Kerbal Space Program 2 to be released in 2022 [Discussion Thread]

Arco123

Just now, WelshSteW said:

I am now less confident about something happening today :( But, I still think these are good signs, and that we'll hear something positive pretty soon :D

Next week, maybe? It could be that they don't want to put anything out before the official earnings report.

For all we know, in a few days marketing could begin and this game could come out.

(Im not saying this will actually happen)

1 hour ago, WelshSteW said:

I am now less confident about something happening today :( But, I still think these are good signs, and that we'll hear something positive pretty soon :D

Your right! 

I think people forget that if this game comes out this year, we are less than 200 days away from release (and probably much less than that).

7 hours ago, pss88 said:
8 hours ago, PlutoISaPlanet said:

Is the planned release date 2022 on the steam page new?

Also the website update has a pic of ksp 1 for interstellar travel, which is strange.

This doesn't look real to me. The language on the bottom doesn't seem 'professional'. Also the chart doesn't make much sense. Also I dont want to wait until next year for KSP 2.

I'm sure 'Coming soon' changed to '2022' at least at the beginning of the year. Or maybe even earlier.

Yeah I'm fairly confident its been that way since late last year around November

In the February financial report, the release of KSP 2 is indicated as standard - in fiscal year 2023, that is, until the spring of 2023. There is no new report yet. If the game is postponed for another one and a half to two years, then this means that there has been some kind of terrible disaster in development. I would bet a hundred bucks that the game will be released in February-March 2023, yet T2 usually announces the approximate release date of the game not a week, but several months or even years before the release. Still, you need to understand that 90% of the players will not fly further than the Mun, 95% will not fly further than the Dune, and therefore it is not too difficult to satisfy the majority of the players. And fix bugs will continue until 2034, judging by the KSP 1 bug tracker...

31 minutes ago, PopinFRESH said:

Yeah I'm fairly confident its been that way since late last year around November

It was 2022 for a long time, then changed to "coming soon" for awhile, and then a number of months ago it changed back to 2022.

4 minutes ago, whatsEJstandfor said:

I will take this bet, because I have no idea what you're basing that prediction on

I based my prediction on my long experience of missing deadlines and promising to get things done by the estimated time :D

1 minute ago, Alexoff said:

I based my prediction on my long experience of missing deadlines and promising to get things done by the estimated time :D

The last update we had from Intercept was that it'd be 2022, and nothing since then, from them or the publisher, has contradicted it, tho

16 hours ago, Ferio said:

Made a mistake. The leak says 1st of 2024 see leaked image below

FSA-3AbX0AEgoLW?format=jpg&name=large

Several red flags which would suggest its fake

14 hours ago, Ferio said:
16 hours ago, stephensmat said:

What does 1H mean in this context? First Quarter?

Yes

No, 1H stands for First Half not First Quarter. 

12 hours ago, Master39 said:

It takes like 15 minutes to make an image like that and it feeds the gaming info sites and forums for a week or two since it's GTA VI we're talking about. And then another additional week when they report the actual Earning Call and how the image was a fake all along.

I see quite a few red flags in that image: taking it from a screen or projector to remove any imperfection, the use of "1H Calendar" and "2H Calendar" that was absent from the previous one (which focused on the FY since that's what matters in an earning call), the reveal of a title as big as GTA VI made casually in an earning call, the fact that the Max Payne remaster was supposed to be for the first 2 titles (I read somewhere) and it's not Rockstar working on them.

I'm not going to say it's 100% fake, but sure enough it's worth to just wait for the actual thing to be released in a few days.

Concurred. 

- Announced To-Date / To Be Announced

So everything? I haven't ever seen them have a "To Be Announced" in an earnings report like this. As you've noted, this would be a very large deviation from their normals to include an unannounced title such as GTA 6 in a quarterly report.

- The use of "Calendar"

This has been used before such as in their Q2'22 report, however, they also included the Fiscal Year in parentheses. Secondly, the content in the table has used an all caps font for all of the reports I've seen where they include a similar table. "Calendar" being the only word that is camel cased is a red flag that this was photoshopped

Also concurred on the off kilter angle of the photo taken using a projector / display is often used to minimize or hide imperfections of image manipulations and to not have any potential trace of those edits in the image metadata.

Part of the reason we're all up in arms is because the gaming community in general has been thrown out of whack since 2019. E3 just doesn't happen anymore, neither does a lot of the 'exhibitions' where they usually announce these things. KSP is not exclusive to any platform.

Next big 'games event' is Gamescom, in late August. I figure if we don't hear anything by then, assume a 2023 delay.

4 hours ago, PopinFRESH said:

- Announced To-Date / To Be Announced

So everything? I haven't ever seen them have a "To Be Announced" in an earnings report like this. As you've noted, this would be a very large deviation from their normals to include an unannounced title such as GTA 6 in a quarterly report.

