Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

7 minutes ago, Bej Kerman said:

I hope it is - all the more time to catch game-breaking bugs.

Not very Kerbal of you.

52 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Ok guys, I figured it out. The game is going to be released on 20 July, the date of the Moon Landing. It all just clicked together.

Phbbbt... That's after National Churro Day; if true I lose the office pool.

50 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Any other hints for a July date?

I still think it feels like a bit of a stretch, but maybe not completely out of the question.

Switching gears slightly, there were a couple posts from a while back that could help narrow things down further. Last summer, they said that the console edition of KSP 2 would be coming in 2022 as well, but they didn't say when, or if it would release alongside the PC edition:

However, way back when KSP 2 was originally announced, they said that the console edition would come out a few months after the PC version, as per this post.

Who knows if the 2019 information is still relevant at all, but if they're still planning to have the console edition come out a few months after PC, that means the PC edition can't release later than September or so.

Edited by TheOrbitalMechanic
hit send too early

1 hour ago, Vl3d said:

Ok guys, I figured it out. The game is going to be released on 20 July, the date of the Moon Landing. It all just clicked together.

Release date and full gameplay trailer that day could be fun :)

Another thing I just thought of to consider:

For the past few months, new info drops have been released once per month, on the final Friday of the month. However, the most recent feature video was instead released two weeks after the last piece of information, which could maybe indicate a return to form of sorts for their marketing schedule.

Consider further: We're roughly 3 months out from July 20th. If KSP 2 were to release around then, marketing would probably be starting to spin back up right around now.

(This could also easily be nothing--I think we're all kind of grasping at straws here.)

I see a pattern of Private Division announcing release dates for their games at least ~1.5-2 months before them coming out.

Hades (PlayStation): 13 June -> 13 August 2021

OlliOlli World: 16 December -> 8 February

Disintegration: 7 May -> 16 June

The outer worlds: 9 June -> 25 October 2019 (statistical anomaly)

Ancestors: 23 May -> 27 august 2019

So we will either get an official ~20 July release date in ~4 weeks or we'll get a release date in July for the game coming out in late September/ early October.

Either way, next 4 weeks should clarify everything, including a delay.

Marketing campaign should be at least 3 months = 2 regular updates + 1 month heavy push. Meaning it should start in the next ~2 weeks to sync with a July release.

Let's see what happens this / next Friday.

Also consider SLS will launch June/July. Everyone's going to be hyped at that time.

Also all the big gaming conventions are in August / September.. so a release announcement in July also makes sense. Then the marketing and interviews ramp up right before launch in late September / early October.

Edited by Vl3d

15 hours ago, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

Another thing I just thought of to consider:

For the past few months, new info drops have been released once per month, on the final Friday of the month. However, the most recent feature video was instead released two weeks after the last piece of information, which could maybe indicate a return to form of sorts for their marketing schedule.

Consider further: We're roughly 3 months out from July 20th. If KSP 2 were to release around then, marketing would probably be starting to spin back up right around now.

(This could also easily be nothing--I think we're all kind of grasping at straws here.)

We're ready for our dream game, we can't help but grasp at straws!

Another subtle detail to throw out there that someone else pointed out, but discussion never caught on about was that in the Mun mission footage in Episode 5, time warp seems to kick in for the last second or two. None of the other footage has any time warp in it. Could be suggesting a faster release cadence for Feature Videos from here on out.

5 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Marketing campaign should be at least 3 months = 2 regular updates + 1 month heavy push. Meaning it should start in the next ~2 weeks to sync with a July release.

Let's see what happens this / next Friday.

Also consider SLS will launch June/July. Everyone's going to be hyped at that time.

Also all the big gaming conventions are in August / September.. so a release announcement in July also makes sense. Then the marketing and interviews ramp up right before launch in late September / early October.

I had already pretty well conceded that the game isn't releasing before September. Shadowzone's prediction just makes sense to me. So maybe a release date announcement in July while the world is a little more excited about aerospace than usual.

1 minute ago, razark said:

If we're basing guesses off of Apollo anniversaries, December is the 50th anniversary of Apollo 17.

