Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Yes but actually no. There's a thing about competition. If you release two similar games right next to each other, one of them will suffer from this. Usually the more niche one, no matter how good it is. While the initial sales may be great, the further interest will drop significantly. I've seen it before.

So please don't. Get at the very least a month difference between big space game launches. If possible of course.

That’s the thing though, they are not similar games, not even close. That is the key. 

1 hour ago, MechBFP said:

That’s the thing though, they are not similar games, not even close. That is the key. 

They do not compete on genre, but they will be competing for attention, budget, drive space, advertising, and storefront space, and believe me starfield will win all of those.

20 minutes ago, PDCWolf said:

They do not compete on genre, but they will be competing for attention, budget, drive space, advertising, and storefront space, and believe me starfield will win all of those.

Oh for sure, no doubt. But people will get bored of it eventually and having heard about KSP2 around the same time might mosey on that way. 

25 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

Oh for sure, no doubt. But people will get bored of it eventually and having heard about KSP2 around the same time might mosey on that way. 

Hard to hear about KSP2 when all your storefronts have "STARFIELD" in big letters plastered on art from the game, which has been the case for most recent big game launches.

This on top of KSP2 probably going for a 60 USD tag would be really suboptimal, even if people did find out about the game in this alleged "space game craze" that starfield may create, most would probably still be out of budget for a second 60 USD drop, even more if Starfield comes with some sort of deluxe edition or season pass or whatever. They need to make it it's own thing, using T2 money to make the storefront theirs, and not go hoping for the falloff of whatever Bethesda does.

29 minutes ago, MechBFP said:

I think it is better to release at the end of that interest period and not at the release of another game. People will have forgotten about KSP but will see all the hype around the game that is releasing right at the time they are getting bored, and buy that instead

32 minutes ago, t_v said:

I think it is better to release at the end of that interest period and not at the release of another game. People will have forgotten about KSP but will see all the hype around the game that is releasing right at the time they are getting bored, and buy that instead

The problem is the interest period varies wildly. 

1 hour ago, PDCWolf said:

they will be competing for attention, budget, drive space, advertising, and storefront space, and believe me starfield will win all of those

From a business POV I think it's safe to say KSP2 must be released before Starfield. I'd bet October, after being announced on 20th of July.

Edited by Vl3d

On 5/2/2022 at 3:52 PM, pwatx1 said:

I think Private Division could treat multiplayer function as a DLC, it have several benefits:

first we could get the KSP2 earlier.

second people don't like multiplayer function only need to buy the game

third people like multiplayer function also get their desire, the only cost was waiting a bit more time and a little money for dlc.

forth Private Division could earn additional money from DLC.

Perfect! Everyone is happy!

Honestly, i agree

On 5/2/2022 at 10:52 PM, pwatx1 said:

I think Private Division could treat multiplayer function as a DLC, it have several benefits:

first we could get the KSP2 earlier.

second people don't like multiplayer function only need to buy the game

third people like multiplayer function also get their desire, the only cost was waiting a bit more time and a little money for dlc.

forth Private Division could earn additional money from DLC.

Perfect! Everyone is happy!

Agreed. And if I'm honest, I wish more games had this option. Red Dead Redemption split Single and Online Play into two totally different games years after release, because they were totally different experiences for mostly different audiences.

On 5/1/2022 at 10:08 PM, KSP_linux0191 said:

Wait, they did? I don't remember...

From what I recall, no they didn't promise anything.  

I was more like a passing comment to the effect of "We are thinking about/would like to look at adding MP at some point if we can"  which was taken by some to mean 'MP is a thing that is promised, because we want it!'

3 hours ago, stephensmat said:

Agreed. And if I'm honest, I wish more games had this option. Red Dead Redemption split Single and Online Play into two totally different games years after release, because they were totally different experiences for mostly different audiences.

It serves well for Rockstar games, they can abandon the single player portion earlier using multiplayer as an excuse and hide the worse predatory monetization tactics in the multiplayer behind the high vote the critics gave to the Single player when the crap they put in multy wasn't public yet.

Question, do you even plan to play multiplayer or you just want the single player earlier? Because, to me, it just sounds like not wanting multiplayer and it being a separate DLC being the next best thing after it being canceled altogether.

20 hours ago, PDCWolf said:

Hard to hear about KSP2 when all your storefronts have "STARFIELD" in big letters plastered on art from the game, which has been the case for most recent big game launches.