- The use of "Calendar"

This has been used before such as in their Q2'22 report, however, they also included the Fiscal Year in parentheses. Secondly, the content in the table has used an all caps font for all of the reports I've seen where they include a similar table. "Calendar" being the only word that is camel cased is a red flag that this was photoshopped

Also concurred on the off kilter angle of the photo taken using a projector / display is often used to minimize or hide imperfections of image manipulations and to not have any potential trace of those edits in the image metadata.

This is a pretty good list of points! I'd also add that there seems to be a different font for the top part where it says "Pipeline Details"  when you put the "leaked" image next to the real slide from the last earning report--the L's look slightly different.

Edited by TheOrbitalMechanic

On 5/14/2022 at 4:47 AM, stephensmat said:

Part of the reason we're all up in arms is because the gaming community in general has been thrown out of whack since 2019. E3 just doesn't happen anymore, neither does a lot of the 'exhibitions' where they usually announce these things. KSP is not exclusive to any platform.

Next big 'games event' is Gamescom, in late August. I figure if we don't hear anything by then, assume a 2023 delay.

It would be quite trashy to not hear a single word during the entire summer tbh. We should hear something about the actual game other than "look at this video of a new asset we just textured" on a Friday.

Give us details about release. Whether if it's still planned for 2022 or if a delay is in place. The sooner we know the better.

I cannot get my KSP fix because I'm waiting for KSP2 :o

3 minutes ago, Lijazos said:

Give us details about release. Whether if it's still planned for 2022 or if a delay is in place. The sooner we know the better.

That said software projects don't work like that. I imagine there already is a financial incentive to releasing sooner, and any other considerations do not move the needle any further. So I will sit here with my withdrawals :(

On 5/13/2022 at 11:59 PM, TheOrbitalMechanic said:

This is a pretty good list of points! I'd also add that there seems to be a different font for the top part where it says "Pipeline Details"  when you put the "leaked" image next to the real slide from the last earning report--the L's look slightly different.

Concurred the header font is also definitely different than their previous investor reports. Again, it doesn't mean this is 100% fake however there are plenty of red flags which reasonably cast doubt on the validity of the leaked image. We will know for sure tomorrow when they publish the slides ahead of the quarterly investor call.

On the same token, I also don't expect that we will get any additional news one way or the other on the launch of KSP2 tomorrow (assuming the slide is a fake).

If it's bad news (doubt it), and it indeed will be in the report, the team would have to make a public announcement ASAP because keeping silent when the info is already there is very bad for PR, even aside from the possible delay itself. You know, all online tabloids talking about another delay but stating with big letters that dev team hasn't addressed this yet.

Then, if there's no news, I wouldn't expect anything, because nothing changed. Still 50/50 chance for something to appear on Friday and more info when they decide to unveil it.

Before I begin, sorry for not getting back to this sooner, I've been busy playing other games while I wait for KSP 2 to come out.

On 5/12/2022 at 3:29 AM, MechBFP said:

Well that is just plain wrong lol. 
How about not ignoring things like Orbiter using a pre-calculated existing model for the solar system orbits and the game only doing n-body on one or two vessel for starters?

I didn't ignore those things. In fact, those specific things are what reduce the problem's complexity down to the point that it's approachable with the resources of a regular old computer (not even a gaming computer).

Additionally, this is EXACTLY the same simplifying assumptions that Principia uses, and that seems to not bog down KSP 1's frame rates that much (aside from the specific bugs with it that are IMO primarily due to it being a mod and not integrated directly into the game).
Those simplifying assumptions turn it from "True N-Body" to the "restricted N-Body" problem.
Yes, the "Non-restricted" N-Body is something reserved for supercomputers, because that's what it takes to handle so many interdependent variables all changing all at once, even with as few bodies as the Jovian moon system (with just the 4 Galilean moons).
However, that's massively overkill for what we need when we're trying to figure out the orbit of an artificial satellite with (comparatively to the planets and moons) negligible mass and negligible effect on the trajectory of other vessels (allowing you to calculate them as if they were separate problems sharing the common constants of the orbits of the celestial bodies, which again massively simplifies things).

This is because the N-body problem is an expansion of the 3-body problem (a problem for which there is famously no stable solution that can't be reduced to a number of weakly-connected 2-body problems), and because doing it in 3 dimensions just means even more math than just doing it in 2 dimensions, which is already "unsolvable" in the way that there's no stable solution.

So from that (not what I was saying at all) angle, yeah N-body needs a lot of computing power.

But what I was talking about is the version of N-Body that matters to someone piloting a space vessel that isn't the size of the Death Star (aka a satellite or even a multi-thousand ton ship won't have enough impact on the other things to make a difference in the way you pilot it).
That means I'm talking specifically (and only) about the Restricted N-Body problem.