I don't think they'd line it up with that.  It was sort of sad, the last time people would walk on the moon for 50+ years, and I think most people (including myself, before I saw that message) don't even know when Apollo 17 was.

You want my theory?  After spending a lot of time putting that timeline together, I've discovered some patterns.  If I had to guess, we will not hear anything this Friday in regards to a show and tell.  Typically, they have historically gone radio silence after a feature series video.  I'd love to be wrong though haha.  That's my near future prediction.  See what I did there @Nertea :wink:?  As for a far future prediction, oh God I can't stop myself haha, I suspect we will hear something in regards to a release date at Gamescom in late August.  This will be the first time since covid that Gamescom will return.  It is also where ksp2 was originally announced. We should also receive the final developer feature series video around that time.  Following that, PAX West will be early September giving a follow up opportunity to promote following the release date announcement.  All this will gear up for a October, November, or December release.  But who knows, maybe there is something more to mentioning the moon landing in the most recent feature video and specifically showing the newspaper clipping with the date of July 21st (morning after).  But I seriously doubt that would be the release date.  I think they are a little further out than that.  But maybe they will drop the last feature video on that day, with the release date.  none the less, I would certainly love to add something to the timeline this Friday!  

The July announcement theory sounds really good to be honest, along with Private Division's analysis for announce/release dates. It would be a perfect move.

I'm just hoping development is going just fine without major setbacks. If KSP2 is to be released in 2022, the next 2-3 months are decisive.

If they are targeting Fall, it's gotta be either July for announcement + Sep/Oct for release OR August Gamescom for announcement + Oct/Nov for release. July would work merely cause of the A11 anniversary, plus the theory of the video at the end showing the craft about to land. It makes "sense", but I'm inclined to think Gamescom would make more sense, since it would have way more attention drawn to it, and the built-up hype momentum would translate better on sales (maybe? I don't really know if that's how it works lol, just sounds more logical).

God damn, I can't believe 2022 marks 3 WHOLE YEARS since the trailer dropped. I can't remember a time in my life where I opened my eyes the way I did when I saw that thing on my feed. Been a really long time since I've been this excited for a videogame.

20 minutes ago, Minmus Taster said:

Me and the bois playing KSP2 when it drops in 2092:

Almost Half Of The World's Boomers Play Video Games – Business of Esports

I haven't really played Kebal since the KSP2 announce (I'm abstaining, it was only supposed to be six months or so). I'm occasionally struck by the uncomfortable idea that what I enjoy might be the fond memories of better times playing a game I loved, and that if my current gaming habits hold for KSP2, I will have spent far more time anticipating release on this forum than I will actually playing the game. It's a sad thought, so I'll go have some ice cream.

It's sad that it has to be 100% before release, I really loved the engagement that early Kerbal had with fans. Every release was a new present.

Edited by TLTay

13 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Think we will get a open beta?

Hopefully not :Dthat might just stretch out the waiting period.  I do hope the youtubers (we all know who) get early access  to either get videos ready for launch day or just pull tons of viewers. I could see that pulling in a ton of hype and would be pretty fun to watch.

2 hours ago, Volcomlancer said:

Hopefully not :Dthat might just stretch out the waiting period.  I do hope the youtubers (we all know who) get early access  to either get videos ready for launch day or just pull tons of viewers. I could see that pulling in a ton of hype and would be pretty fun to watch.

Even if they could only go to the Mun in a limited  beta, the hype would be unreal. 

About content creators getting early access... There's been a track record where all known KSP creators got access to updates a few days earlier to showcase for everyone, but a new game release is bound to be quite different.

I'm sure we'll get a gameplay trailer in the coming months, there's no way we'll get to release without a proper one. I remember a couple years ago, Private Division invited a few fellow creators AND modders to their event, and they got to play a very early build. I'm pretty sure that some of them will be asked to give the game a little go to check for the basics and how the game feels.

10 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

I'm sure we'll get a gameplay trailer in the coming months

Months, semester, year.. who knows. It's all so top secret.. nature forbid someone actually getting excited about this game.