Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

38 minutes ago, Vl3d said:

Months, semester, year.. who knows. It's all so top secret.. nature forbid someone actually getting excited about this game.

I'm the first one constantly calling out the "radio silence", but thinking about it, we might be a bit spoiled considering we come from the great communication and content showcase we used to have in KSP1.

We literally had a new Show and Tell every "couple days" with the CM showcasing new parts, texture and shader revamps for the upcomping updates, etc...

Now we are awaiting a brand new KSP installment and we feel like we are starved of such content because the time scale is absurdly long compared to what we used to have.

In a way it's understandable. On the other hand, I'm like PLEASE GOD GIVE ME SOME GAMEPLAY I JUST WANT TO SEE A TID BIT OF AN ACTUAL BUILD.

It truly feels like the initial 2019-2020 community engagement about KSP2 slowed down massively. Might just be me.

Edited by Lijazos

The thing Im most excited to see is how exactly colonies and research and resources and progression all tie together. Thats the heart of the game. I have no doubt they're close and working hard to iron out the details but I know how folks are feeling.

give-me-give-it-to-me-now.gif

Meanwhile I'm keeping my mind occupied with other things. Started working on cosplay (nearly done, or so I believe), finished another game (Jedi Fallen Order, which was terrible btw) started something else (LEGO Hobbit, to find why these games are so popular, and so far I still don't get it)..

I'm fine and pretty happy when something KSP2 related drops but I don't demand it or need it to function every day. Just a bit of sleep, water and food is enough. When it's there, it's there. When they're ready to show something, it will be there. If we got everything in form of showandtells, there wouldn't be much left for actual campaign.

tumblr_opfleiE1J61s2wio8o1_1280.gif

2 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

(LEGO Hobbit, to find why these games are so popular, and so far I still don't get it)..

Because it's easy, mindless fun or super challenging depending on the completion amount you're shooting for. (They really screwed up the mission selection by making it a huge open world with no obvious fast pathing though.)

My patience as turned to whenever it releases. Me hanging around the forums is my way of not forgetting about it.

18 minutes ago, The Aziz said:

If we got everything in form of showandtells, there wouldn't be much left for actual campaign.

They will reveal all gameplay features during the marketing campaign. Right now the teams just hoarding goodies.

52 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

I'm the first one constantly calling out the "radio silence", but thinking about it, we might be a bit spoiled considering we come from the great communication and content showcase we used to have in KSP1.

KSP1 community engagement was awesome. Right now we're just by ourselves.

But I'm gealous of how much information the WoW community is getting about their new expansion that's probably 1 year away from release.

If you go up to the daily kerbal and scan back there are often breaks of 2  to 5 months between actual information. Things only get busy right before updates. I think Squad was great about keeping us posted but Intercept has been every bit as good themselves. I understand how excited folks are but this 'radio silence' idea just isn't factually correct. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 minutes ago, drskitts said:

At this point I don't see KSP2 coming out anytime soon due to the lack of actual gameplay content. The "trailer" that released a couple of years ago show so much promise and now what we get is blah.

We've gotten plenty of information. It's definitely not going to be disappointing.

13 hours ago, drskitts said:

At this point I don't see KSP2 coming out anytime soon due to the lack of actual gameplay content. The "trailer" that released a couple of years ago show so much promise and now what we get is blah.

I'm sorry to say you are wrong, but maybe you have lived on Dres for a long time... here we have seen several gamplay videos

I had a wobble a few weeks ago, my belief wavered, but I'm firmly back in the "it will be out in 2022" camp.

We've probably got one more feature video left, and I don't think we'll have to wait the usual 6months for it to come out. It'll drop, it'll have a release date, and that will be the start of the marketing push proper for release.

Edited by WelshSteW

3 hours ago, Laxez said:

I'm sorry to say you are wrong, but maybe you have lived on Dres for a long time... here we have seen several gamplay videos

I think what he's reacting to is the Pre-Alpha Capture disclaimer, rather than Beta game play videos that usually hit in the weeks before a release. 