Guaranteed storefront visibility is exactly what Epic has been using to lure some titles over as exclusives (on top of the licensing incentives).  In fact, storefront visibility was cited as the primary decision factor by Piranha when releasing MechWarrior 5 on Epic a while back.

It's definitely a big consideration for publishers, and even with Take 2's clout, they'll need to plan their release around the big dogs, even though KSP2's ever-expanding budget seems to be nudging it closer and closer to A-list territory.

29 minutes ago, Chilkoot said:

Guaranteed storefront visibility is exactly what Epic has been using to lure some titles over as exclusives (on top of the licensing incentives).  In fact, storefront visibility was cited as the primary decision factor by Piranha when releasing MechWarrior 5 on Epic a while back.

It's definitely a big consideration for publishers, and even with Take 2's clout, they'll need to plan their release around the big dogs, even though KSP2's ever-expanding budget seems to be nudging it closer and closer to A-list territory.

To be fair MW5 only hope was store front viability given the unfinished mess that it was. Don’t get me wrong though, as a MechWarrior fan I had a lot of fun with it, but it was a fairly bad game otherwise. 

In the end no matter the timing KSP2's best shot is just to be a good game. If the gameplay and mechanics are fun and engaging and well designed and average gamers can get through the initial learning curve it'll be a big hit. If the reviews are 80%+ favorable and it makes some best-of lists word will get out and people will buy it. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

26 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

If the reviews are 80%+ favorable

Just wait till steam page gets review bombed by T2 haters (you know, those who still didn't get over Star Theory situation)

10 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Just wait till steam page gets review bombed by T2 haters (you know, those who still didn't get over Star Theory situation)

Heh, bet there's still people that hasn't gotten over the EULA change a few years ago claiming KSP was a "spyware". Internet is dumb.

How about we argue the merits of the Epic Store when and if KSP-series games are sold there? People are getting very angry with each other over things which haven't happened yet and might not ever happen. 

I think the anger is because it's been one month since the Interstellar video came out and it's been complete radio silence since.

We're starting to imagine things because there is very little official communication with the community.

Don't stress, devs are probably busy testing / fixing bugs and the marketing team is crafting promotional materials for the upcoming campaign.

Hope we get some news tomorrow.

Just ruminating on the collective certainty that Starfield will release on time and be a massive hit despite being shown nothing but a few scraps of concept art 6 months before the release date. Weird sort of dissonance there. 

2 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Just ruminating on the collective certainty that Starfield will release on time and be a massive hit despite being shown nothing but a few scraps of concept art 6 months before the release date. Weird sort of dissonance there. 

Basically the same for KSP2.

13 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

^^^+1... not to mention their roundtable discussions in the Bethesda lounge were somewhat awkward... even cringe worthy.

7 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

^^^+1... not to mention their roundtable discussions in the Bethesda lounge were somewhat awkward... even cringe worthy.

Eh I enjoy them. I think if they can pull it off a really deep reevaluation of the persuasion system could be amazing. I don't even think the approach is wrong. They also kept Elden Ring really quiet right up till release. All that matters in the end is whether the game is good or not. I had no intention of buying an Xbox but Starfield has me tempted. I'll wait to see what folks think a few weeks after it drops to decide if its worth it. 

23 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Eh I enjoy them. I think if they can pull it off a really deep reevaluation of the persuasion system could be amazing. I don't even think the approach is wrong. They also kept Elden Ring really quiet right up till release. All that matters in the end is whether the game is good or not. I had no intention of buying an Xbox but Starfield has me tempted. I'll wait to see what folks think a few weeks after it drops to decide if its worth it. 

It was not only the context but the setup and delivery... this would be akin to me walking into a business meeting with a potential client, the client then says they can't make it... yet my boss and I sit in a room and talk about how great our product/company is for hours and blow smoke up each other's tailpipes.

It was complete self congratulatory, pats on each others backs, and just weird hearing how this was 'always' the game they wanted to make. The rhetoric used was all pre-rehearsed fluff with no substance on content creation or even what 'type' of game it is.

12 hours ago, Vl3d said:

Basically the same for KSP2.

If you need a tissue let me know... I'm here to help.

20 minutes ago, saxappeal89129 said:

even what 'type' of game it is.

I'm guessing you're talking about Starfield? I get that. All I can figure out is it's a space-based RPG. Ok, but what's the story? They have you hunting a "mystery." Ok, but why? Nothing. At least we know the ideas behind KSP. The systems behind the game may be unknown at the moment, at least we know what it's about.