And with Orbiter using those simplifying assumptions, and even using a rather complex calculus-based integration method that works well with computers because computers usually process physics things one time-step at a time (7th or 8th order Runge-Kutta), which is actually some pretty dang complex math, it was still able to achieve 600 fps, with well over 100 artificial satellites in orbit of various planets and moons, without issues on a low-spec 2006 single-core school laptop that probably had a single-core clock speed of not over 3 GHz.

Considering that modern CPUs can do probably 10 times more math in the same amount of time, there's really not an argument to be made for performance limitations being the limiting factor in not using restricted N-Body orbital dynamics in KSP 2. Because a game that's over 10 years old was able to do just that, at 600 fps, on a much less powerful computer.

4 hours ago, SciMan said:

Before I begin, sorry for not getting back to this sooner, I've been busy playing other games while I wait for KSP 2 to come out.

I didn't ignore those things. In fact, those specific things are what reduce the problem's complexity down to the point that it's approachable with the resources of a regular old computer (not even a gaming computer).

Additionally, this is EXACTLY the same simplifying assumptions that Principia uses, and that seems to not bog down KSP 1's frame rates that much (aside from the specific bugs with it that are IMO primarily due to it being a mod and not integrated directly into the game).
Those simplifying assumptions turn it from "True N-Body" to the "restricted N-Body" problem.
Yes, the "Non-restricted" N-Body is something reserved for supercomputers, because that's what it takes to handle so many interdependent variables all changing all at once, even with as few bodies as the Jovian moon system (with just the 4 Galilean moons).
However, that's massively overkill for what we need when we're trying to figure out the orbit of an artificial satellite with (comparatively to the planets and moons) negligible mass and negligible effect on the trajectory of other vessels (allowing you to calculate them as if they were separate problems sharing the common constants of the orbits of the celestial bodies, which again massively simplifies things).

This is because the N-body problem is an expansion of the 3-body problem (a problem for which there is famously no stable solution that can't be reduced to a number of weakly-connected 2-body problems), and because doing it in 3 dimensions just means even more math than just doing it in 2 dimensions, which is already "unsolvable" in the way that there's no stable solution.

So from that (not what I was saying at all) angle, yeah N-body needs a lot of computing power.

But what I was talking about is the version of N-Body that matters to someone piloting a space vessel that isn't the size of the Death Star (aka a satellite or even a multi-thousand ton ship won't have enough impact on the other things to make a difference in the way you pilot it).
That means I'm talking specifically (and only) about the Restricted N-Body problem.

And with Orbiter using those simplifying assumptions, and even using a rather complex calculus-based integration method that works well with computers because computers usually process physics things one time-step at a time (7th or 8th order Runge-Kutta), which is actually some pretty dang complex math, it was still able to achieve 600 fps, with well over 100 artificial satellites in orbit of various planets and moons, without issues on a low-spec 2006 single-core school laptop that probably had a single-core clock speed of not over 3 GHz.

Considering that modern CPUs can do probably 10 times more math in the same amount of time, there's really not an argument to be made for performance limitations being the limiting factor in not using restricted N-Body orbital dynamics in KSP 2. Because a game that's over 10 years old was able to do just that, at 600 fps, on a much less powerful computer.

I don't think they will add N-Body but we can always wait for mods (I didn't read huge text) As well hardware is a thing back then games were way simple but there is now complex code and other things that require a lot of computing power like graphics and other stuff. But not to disagree with you I think it adds challenge but the devs want to get it released and don't want to delay it as its already been too long.  We can always wait for a mod that adds N-body physics.

12 hours ago, Lijazos said:

It would be quite trashy to not hear a single word during the entire summer tbh. We should hear something about the actual game other than "look at this video of a new asset we just textured" on a Friday.

I agree with the "new asset we just textured" statement. Doesn't look to promising for a 2022 release. And even with steam's "coming soon" could actually mean years if not decades.

Here’s the thing. It’ll be ready when its ready. When that time comes it’ll be great or it’ll have some bugs that get fixed, or not and it’ll be disappointing. Nothing else matters, and there is no divining the time nor the outcome. All any of us can do is wait. So relax y’all. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

5 hours ago, drskitts said:

I agree with the "new asset we just textured" statement. Doesn't look to promising for a 2022 release. And even with steam's "coming soon" could actually mean years if not decades.

What do you mean "with Steam's coming soon"? On the Steam store page it still shows "Planned Release Date: 2022".

32 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

sloth-soon-meme.jpg

Ok ok, since I'm going to be too lazy to bust out the Photoshop we're going to need to just get into the Theatre of the Mind mode for a sec...

Imagine if you will; you are looking at the Steam store page for Kerbal Space Program 2. It's glorious! You re-watch the cinematic trailer for the thousandth time. Your eyes drift slightly down and there it is....

Planned Release Date: SOONish

And back to reality, great job! You all did very well with your mental Photoshoping.