/guess 

My disappointment is that it won't hit this summer - when I have plenty of time.  Instead it will likely drop for the holiday season (money money money!) which is when I'll be busy. 

On 4/23/2022 at 5:18 PM, JoeSchmuckatelli said:

I think what he's reacting to is the Pre-Alpha Capture disclaimer, rather than Beta game play videos that usually hit in the weeks before a release. 

/guess 

My disappointment is that it won't hit this summer - when I have plenty of time.  Instead it will likely drop for the holiday season (money money money!) which is when I'll be busy. 

Honestly I doubt it, holiday season is only months away, there's no hype (leaks or whatever) and there's no marketing at all for KSP2. 

The thing I hold onto is that KSP isn't meant to be a famous game. It's a cult game. For the people on this board, it's endlessly interesting. The complexity weeds out the Star Wars fans, and leaves the guys with Delta-V Maps pinned to the wall beside our computers.

But the learning curve and the 'hard sci-fi' angle make it less widespread. They aren't going to hype it like Horizon Zero Dawn or Elden Ring.  And for the people waiting for it, we'll know in thirty seconds, because what we lack in numbers, we make up for in passion.

Advertising isn't going to be done with a billboard, it'll be done here on this forum.

On 4/23/2022 at 7:53 AM, WelshSteW said:

I had a wobble a few weeks ago, my belief wavered, but I'm firmly back in the "it will be out in 2022" camp.

We've probably got one more feature video left, and I don't think we'll have to wait the usual 6months for it to come out. It'll drop, it'll have a release date, and that will be the start of the marketing push proper for release.

Welcome back to the camp! What brought you back WelshSteW?

3 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Advertising isn't going to be done with a billboard, it'll be done here on this forum.

I think you have no idea how many potential KSP players just don't know about KSP. The forum has linear growth with just a few hundred new accounts per month and a few dozen regular posters. There is a lot (lot!) of room for market growth.

KSP-Forum-New-users.png

17 hours ago, Ahres said:

Welcome back to the camp! What brought you back WelshSteW?

It'll sound silly, but it was the April Fool's stuff. There's no way they post jokes if the game's in trouble, imo. They must be feeling at least vaguely confident about it.

Edited by WelshSteW

On 4/25/2022 at 1:49 AM, Ferio said:

Honestly I doubt it, holiday season is only months away, there's no hype (leaks or whatever) and there's no marketing at all for KSP2. 

Welcome to the forum!

4 hours ago, Vl3d said:

So.. what changed 7 months later?

I mean if you run down all the things we've seen in dev blogs, show and tells, and the most recent dev video--quite a bit. More I would say than we've seen from Starship in that period. I forgot about this video though and I think its great. We can stick roughly with some of Nate and Tom's statements about getting a new generation familiar and excited about space exploration for the 'why' and 'what'. I think they've put a great deal of emphasis on that in the dev videos. Understanding the fundamentals of what it takes to traverse space was certainly what got me so obsessed with KSP1. KSP1 basically got us to think about what it takes to get from earth (Kerbin) to other planets, but really just to put footprints on the ground. KSP 2 seems to be about how to actually settle on those planets, live off the land, and go to other star systems. Not just space traversal, but living in and exploring space. Thats why Im so interested in ISRU, colonization, progression, and the science system. We've seen a little about ISRU and gotten some fair descriptions of the goals of the latter components, but Im not wholly surprised we haven't seen a full demo of building a colony or walkthrough of the tech tree. The reason I say that is in order to know exactly how complex colonization and resource chains want or need to be you have to test them, and you really need a lot of the other components of the overall build working before you can begin testing playability and pacing. Once you know roughly the scope of stuff players will need to unlock you still need to dig into how players unlock that stuff, how time-consuming that wants to be, then go back and reassess resource collection, resource chains, colony components, and around and round until things start clicking. Because so many parts are in play in this process, getting added, dropped, changed functions and values, it's kinda smart to just keep that all under wraps until you're darn close to a finished product. 

