means you're basically stuck with it if you bought it, because nobody can figure out what it's worth (if it's worth anything in the first place).
And being sold something that turns out to be worthless, is one of the oldest scams in the books.
EDIT: I mean, just look at the dang art they're putting with these NFTs, it's not even good art (in a classical sense). And all of them seem to be derivative of each other, which just degrades the quality of the art further (from the standpoint of an art curator of like a museum or something). Literally the only noteworthy thing about these pieces of art is the absurd price they sold for, given what they are.

Edited by SciMan

18 minutes ago, SciMan said:

If I don't think I can do anything to change it in a way that benefits me, then I don't gain anything by worrying about it.
And that leads directly to me not worrying about 99% of the things that are happening in the world. I still know about them, they just don't bother me as much as they bother other people. Because if I can't do something about it, why should I let it negatively impact my mood? It's just the way things are, and it's gonna take someone else to make it better or worse.

It's nice to know you've recovered from your initial attitude, but I'm not sure what this advice has to do with me.

It's not really advice so much as it is a small window into my mind, so that you might get a better understanding of where I'm coming from when talking about KSP 2 and how much new news from the KSP 2 developers matters (or not) to me.

7 hours ago, Bej Kerman said:

So the release window doesn't just cover 2022.

Yes, it does.

Look at where FY2023 and Calendar Year 2022 overlap.  It's somewhere in that area.

FY2023: 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Mar 2023
Calendar Year 2022: 1 Jan 2022 - 31 Dec 2022

So, since we know it somewhere in both of those date ranges, we can conclude that it is somewhere within 1 Apr 2022 - 31 Dec 2022.