Then there's the other side of what ShadowZone mentioned--what is necessary and what is extraneous to the goal of working software? An easy one would be that rushing out marketing 6-10 months before release is not necessary. There are also features that aren't absolutely needed, like robotic parts, underwater parts, or fully integrated flight automation. I would even say though it would be nice have Multiplayer at release isn't absolutely necessary and could be rolled out later, especially considering you really want the core single player game, ISRU, colonization, etc well dialed in before you stack all of the complexities of multiplayer on top. Thats not to say it's unwise to consider it from the beginning so it integrates smoothly, just that that layer isn't critical to releasing a good game, at least to my mind. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 4/25/2022 at 4:49 AM, Ferio said:

Whoa what? Did I miss something? Is there a glitch in the matrix?

The "Holiday Season" is in SEVEN MONTHS, that's not "months away" (I see what you did there)... that's a half-year away! [snip]

Secondly, I'm pretty sure the marketing team can gather statistics on Steam, I've got the game "wishlisted" and I'm sure many others do too. This along with site traffic, forum hits etc. they may not "need" to hit the big red marketing button yet. Furthermore, depending upon when the release will be, they don't want to shoot their load too soon. I'm mean wow... do you really think they should be marketing 7-months ahead of time and doing a huge push? It's not a AAA title (in our minds it is), the rest of the world is too busy waiting for the next Call of Duty 2,000,000 with "Smell-O-Vison" so they can sniff eachothers boot sweat, and jockstraps; just sayin'. 

Anyways rant over, just had to respond to Mr. "It's only MONTHS away"... so is the development of warp drive... it's only MONTHS away!

*Edit: 7-Months is a loooong time for any development team, except for RSI... they view development in terms of decades, and centuries.

Edited by Gargamel
Portions Redacted by Moderator

On 4/25/2022 at 6:31 AM, stephensmat said:

The thing I hold onto is that KSP isn't meant to be a famous game. It's a cult game. For the people on this board, it's endlessly interesting. The complexity weeds out the Star Wars fans, and leaves the guys with Delta-V Maps pinned to the wall beside our computers.

But the learning curve and the 'hard sci-fi' angle make it less widespread. They aren't going to hype it like Horizon Zero Dawn or Elden Ring.  And for the people waiting for it, we'll know in thirty seconds, because what we lack in numbers, we make up for in passion.

Actually... I would call KSP a "cult classic" because it is. It has a huge following among engineers and particularly in the PC master race.

Why would they advertise on the forum? That makes no sense... people who are already aware of the development cycle and come here even semi-regularly will catch wind of the release date. I'm usually only on here once every few months to check in, but I have enough interest to stay connection...no need to spend the money to garner my interest (same with everyone else on here).

They'll post on Steam, push to have KSP2 stamped right on the front page, and throw out all of their videos, and some additional advert content to garner interest. Furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if they do something with KSP "Classic" (TM... you heard it here first); like giving KSP 'Classic' full VR support or something like that. Charge a KSP Classic entry fee of $5.00 to get people hooked then they'll buy KSP2.

Only question is how much will KSP2 be when released; I'm guessing $39.00 as an entry fee with additional expansions around the $19.00 range.

On 4/21/2022 at 5:51 PM, The Aziz said:

Meanwhile I'm keeping my mind occupied with other things. Started working on cosplay (nearly done, or so I believe), finished another game (Jedi Fallen Order, which was terrible btw) started something else (LEGO Hobbit, to find why these games are so popular, and so far I still don't get it)..

I'm fine and pretty happy when something KSP2 related drops but I don't demand it or need it to function every day. Just a bit of sleep, water and food is enough. When it's there, it's there. When they're ready to show something, it will be there. If we got everything in form of showandtells, there wouldn't be much left for actual campaign.

This is a nice change from the usual whinging about the time between dev posts and oh how so long KSP 2 is taking to arrive.